“good steak; everything else sub-par”
Review of Mardel

Mardel
Reserve with OpenTable
Mardel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 215 Restaurants in Veracruz
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The combination of quality and experience offered at El Gaucho Restaurant and a unique view of the Bay of Veracruz combine to create Mardel. The restaurant offers seafood specialties, argentinean grill and internationally influenced dishes with local and traditional roots.
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Mardel is a newish restaurant located right on the sea. The window tables afford pleasant views of the sea. The decor is a mish-mash, as if the restaurant cannot decide for 19th-century elegance or 20th-century kitsch, and from the number of televisions turned to sports you might think it a sports bar. No one was at the door to greet us. I ordered a lemonade which I had to send back three times, first because it lacked both lemon and sugar, second becuse it was made with sparkling rather than still water, and third because it was tepid and had only two small pieces of ice floating at the top. I ordered a steak and my friend ordered ravioli. My steak was accompanied by a salad that a greasy spoon would be ashamed to serve--large chunks of lettuce, shredded onions and one lonely wedge of tomato with an uninteresting oil and vinegar dressing. My order arrived ten minutes before my friend's--inexcusable in a restaurant with pretensions to elegance. My steak was excellent--perfectly cooked, tender, and flavorful. My friend's ravioli when it finally arrived was doughy and relatively flavorless. After the meal, we finally had to go find the waiter to ask him to bring the bill. He was watching a football game. This restaurant is too high-priced to accept thjis kind of sloppiness.

1  Thank BillVincent74

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Food- Best Rib Eye we've ever had. It was so soft and juicy we were absolutely impressed. Salmon: It was excellent, larger-than-usual portion, juicy and flavorful too. Lasagna: It was good, but compared to the previous 2 dishes there was no point of comparison.

Ambiance: Restaurant sits on the sea, so you get during the day one of the most beautiful views in the city. During the night it's really cozy and elegant.

Prices: Very reasonable. A fraction of what we paid at el cacharrito for much better food and service.

Drinks: On Friday evenings they have some wines on special. For $20 USD we had a fantastic bottle of Mexican wine, also the best Mexican wine we have tasted (and we attend wine tastings several times a year)

Service: Perfect, friendly and helpful without being overwhelming.

Tip: On Friday nights they have live music which was also great!

2  Thank Carla_2012
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The ribeye was the best I ever had! Great service from Victor, our host. Wonderful view. We have been there three times now and have enjoyed each visit.

Reviewed November 19, 2010

Have been at Mardel this week and really really liked it. The restaurant itself is really nice designed an you have a geat view. Its does have a lot more on it´s card than empanadas and I haven´t seen any hamurger at all.
As a starter we had a seafood cocktail, main course steak and fish with a local Veracruz Chillie (try it if you like it HOT ;) ..), dessert a yummy chocolate cake.
Service deserves an A+, it was really flawless.
It was really a nice expirience, and we certainly will come back when we are in Verzcruz.
( only recommendation for the restaurant: improve decoration or garnishment of dishes a little)

2  Thank sunny2312
Reviewed October 11, 2010

This place has maybe one of the best view on the city, the service is unbelivable, one of the greatest I have had in a restaurant in Veracruz, but when it comes to food and prices Oh my, total failure. When you first come in you can see what amazing decoration they have is fancy, fancy fancy everywhere, but then the waiter gives you the menu and is like hamburguers, empanadas, meats, pastas, french fries... kinda junk food with fancy prices!! Then you wonder, maybe the food worth it... but it really doesn't. If you like the view well, go to Mc Donald's and take a walk over the Malecon!! or go to Mardel for drinks, they have a good wines and good starters.

1  Thank KarlaM1