“a pleasant place to pass an hour or so.”

Restaurant Bar Regis
Ranked #97 of 183 Restaurants in Veracruz
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Holt, Michigan
“a pleasant place to pass an hour or so.”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Okay, so it's not deluxe. Mostly the food is average, not much more. But try a Vuelve a la Vida (come back to life), a seafood cocktail with loads of shrimp, crab, calamari, and avocado. Also, the seafood soup or the caldo de Cameron are excellent.

Then there is the view. There is nothing I like better than to pass an hour or two sitting at a Regis table near the action in the Zocalo. One can watch the world go by--the people, the vendors, the musicians, the dancers.

In the early evening one can often watch the danzon being performed to a fine danzonera orchestra: couples of all ages, from the very old to the very young, many of the men wearing the traditional white suit and hat and many of the women dressed to the nines, perform the stately, elegant dance that is emblematic of Vercruz.

You can be sure that there will always be music--good music. Fine marimba bands abound, as do small mariachi bands, lone guitarists or harpists. Sure, they ask for donations, but that's their living, and I figure, don't they deserve some coins for filling my ears with music? For 100 pesos, you can pick out songs to play from their playbook. If you are unfamiliar with Mexican music (and shame on you if you are), ask for three classics by the great Veracruz songwriter, Agustin Lara--"Veracruz", "Azul," and "Solamente Una Vez."

And then there are the vendors wending their way among the tables selling everything from rip-off watches and DVDS to native-made blouses, shawls, and jewelry. (Most of them are made in Chiapas or Oaxaca, by native Mexicans. If you buy any of their exquisitely embroidered pieces you will be helping the poorest of the poor). Others sell huge hand-made galleons, nuts of all kind, gum. One guy sells pieces of freshly made cheese with slices of pickled carrot. Try it. It's delicious.

Some people are put off by all the vendors. I find them interesting and always willing to bargain. If you do not want their attention, just tell them no with that eloquent Mexican gesture--the index finger waved slowly back and forth. (Also good to tell a taxi that you don't need one.)

Above all, you can sit in the Regis, eating your vuelve a la vida and, in my case, smoking a cigarette and drinking a coke, and watch the panoply of Jarochos (as Veracruzanos call themselves) passing by.

• Visited August 2013

Lucerne, Switzerland
“Solid - average service and food - but a great location”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had some dinner and drinks here when we stayed in Veracruz for two nights. This place was right next to our Hotel and that's basically why we went there.

There are lots of restaurants nearby, many facing the nice Zocalo. Every place looks similar and have a similar menu. We just wanted some good fun and a bunch of drinks. This place is good enough for some people-watching and to enjoy the great night-atmosphere of the busy Zocalo.

The food is very average (we had the Arrachera - beef skirt steak - which was ok). The beer was cold and the (mexican) wine was fine. Service is pretty much on the slow side. Prices are - for this location - fair. The menu mostly consists of the regular touristy "mexican" food with a bunch of fast food options thrown in. But we didn't come here for the food, we came here to drink and have a good night out. And for that it was fine. The night before we went to some other place...pretty much the same thing (except there we got some stomach-ache after the shrimp).

Wanna know more about my trips? Check my profile (where you'll also find my website with more info about my travels).

• Visited July 2012
“Just Okay - Nothing to Go Out of Your Way for”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Bar Regis is one the zocolo by the malecon in Veracruz. It is surrounded by many outside restaurants and they all seemed to bee designed to attract the foreign customer. There is a lot to see and take in here: musicians, vendors, people watching and watchers, but it gave me an overall uncomfortable, almost sleazy, kind of feeling. I wanted to order fish being in a city right on the Caribbean and started with a bowl of shrimp soup. The broth was a good spicy-tomato base but a squeeze of lime brightened it up considerably I came with almost a dozen head-on shrimp that I had to remove from my bowl because they were still in their shell and too hot to eat otherwise. y the time I'd finished the broth the shrimp were cool enough to handle and eat, but what a mess!! Each shrimp had to be peeled and deveined before eating and the restaurant provides nothing but a paper napkin dispenser to clean yourself with. My dinner arrived halfway though my soup course. I hate places that don't pace your meal. I ordered dorado Veracruz which I'd eaten many times before. Mine wasn't very hot any more by the time I got to it because it had been sitting waiting for me to clean and eat my shrimp. It was passable. My biggest complaint (besides it coming out halfway through the soup course) was that the dish had only ONE olive on it!! This is fish Veracruz style - it's all about the olives! With a forgettable glass of sangria, my bill came to $20.00. I've had far better meals for far less money in Mexico/

• Visited July 2012
San Diego
“Eat and shop at the same time.”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Eating at any restaurant in the Zocalo is an experience. If there is a band playing on the stage for the couples dancing the Danzon, it is an enjoyable experience. Not quite as enjoyable are the countless wandering small bands, mariachis, marimba players or harpists. Even if they are tables away, they will try and hit you up for a contribution. The next most annoying group of denizens are the everpresent vendors of watches, sunglasses, cigars, gum and candy etc., etc., etc. Lastly are the beggers who constantly approach with their hands inches from your face to make your dining experience even more unpleasant. The food, like so many other restaurants in Veracruz was underwhelming. Mediocre fish, some portions gigantic and other dishes for the same price miniscule.

Montreal, Canada
“On the famous Zocalo arcades”
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Good restaurant although I would not go out of my way to say is superb cuisine. Good seafood and the wine was good and inexpensive too (Chilean white wine). I had an excellent waiter, acommodating and helpful. Wonderful atmosphere on the Zocalo where hundred of things take place in one moment: marimbas, wind band on the square kiosk, balloons, people going by, craft market particularly unusual when I was there- day before Easter Sunday or Palm Sunday in Latin America. I had a wonderful Old Tequila to top off the meal. It was recommended by the waiter. No wonder the whole experience turned out to be out a little pricey but memorable.

1 Thank Ricardo C