“Very Accommodating!”

Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Taxco
Midland, Texas
“Very Accommodating!”
Reviewed March 24, 2010

We only stayed for one night, and it was just what we were looking for. The rooms are OK-priced for what they are, at 550 pesos for a queen bed. The room was clean with hot water.
I don't know if the staff speaks much or any English, but I wouldn't let that deter anyone who only speaks English. If you do speak Spanish, do get to know the staff because they are extremely friendly.
The location is GREAT, and the lobby is beautiful...perfect for an evening drink. There isn't a whole lot to offer for food other than the meal of the day or some coffee in the morning — they had cereal written on their menu, and when I asked for it, the owner walked across the street and bought fresh milk and cereal. We met another couple where the owners let them use the kitchen to chop up some fruit they had bought from outside.
We decided last minute to go to Las Grutas outside of Taxco, but were supposed to check out of the hotel at around noon. I asked if we could leave our luggage, and though they still made us take it out of the room, they kept it behind the desk for us until about 6 pm. If you ask for a reasonable favor, you will probably be able to work something out!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aenadal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ontario
Reviewed February 4, 2010

Very clean but basic room. Street noise is a problem until 11 or 12.
Very little english spoken here and no one available for checkout at 7:30 am.
Staff were friendly.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Asman69
London
Reviewed March 26, 2009

The Emilia Castilo is a tiny privately run hotel with its front door straight onto the cobbled street. The rooms are simply but clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. We did not eat in the hotel but breakfast is provided if you pre order. Each of the 14 rooms opens onto an internal courtyard which adds to the charm. This is by no means a luxury hotel and this is reflected in the price - 500 pesos a night for a double including tax. Bathrooms are old and bed linen is also old but both are clean. We stayed in room 12 which fronted the street and was very noisy until midnight, then quiet until about 8am. The inside rooms are quiet but very dark. We were allowed to choose whichever rooms we wanted so try to arrive early. Internet access is availbe for 10 pesos an hour. Only possible downside which applies to all hotels in Taxco is the town itself which is extremely hilly and some people may find this difficult. However, local taxis are plentiful and charge 10-20 pesos per trip. The hotel is well located close to the main square which is an ideal place to sit, eat and shop.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Mexico City
Reviewed January 30, 2009

I have not stayed at this hotel, but I wish I had. One of the reasons I chose another one (Loma Linda) is that I couldn't get a better idea of this place beforehand, through the photos submitted by fellow travelers. That's why, when we already were at Taxco, I just visited the place, talked to the manager and took some photos for you, fellow Tripadvisor reader.
I will certainly book for this hotel in my next visit to Taxco. They don't have a parking lot, but the hotel has an agreement with the nearby Plaza Taxco parking lot (60 pesos for 24 hours).
They also lack a pool, but their price seems very reasonable –550 pesos for two double beds. Besides, the hotel has Wireless Internet Access.

• Liked — Price/quality ratio
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank EmilioMex
Central Wisconsin
Reviewed January 1, 2009

First let me start by saying that this isn't a Holiday Inn nor should you expect it to be. This is Mexico...the real Mexico, not a beach front resort so throw away everything you know about those places and start fresh!

The location is wonderful. You're very close to the the center of town and also to shopping, restaurants, etc. The staff is friendly, the rooms are kept clean and the rooms are nice. Beware, the beds are not what we are accustomed to in the U.S. but not bad compared to some of the places I've been in Mexico. After reading other reviews I decided to book a courtyard room because my wife is a light sleeper. It wasn't much good as there was noise from people in the Lobby until past 1:00 a.m. - thankfully she was tired and slept fairly well. I don't think this is normal as we were there during the National Silver Festival and the town was busy and all the hotels were packed that weekend.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Emilia Castillo and would go back again. You can't beat the price! At the rate of exchange while we were down there the room cost less than $40 U.S. per night. Also, an FYI, the owner of the hotel is a very good jewelry designer and is very well respected in the community.

There is a small cafe right next to the hotel called The Cafe Sasha. I recommend eating your breakfast there. The prices are very reasonable (about $4-$5 gets you a very good breakfast) and the owners are very friendly. The photo I posted showing the street view in front of the hotel is from the balcony of the cafe (you go up the stairs to get to this restaurant...it's worth the climb!).

Very affordable, cozy and for the actual amount of time you will spend in your room this hotel is more than worth it. Bring your hiking shoes as everything in Taxco seems to be an uphill climb!!

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Noise from Street and Lobby (Most hotels near city center have same problem)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2008

My partner and I stayed at the Hotel Emilia Castillo. Overall, it was good. The hotel itself blended in with the rest of Colonial Taxco as far as appearance goes. The room itself was nice in that it had typical colonial furnishings. The one downfall to the entire hotel was not the fact that there is no A/C since you are high up in the mountains, but the noise from the street in front of the hotel was bothersome. It got to the point that I had to go down to the Front Desk and ask for a portable fan. The desk clerk was very nice and told me that the traffic would die down pretty soon. If I had to guess, I think it died down close to midnight if not just past midnight. Once the fan was in the room we were able to close the window and tune out the traffic from the infamous "beetle" taxis. If we did go back to this hotel, we would get an interior courtyard room.

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — Noise from cars could be heard in room.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GeminiTraveler
Mexico City
Reviewed August 31, 2008

I just spent two nights at the Hotel Emilia Castillo. Everything about this little hotel makes it an excellent choice. The staff were always friendly, the hotel is decorated beautifully, it was incredibly quiet at night even though it is centrally located in Taxco, there was plenty of hot water, the room was clean and the bed comfortable. Plus, I only paid 450 pesos per night for two people. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone. However, it was hot during our stay in Taxco and we thought it might be nice to stay somewhere with a pool. If you're not bothered about swimming, though, then go for the Emilia Castillo!

• Liked — location and value
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple