“Overpriced and too far from the action,”
Review of Hotel Montetaxco

Hotel Montetaxco
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Taxco
Brisbane, Australia
“Overpriced and too far from the action,”
Reviewed May 2, 2006

This hotel was recommended by the concierge at our Mexico City Hotel who organised an overnight trip to Taxco for us. We were told it was 5 star - it most definitely isn't - and we were charged five star prices. Silly us!

As other reviewers have noted, it's way out of town and although the views are spectacular, you could find almost as good views at a hotel in the town, as it's a very hilly area. So once you're there, it's hard to get about. The rooms were VERY ordinary. Ours didn't lock properly and this was made more unnerving by the warning signs of theft, plastered all over the room. We asked for a change of rooms which we were eventually given, but it didn't lock properly either! The room had an ancient airconditioner which rattled all night long.

The food in the restaurant was the worst we had in Mexico. The staff spoke barely any English, which usually I wouldn't mind - except that we were paying a very high rate. I could have tolerated the hotel's inadequacies if we'd been charged backpacker rates (rather than like wounded bulls...), which was all it warranted. I wouldn't recommend anyone stay at this hotel unless you get an exceptionally cheap rate.

• Stayed October 2004
4 Thank emstar3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
California
Reviewed April 24, 2006

This hotel claims to be "the best", a resort... i don't think so. The rooms are ordinary, I wasn't expecting too much. The bathrooms are very old and grungy, the towels that were provided were paper thin. (And then there is a sign saying that if you take the towels they will charge the cleaning lady) We ate at the restaurant twice for dinner, the hotel is soo far away from town that once you come in you stay, the food was edible, but the prices outrageous.
The worst part of the trip... my husband took my kids to the pool. As soon is he jumped in, he (and the kids) were out and in the shower.

I don't expect a 5 star resort in a small town like taxco... but for the money (compared to other small hotels in town) I do expect a clean and comfortable room.

Next time I will stay in town.

• Stayed April 2006
12 Thank raaam
USA
Reviewed March 27, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Montetaxco as part of a tour of Central Mexico. The hotel room was very ordinary but the view of the city was spectacular. I found it annoying that there were little signs around the room warning guests not to steal this that and the other thing. I wanted to feel like an honored guest not a potential thief. The buffet meals at the restaurant on the premises were not terribly good. Maybe it is better to order off the menu. The patio off the restaurant is pretty with nice views of the town below. I probably would not stay here again if I could find better accomodations elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank Linda1
Corona, CA
Reviewed February 20, 2005

If you drive to Taxco like we did, do NOT stay anywhere else! You will not be able to navigate the narrow streets other than the main road to get to any other hotels with secure parking without getting lost or your car getting stuck in the alley-like streets. The MonteTaxco is the only choice as it is just outside of town. It is a STEEP climb to the top, but not a problem for most cars. (The VW Bug taxis make this climb every day with no problems.) The hotel is not cheap as it is a resort, but it is just as expensive as a normal, comfortable US hotel with nice amenities. The special we got was a room for about $90, but you had to buy the breakfast from their restaurant for two for another $30. The breakfast was not worth it. The food was OK, but not worth $30. Waiter was not attentive and made a few mistakes. We had to pay extra for a few things for our kids to eat. Nickle and diming us kinda sucked, but whatever. We didn't have reservations, so we didn't have a choice but to get the 'Special' or pay $120 without the breakfast. We didn't realize the magnitude of navigating downtown until we got there, so now we know. Keep reading though...

The good stuff, well the cable car ride was really beautiful. The kids loved it and I got some great shots of the town. The nights stay included two free cable car rides and two free drinks as well, so the breakfast issue really wasn't such a big deal. The pool looked great but we didn't have time to enjoy it. The view from the room was breathtaking, although the rooms were not. They need an overhaul. They were clean, just old. The beds were hard, but that's typical in Mexico. Mexican resorts, I don't know, but anyway...the bathroom was big with good water pressure. The toilet did get backed up once but the staff promptly fixed it. The staff overall was very friendly.

A taxi to the center of town was only 35 pesos (3 bucks) and the front desk will call one up for you. ALL the free roaming taxis are VW Bugs so if you are in a group larger than 3, get more than one taxi as the front passenger seats are taken out to give more space in back. When you get to town, you'll see VW buses, but they only operate on a mandated circuit. When you get to the center of town, see the church and eat at the cafe at the Hotel Agua Escondida. They will hail you a taxi to get back to MonteTaxco when you are done eating. The food is good and getting a taxi yourself is a chore when 'El Centro' is busy.

One more thing, the silver downtown is a bit more expensive than at the 'Tiangis' or 'Swap Meet'. You can still barter a good deal, just not as good as the swap meet. The MonteTaxco has a nice little jewelry shop on-site next to their store. The prices are a little more than downtown, but if you ask, they will give you a 20% discount off all you buy. They have some nice pairs of small earrings that my wife bought a bunch of for 25 pesos ($2.25) a pair. I bought a ring with 15 small stones for 160 pesos ($15.00). The hotel is like a little village with a few stores and eateries just outside the hotel. It is an interesting place to stay. They even have a golf course! That doesn't seem like a big deal until you go there and see how little of the area is flat!

Overall, if you drive to Taxco, stay here as it will be easier to enjoy your stay and not worry about driving in town and the safety of your car. If you take the bus with a tour or alone, stay at the Agua Escondida or better yet, the Posada de San Javier if you can. Both closer to town and I've heard they are very nice places to stay.

10 Thank paincorp
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 22, 2003

The rooms are decent but the hotel is away from the town. You have to pay for taxi or cable car in order to get into down everyday.CAUTION - When we first arrived, the hotel told us the rate was $40. We were pleasantly surprised. However, the hotel insisted that we gave them a copy of our credit card and signed a sales slip for room rate of $135. At first, I refused to sign it because the amount was incorrect but they assured me that the sales slip will be returned to me at the end of the stay. They were just doing this in case anyone leaves without paying. When I checked out, I signed a bill for $80 which was the correct amoung and they returned the original copy to me. What I did not know was that they secretly kept an extra copy of the sales slip and filed it against my credit card. Since it had my signature on it, I couldn't dispute the charge. I felt very stupid about the whole thing but wanted to alert all of you about the bad behavior of the hotel. Please do not fall into their trap.

16 Thank Nancy8862
Trenton NJ
Reviewed March 19, 2003

I have never stayed in the hotel, but I have gone to the restaurant and club there. Its beautiful, the food is suburb, the champagne soup is incredible, and the steaks were fabulous....the view is unparalled, and the service is top shelf. They had a buffet of mexican food,and a show that was unique in another room. There is a nightclub that is really decked out.....worth a visit even if you dont stay there.

5 Thank azultopazz
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 24, 2002

I would like to recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Taxco. This hotel is situated along the hills that border the town. You can look out you balcony and look down upon the gorgeous layout of the town wether it be morning or night.. The hotel itself is very clean and well maintained. The menu is very good, but the cost is a bit pricy. The two dissadvantages that I see w/ this hotel is that you either have to take a taxi ride along the steep incline of the hillside roads leading up to the hotel or a elevated cable car ride that leads you from the foot of the hill to the road adjacent to the hotel.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member