“Beautiful Historic Hotel Los Arcos”
Review of Hotel Los Arcos

Hotel Los Arcos
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Taxco
Reviewed February 6, 2009

I stepped into Hotel Los Arcos, and was instantly amazed with the beautiful architectural gem that would be my home for the next week! Hotel Los Arcos is not just a hotel, it is a piece of history! On all my travels, I always seek out historic places to stay, and this converted monastery dating back to 1620 certainly did not disappoint!

The public areas are intriguing. You just sense the history of this place right away. The public areas are filled with paintings, and beautiful Mexican Folk Art. The arches that run throughout the property are amazing, and transport you back to a time long ago. The grounds are lush with greenery, and fresh cut flowers. The furniture is true to the wonderful colonial Mexican style... heavy wooden pieces, white cushions, equipales, etc.

I was amazed at how well everything worked in this building, considering the age of the place. The plumbing was strong, and the water pressure was nice. The television was a relief after climbing up and down the steep hills around town. The large windows opened up to an amazing view of town, and allowed a wonderful breeze to flow into the room. As a resident of Los Angeles, there is nothing better than fresh air! I did not even turn on the fan that was in the room. I also made use of the computer in the lobby area, and was very happy with that extra luxury.

I have stayed in many five star hotels before, and while I do like the luxury on certain travels, you just have to go a bit more rustic when you are in such a historic and beautiful city as Taxco, Mexico. Although this hotel might not have the plush luxuries of other hotels, there is something definitely to be said for the simple pleasures of life. I really enjoyed this hotel, and the simple comforts it provided. If you only travel in 5 star accommodations, then this place might not be for you. But isn't one of the best and most valuable part of travel opening yourself up to new experiences, and new lifestyles? Go ahead immerse yourself in the culture, open yourself up to living a new experience, and enjoy a beautiful slice of history all at the same time!

The location is superb. It is extremely easy to navigate your way around town. All the main places in town are just a few steps from your doorway. And if you want to venture a bit further afield, the little Volkswagen Bug taxis are adorable, safe and really economical too. The hotel does not have an on site restaurant, but I personally never eat at hotels anyways. It is so much more fun to venture around town, and try out the local restaurants. Ask the staff at the front desk as I did, and I am sure they will recommend some great places around town. There are lots of restaurants within walking distance. And if like most, silver has brought you to town... well you are right in the heart of the district where the best silver shops are located. You will see them everywhere as you walk around, and it is lots of fun to just pop in and take a look. Also keep an eye out for the area below the church where many of the local Indians set up displays of their handicrafts. There are some fantastic coconut masks, and lacquerware from the city of Olinala to be found just steps from the hotel.

I also had wonderful experiences with the front desk staff. I had been traveling for weeks throughout Mexico, and made the age old mistake of bringing too much luggage - guess I will never learn! You would think that it was my first visit to the city! Well anyways, the front desk had my bags brought up the stairs to my room without any hesitation whatsoever! Every request that I made, was met by a smile and helpful answer. Maybe it helps speaking Spanish, I am not sure -- but I never had an unpleasant experience with any staff member during my entire stay. My room was cleaned daily and spotless. I even left my luggage overnight during a side trip, and never once had any issue. The staff was honest, polite and welcoming.

I for one had an outstanding experience at the historic Hotel Los Arcos. I hope you will too.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank scthom1967

Reviewed January 8, 2009

This is a beautiful old hotel set in an ancient monastery with a very welcoming atmosphere...the hotel is basic, but charming. The location is superb and although the facilities may be simple, they are spotless, comfortable and the patios are lovely. We have been staying here for the last 15 years (we come to mexico often!) and recommend the hotel to singles, couples or families who are after genuine mexican hospitality who dont require the cliched comforts of the holiday inns and sheratons.

although breakie is not included, there is free tea, coffee and fruit in the front living room...there are also lots of lovely little places nearby where you can get breakfast....much better than eating in your hotel as you get to see more of the town!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Here's my best attempt at a balanced review....

