“Try somewhere else!”

Ranked #65 of 77 Hotels in Veracruz
Wichita, Kansas
“Try somewhere else!”
Reviewed November 15, 2010

I will have to say after reading the reviews and now having stayed there I doubt TripAdvisor's rating system!!! This weekend a friend and I stay at the Hotel Playa. I had inquired about a reservation ahead of time but when we arrived they did not have us marked. They advertise rates by the number of people. There were two of us staying there but the room rate was more (from $300 to $400 pesos a night) than advertised because the only room they had was with an air conditioner. The room was small but seemed ok. Besides the stains on the sheets. Yuck! These stood out on the bed since there was only sheets and no other blanket. The first night was very cold and loud. People in the open air lobby and halls could be heard anywhere in the hotel. The next day I saw there was blankets in other rooms so we asked for them. They said we could ask later that day for blankets. Since we decided to stay and would be getting blankets we asked for a bigger room. We were already paying the highest rate for a small room. They said we could move rooms and the higher rate would be the same because of the view. This room was bigger and had a great view! It also had an air conditioner, which is why we were paying more before. So I'm not sure if the price was because of the view or the air conditioner.
The second day started off great until we had the air conditioner running for about 15 minutes. It started pouring water onto my bed and wouldn't stop. After about 20 min of the air conditioner being off it had filled 3 glasses full of water and one side of my bed was soaked. We told the front desk about the problem and they said they would look at it. Later that night we tried it again and the same thing happened. So no air for that night but we did have blankets.
Early (8am) both mornings there was construction coming from the building next door. Not their fault but there was no way to stop it. Not a real pleasant way to start the day on vacation.
We should just call it what it is: A small cheap hotel, that even 6 cab drivers didn't know existed, that is good for a hot shower and a decent location.

Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank jessicared

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I booked Hotel Playa after reading the recommendations on TripAdvisor. When I phoned them a couple of days before my arrival, I was surprised that the room rate was even lower than announced on the hotel's website: I paid only 200 Mexican Pesos (12 Euros) for a single room with the usual queen size bed. It was the cheapest hotel I ever stayed in while traveling through Mexico. For its price Hotel Playa is more than o.k., although not everything is perfect. I arrived in the evening asking for a quiet room. The receptionist gave me a room with street view, telling me it was the quietest they had, which was not true. All rooms are around a patio. Half of them have two windows: a street and a patio window. The other half are a bit darker and only have windows opening to the patio. The hotel was not full, so I could have been given what I asked for. The next thing I was not amused about wer the used bedclothes I found on the floor of my room. Apparently the maid had forgotten to take them with her after cleaning. At night I decided to use earplugs, which are useful not only against street noise. Due to its edificial structure this hotel can be noisy no matter which room you get. You might hear other guests coming back late at night or talking in the morning. The rooms, however, are simple but nice and clean. They are airy and bright, equipped with TV and two fans. The bathroom is small and the washing basin was in the room, but what do you expect for 250 pesos? You can have a Mexican breakfast in the lobby for another 55 pesos (3,25 Euros) - nothing to die for, but the friendly and helpful staff will always ask you what else they can offer you. The hotel is right opposite the beach, buses to the city center and to Boca del Río leave next door and I even had WiFi in my room. Recommended for budget travelers who can cope with some noise.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed July 21, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Playa Veracruz for one night at the end of June with our 2 dogs. This was a very clean hotel and the location is great! The staff were very pleasant and made it hassle free for our stay. We were driving from Texas to Cancun and found that most hotels will not allow dogs, but Hotel Playa Veracruz was extremely accomodating of us travelling with dogs. The hotel is located right across the street from the beach which made for a nice evening walk after we were checked into our room. The rooms were clean and tidy. The room did not have A/C, but once the window was opened and the 2 fans were turned On (provided by the hotel), the room cooled down quickly. We even had free wi-fi in our room! This is one of the cheapest hotels we found and was great. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Veracruz!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
US
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We stayed at the Playa for two nights in May while completing some research in Veracruz. The location was fantastic - right across from the beach. The room is basic - we had a double with 2 beds, 2 fans and a bathroom with a shower. The bathroom light did not work and the fans could not keep the room cool even when on full blast. If you need a/c do not stay here. I thought we'd get a beach breeze but we did not as our room faced a side street. Also, our room was not cleaned although they did give us new towels. My grad student was in the room when the maid came by but she could have made another pass because we left about 15 minutes later. The free internet did not work in the room and we continually had to go down to the lobby, the last night it did not work at all. People came in at 3am the next night with their kids and were shown a room right next to us (adjoining doors) - very loud, woke us up and didn't seem to end up staying.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
jbosco, General Manager at Hotel Playa Veracruz, responded to this review, June 9, 2010
As correctly said in our web page from where you booked online, there is only free internet access in the cafeteria and the reception area and fans in the hotel´s rooms. Those are the main reasons for the $250.- MXN you payed per night.

Sorry if there was any inconvinience with the cleanliness and noise when showing a room to new guests. That´s definitely up to us. Reviews like yours will help us improve our service and quality with any guest in the hotel.

We look forward to receiving you at Hotel Playa or at any other higher ranked hotel this same company manages.

Yours trully,

Juan Bosco Pérez
Online Bookings
Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I originally was skeptical about the enthusiastically positive reviews for this place, considering the incredibly reasonable price (tip: you get a slight discount for booking online). This is a very Mexican, basic hotel, with great service and value. There's no AC, but ask for a room with a window to the street or ocean, and you will get great ocean breezes. They will also bring you as many fans as you want. It's very clean, friendly, and a strong recommend. In my opinion, one of the most important factors in a hotel is the tourist/cheese factor. This place will make you feel like you're on a cool adventure, not sleezing it up with the package tour crowd.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Texas California
Reviewed January 13, 2010

The staff, the location, the price ALL wonderful! We rolled the dice and found the best place in VeraCruz! There is even SURF outfront of your door!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business