“Charming hotel, great location, efficient and friendly service!”

Hotel Meson del Mar
Ranked #10 of 75 Hotels in Veracruz
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located a couple of blocks from the Zocalo, in the very center of town. The room was big, with colonial charm but all services . America and all the other staff in reception extremely friendly and helpful all the time. Thank you .

• Stayed: May 2014

Reviewed October 18, 2010

I'm Mexican, and every time I read hotel reviews I try to filter those from people who were expecting a fancy Radisson in a small Mexican city. This time, I think I should have not filtered that much.

I chose this hotel because their website made it looks like a fabulous place, with cozy rustic rooms. And it was dirt cheap (350 pesos a night). I was planning on staying there one night on my own, and then a weekend with my parents and fiance a week later.

Let me be clear. The hotel is OK to spend the night. Is it clean? yes, I didn't find cockroaches or lizards. Did it feel good to be in the room? not really. The place was dark and smelled like it hadn't been ventilated in ages. The shower had a curtain bar hand made in a very poor fashion (a couple of rods with bolts looking really unstable), and the curtain itself had been cut out of a piece of plastic which we usually utilize to cover roofs (lona). My room was next to the road, at street level, and not only I could hear all the trucks at night, but the windows were really dirty and of course I couldn't open the curtains to let light in, since I would have become the local attraction to passer-bys.

Their telephone wasn't working (that I think was just bad luck) so I couldn't communicate with my family nor pay with card.

I was willing to give them another chance by maybe asking a room switch for my parents' visit until... I tried to shower the next morning. No hot water. Now, it is sometimes common practice in some hotels in Mexico to cut hot water on a certain schedule, but here, nobody warned me at all. It was really annoying to have to dress up and go out (telephone wasn't working, remember?) to discover an empty front desk. Only until I found the maintenance guy I got my hot water. I would have been embarrassed to make my parents go through this the week after.

I can't imagine having to go through this without speaking Spanish (at the front desk there was a 14 year-old kid in charge that morning).

Finally, when they say the have internet, don't expect it in your room. It's an old desktop in the second floor, good enough for email.

End of the story: I moved to Hawaii Hotel (where I'm writing this from), and even though I'm paying almost twice as much (600 pesos), I have a fabulous room with GREAT view, complimentary agua de horchata and internet in the room.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank alemenchaca
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Meson del Mar. I've traveled through Mexico and stayed at a lot of economical hotels. At this price, I can't imagine anything better and I CAN imagine a whole lot worse. The rooms are much nicer and better-appointed than you would expect for this price. The staff in January of '10 was delightful. The location is great, just 3 blocks from the Plaza Principal and about the same to the Malecon. And even though the rooms facing Calle Zaragosa can be very noisy, the upstairs rooms have double-doors to the terrazas that quiet the room beautifully when closed. It's a great place.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 5, 2009

no critica. perfect service. nice and helpful staff. everything was perfect. nice and clean room. clean bath-room.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Being the author's pick in a Lonely Planet guide made my colleagues and I select this hotel for a stay. The hotel looks quite nice, the rooms are clean and charming. But, as the hotel sits on a busy corner, I guess only a few rooms have adequate windows. We were not in those rooms and noise and fumes from the street came in unfiltered. In the room on the top floor, the airconditioning was crucial for survival, and the water was either cold in the morning, or boiling hot in the afternoon. We had to leave the hotel around 8 to go to our congress, but breakfast was only served from 9 / 9.30!!! We had breakfast once and it was ok. But as a result, we had to spend money every morning having our breakfast somewhere else, while it was included in our hotel price. No other guests appeared to be present in the hotel during our 6 nights stay (only 1 other room was indicated occupied on the pc for some days), leaving the staffmembers to entertain themselves (with very loud TV in the lobby at 6 in the morning some days). The mythical owner Arturo who seems to be one of the most appealing factors of this hotel, never showed up. Only 1 of the staffmembers speaks English well (Samantha, who was only there sporadically). All others do not understand even a word of basic English. Overall, the price of 350/450 was ok for the area compared to other hotels like Colonial, but as we would learn throughout the rest of our journey in Mexico, the Lonely Planet selection of hotels does not guarantee the best night's sleep...

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank Fitzgerald027
Reviewed November 25, 2007

I was at the hotel during hurricane Stan. Under terrible circumstances the staff made sure I was safe, comfortable, and informed. The manager even personally moved my rental car to a safe place to avoid damage from the flooding and brought it back when it was safe to do so. My companion was ill for a couple of days, and the staff kept a steady stream of toast and tea for him without being asked and without charge. I casually mentioned he wasn't feeling well as I went out one day, and they took it from there. The rooms are comfortable and charming, the location excellent, but the service tops anything I've ever experienced. Over the years I've stayed in half a dozen hotels in Veracruz, ranging from a suite at the Emporio to a basic room at the Amparo. Meson de Mar is the only place I will ever stay again. I can't over emphasize how genuinely caring and attentive they were.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank fcocanal
Reviewed October 23, 2007

Hotel Meson del Mar is a charming boutique hotel in the "Centro Historico" of Veracruz. The building itself used to be a mansion of a Spanish countess, and prior to that, it was a "House of Correction" for women. It is beautifully renovated and furnished and has a little courtyard with a reception area and a restaurant that specializes in seafood. The rooms have double windows, and are quiet and very clean. Internet service offered free (two computers serve clients who do not have their own laptop with them). Breakfast menu has good selections including very good coffee.
The staff is friendly and helpful. Some of them speak English. I enjoy staying there for many reasons; among them are the good location, the comfortable rooms, the friendly atmosphere and the Very Competitive price that includes breakfast. I have been returning to this hotel for several years already.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Ploni