“Fantastic”
Review of Casa de las Palmas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taxco
Casa de las Palmas
Ranked #2 of 14 Taxco B&B and Inns
Georgia
“Fantastic”
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I have had the privilege of traveling extensively throughtout Central and South America and can honestly say that the Casa de las Palmas is the best location I have ever stayed at. Absolutely beautiful, and even though it is located in the middle of the city of Taxco, it is surprising quiet and secluded. You feel as if you are on the side of a mountain all by yourself, just looking at the beautiful city below....I will go back. Fantastic

Stayed May 2008
2 Thank CurtGeorgia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reviewed March 8, 2007

My daughter and I stayed at Casa De Las Palmas in Taxco, Mexico. It is a lovely home with a lovely private yard and it is decorated beautifully! The staff, Oscar and Sylvia are great people! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA+++++++++++++ They will do anything for you. Sylvia handsqueezed oranges in the kitchen every morning and served the best coffe and sweet breads for us every morning. She is a great cook too! She made us a tasty traditional mexican dish with stuffed rellano peppers and chicken. Mmmm Mmmmm. I wish she lived close by to me here in the Smoky Mountains! We had a great time visiting all the silver shops in Taxco and sightseeing. I have a slideshow of that trip on myspace.
I would highly reccommend staying there. Sherry, one of the owners was so nice to work with and so helpful in making sure that everything was ready for us. We rented the main house. It has granite floors and walls that are about 18 inches thick. We even used the woodburning firelplace. I would do it all over again, only I would stay longer next time. It was about a 2 and 1/2 hour drive from Acapulco. We rented an suv. It probably would have been better to rent something smaller though, as the streets in this historic town are narrown and winding. The veranda at the main house overlooked the town and the historic Santa Prisca Church. If you go to Taxco, stay here. I was also told by locals that it is the nicest home in the town! We got lucky to find it and book it at short notice. The weather was really nice this time of year.

• Liked — Such a lovely home and so beautifully decorated!
  • Disliked — There are a lot of steep hills on the cobblestone hills, and congested traffic is normal. Would not be an easy trip for handicapped.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank irishwishes
Yuba City, Cal
Reviewed February 19, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a cultural trip to Taxco, Mexico. We have been to other Mexican cities in years past and to tell the truth, if it wasn't for the fact that I was on a mission, Mexico would of been the last place you'd find me. Until now!
If you are looking to go to a place that nurtures all of the senses, Taxco is the place to go. It is rich in history, art, architecture and 360 degree breath taking views.

Casa de las Palmas is probably the nicest behind closed doors villa in Taxco. When the double arched doors open onto the green spacious lawn you see the signature palm trees waving their frans back and forth in the breeze. You are greeted by two of the biggest grins in Mexico, Oscar and his wife Sylvia. Oscar speaks, reads and writes English better than I do.

As you walk to the main villa, you are amazed at the vegetation. Lemon trees, roses, coffee bush, plantain banana tree, bogenvilla and other plants that I have no idea what they are.
To the left is a brick patio with a waterfall, here we will have breakfast every morning. To the right Oscar slips the keg into the old fortress door. You do not know where to go first, straight out the double doors to the 40 ft. patio, to the right with its fireplace and three big lounge couches, to the left through those double doors to the master, master bedroom or just sit myself down at the antique wooden dinning table with the chandelier above? We went instintively to the patio. We are overlooking the village with its red tile roofs. The dome and twin towers of the Santa Prisca chruch. All I can imagine is entertaining the most interesting people out on this veranda. "Our best wine please!"
Next we visit the bedroom which has a beautiful fireplace, two king size beds and a small library. The bathroom is as big as my kitchen at home. Poor Oscar and Sylvia are just watching us run from one room to the other.

I am researching an artist that spent alot of time in Taxco. He was an instructor at the CASA FIGUEROA art school in the 30's, 40'sand 50's. HIs name was Abel G. Warshawsky. (1882-1962)He was friends of William Spratling and if you go to Taxco you will learn of his contributions to the the town. To make a long story short, I was successful in several areas. To our amazement, the towns people were extremely helpful. In fact, one older woman just opened up here home to us which was filled with literature and art all about Taxco. Her huband had been the mayor of Taxco several years ago.

What I really want to impart, is that if you have reason to feed your mind with a wealth of fascinating history and want to do it as those who were the who's who of Taxco, you must stay at CASA de las PALMAS!

Oscar and Sylvia make sure are well taken care of and that no one takes avantage of you as a tourist. I can't tell you how many times Oscar dropped what ever he was doing and went in search of what we needed. We would look up and there he would be. DONE! Sylvia is a great cook and welcomes you in her kitchen.

This is my little secret. After Oscar and Sylvia would go home everynight I would go sit at the big dinning table with my glass of wine and on the floor is a bell ringer that you hit with your foot which alerts the kitchen you need the staff to bring dinner, more wine or to clear the table. I liked to sit there and pretend I was the Mexican Princess and ring the bell. No one ever came though??????????
When we return to Casa de las Palmas, I am going to have a party on the patio and invite Diego Rivera, Freida Kohla, Fidel Figueroa, Carlos Pappe, Jamie Oates, William Faulkner, Cary Grant, Abel G. Warshawsky.......I know they have already been on the patio of Casa de las Palmas. Boy, if walls could talk, this place would have volumes! You feel the importance of this place and you feel important just being thereI

A review by a different guest was just published in the San Francisco Chronicle Travel section. It was written by Rick Weiss of the Washington Post. Sunday, February 4, 2007. Also get the book "Stuffed Shirt in Taxco" by Leslie Figueroa and read before you go.

• Liked — Villa location and history of city
  • Disliked — all up and down hills to get around
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank Regeob
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 19, 2006

Taxco is possibly the most beautiful city in Mexico--strung up and down steep hillsides. The streets are so narrow that all the taxis are VW bugs & they seldom get out of first gear. Casa de las Palmas is only a couple of blocks above the main square where Santa Prisca is located, but they are steep blocks & you'll stop & puff once or twice unless you're in better condition than we are. It's a private home, so inside the walls it's totally peaceful and quiet (except when they shoot off the aerial bombs as part of the Dia de Muertos celebration, which happened when we were there). Silvia, the maid/cook, took excellent care of us and the property. There are maybe 100 DVDs in the living room but we never watched one; mostly hung out in one or another of the 2nd-floor cafes & restaurants on the main square, people-watching. And, if you like silver jewelry, Taxco has the finest collection in the world at decent prices.

• Liked — Location, space, privacy, quiet
  • Disliked — No problems at all
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Senior_Dilettante
Lake Stevens
Reviewed October 23, 2006

The Casa de las Palmas is a private home and apartment in it's own beautiful compound about 3 short blocks above the zocalo and Santa Prisca church. It is American owned so making reservations via telephone or internet is extremely easy.

My husband and I stayed in the apartment, which is pretty, but so noisy you CANNOT sleep at nite, as it is right beside the little road.

DO stay in the house which is across the compound and has such thick walls no noise gets thru! It's huge and beautiful and peaceful!

If you are in Taxco for more than a few days, this is the place to be! The house and apartment have kitchens, linens, and DVD players, and the caretaker Oscar has great English and is very helpful. Also on the rooftop of each building is your very own patio with incredible views!

11 Thank wrzsjz