What was Good? 1. The location! The hotel is just a short walk up to the Zocalo (main square). In this very hilly town, this is important. 2. The price was low. Triples are 550 pesos/night (US$ 42); doubles are 475 pesos/night (US$37). 3. Room size. Our rooms were huge with 2 double beds in the double and two double beds and a twin in the triple. There was lots of space to spread out too. 4. View of town from hotel roof--spectacular. 5. Hot water. Yes, it takes about 5 minutes to get started, but once it's flowing....it's great. Don't take this for granted in Taxco. 6. Charming common areas.

What was Bad? 1. Lost reservation and issues over room rates. Upon arrival, the front desk couldn't find my reservation. On the phone they had quoted higher prices. They had given away the room with the king-size bed. Thus, I accepted the two double beds and thought that the price was lower for that reason....only to discover that the person who had quoted higher prices on the phone had not quoted the hotel's real prices, as reflected on their laminated price list at the reception desk. In other words, the person who took the reservation was simply planning to rip us off. 2. Some curtains, sheets and bedspreads with holes in them. Very old towels. Overall, the rooms looked good--neat, tidy. However, the hotel needs to invest in some new linens. Some are fine; others are more than shabby. 3. TV didn't work in one room. Light bulb was broken in its socket in another room. 4. No breakfast included in room rate; parking is also additional. Many hotels include either a continental or American breakfast in the room rate, as well as parking. That said, the lower price probably compensated for these differences.

What was Ugly? 1. Attitude of front desk staff regarding the lost room reservation and room rates, as well as their complete disinterest in writing down what needed to be repaired. 2. Cockroach next to bed. That said, it was dead. So, I guess they spray.

As seasoned travelers, Hotel Los Arcos was OK for one night and easy on the wallet. We read a lot of reviews and thought that this place was the answer. Many travelers report that the hotels in Taxco need improvement. Let's just say that I was surprised that Fodor's 2008 Mexico Guide Book named it as a Fodor's Choice. I'd say that I've paid less for better dumps in my day. If you want something better, then look elsewhere. Hopefully, if you pay more, you'll get more.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
11  Thank TravelBugVA
Reviewed January 3, 2009

Hotel Los Arcos, is like a little retreat for me, within the magical town of Taxco and has a warmth you don't find in regular hotels. Wonderful for tourists or people on business. The staff are polite and gracious, and the locale is just a few minutes' walk from the center of town so you can frequent many good restaurants I have stayed many times and always enjoy returning!!
It is simple but elegant and most reasonable, price wise.

Sat-Kartar Khalsa

Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Chantress602
Reviewed January 3, 2009

I have stayed at Hotel Los Arcos 2x a year for the past 6 years! And I am well acquainted with the other choices in town. This hotel oozes local charm and history. It is conveniently located close to the center of town and every attraction. The staff is warm and accommodating.

The property has a lovely lobby and meeting area as you walk in. From the rooftop, you can see the whole city. Its a view not to be missed. I loved this hotel 6 years ago, and in the meantime there has been continuous upgrades. It just gets better and better.

If you are looking for a sterile chain hotel experience, perhaps this is not for you. But if you want a beautiful memory of Taxco, this is the place.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2008

My boyfriend and I found this super cute hotel while we were walking around Taxco. We fall in love with it. It was a shame that we needed to leave that same day to Acapulco. It is so unique and charming!. After Acapulco we needed to drive back to Mexico City to take our plane back home, so we decided to stop one night at Los Arcos and then continue our journey. The people there were so nice and we stayed at a very pretty room in the first floor. No problems at all. I'm planning to go back to such a pretty town and of course to Los Acrcos. Zari

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chaparat
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I have been going to Taxco for the last 25 years and unfortunately everyone seems to have given up on maintaining their hotels. Los Arcos is in an ideal location, but they have let the place run down. The sheets were tattered, with stains, and felt like sandpaper. The beds are so old and hard that both my husband and I woke up in pain. We had two rooms and in both rooms they have removed the lightbulbs from the closets and over the sink in the bathroom. The towels smelled rank.. The good news is that it is much more quiet then Los Castillo, which is across the street. Taxco has changed quite a bit over the years with an increase in traffic and a lot of construction. Also many of the traditional quality silver shops have been replaced with "tianguis", which sell low end silver products. Andres Mejias shop, which is next to the hospital, is one of the lfew remaining shops to sell quality silver jewelry from the original Taxco artisans.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends