“clean, noisy,poor breakfast,”
Review of Le Gite del Sol

Le Gite del Sol
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We travelled for 24 days through Chiapas and Guatemala and this was by far the worst stay on our trip.I do not get the picture why some people rave about this location. We stayed in room #6 where you can hear every single car pass by through night long. The lady seemed nice but is more interested to sell tours.The trip to the canyon was perfect, the trip to Panajachel( companyTierra Maya) was a complete nightmare costed 350 pesos per person and took nearly 4 hours to long (arrived in Pana. at 8.45pm instead of 5pm) When we asked her if it was a direct trip and if we needed to take food along she said that the trip doesn't make any stops so we had to take food! Strangely enough we stoped after 80min for a hour brake at a restaurant where the driver had breakfast, the trip was not direct and we had to wait more than 2 hours at the border for another bus to arrive. The fasted we went was 35 km per hour since the bus only had 3 gears. I have mailed the hotel just to let them now about our trip they had organised but the haven't been "able" to reply over the last 2 weeks!
Maybe they are to busy selling more trips, closing the front door within the first minute youy leave it open(prison-feeling), or chatting with all the french customers who seems to be their favourites. Look the place is clean and cheap, the lady seems nice but she is not, she has to do all the work while her husband chats with the french customers, her mother is like a doorkeeper closing the door every minute of the day, for some reason is it difficult to get an extra coffee in the morning and it is way to far to the centre especially in the rain season.
A possitive note I was glad to see that Tierra Madre still hasn't changed in 24 years and the food/bread/location is absolutely brillant!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank vdds

Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed in the building over the street in a double room. The rooms could do with a little decoration and a fourth blanket would be handy when a couple, but thats nit picking really given the price. Bathrooms, showers always tidy and staff seemed to be constantly cleaning. I never used the kitchen so cant comment though looked ok and the computer for internet use was much appreciated.

Location is perfect and the breakfast, whilst spartan, was more than I expected given the price.

As the title reads !!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davie_p78
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My mom and I stayed here during the high season and paid $320 total for a double. Our room had one queen-sized bed, a bunk bed, skylights that lit the room fairly well, and a bathroom-shower within the room. There wasn't really any outside ventilation so any smells/humidity from the bathroom stayed in the room, which was the only thing I didn't like. The beds were comfortable and came with extra blankets, and the hotel was quiet (though you could hear street noises). Breakfast was included in the price of the room and was great value; you could order eggs with toast, a fruit salad, or just toast, and all of the choices came with coffee or tea. Another major advantage is that the hotel owners can book bus tickets and tours, so we were able to do a lot of our planning right there. There is also a computer with free internet. The owners, Adriana and Denis, were very friendly and accomodating, despite that we asked about bus schedules about 10 different times. They also held our luggage for us after we checked out. Finally, the location of the hotel is very convenient; it's about 5-10 minutes from the Zócalo and only two minutes from one of the major pedestrian thoroughfares. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I stayed in a private room that only cost me 180 MXN that had a bathroom and a shower wifi internet and plugs.. this is great considering that I paid the same price to stay in a shared dorm in a different hostel across town. The breakfast is extensive and great AND they serve it to you! Staff was nice enough I suppose... anyway.. its a nice play to stay if you are looking for a private room.. I warn that walls aren't insulated and you can hear people slamming their doors (not on purpose but thats just the noise it makes when you open the door) However, I will admit.. I fell asleep with tissue stuffed in my ear and didn't wake up until I heard my alarm going off I was dead tired even though im a light sleeper so I was refreshed both days when I woke up..

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2011

10 reasons to stay at Le Gite del Sol

1. Great value
2. Good location away from noise but close enough walk to everything
3. Delightfully helpful and friendly multi-lingual owners, Dennis (Denny) and Adriene
4. Courtyard to enjoy inclusive breakfast
5. Clean rooms with light airy feel
6. Hot water showers at anytime
7. Free computer and wi-fi
8. Comfortable beds, clean linen and nice smelling towels
9. Not too many stairs to drag bags up
10. You are made to feel welcome, special and you will not want to leave.

I could go on to mention the tour bookings services, the instant bus tickets, the great food served and the smiles wherever you turn but you must find out about these things and more for yourself.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Not2shabbynot2shabby
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I stayed here for 5 nights with my girlfriend, and had really nothing to complain about. We rented a room with a private bathroom which was excellent for us. You get breakfast every morning plus you can book tours with them (which they are really affordable), and also buy bus tickets from the major bus company. Overall it is a great place, reasonable prices, and the main staff speaks English, Spanish and french

Room Tip: Keep in mind that breakfast is served early
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2011

My boyfriend and I spent 3 nights at Le Gite del Sol. The owners were very welcoming, friendly and helpful... especially seeing as we arrived much later than we hoped and then didn't have any Mexican money for the room until the next day! The highlight of the place is breakfast which is definitely one of the better ones I've had included in room price and has 4 options to choose form a menu.

We stayed one night in an ensuite room in the main building which was nicely decorated and with a comfortable bed but the 'ensuite' was a plastic cubicle built into the room so not very private! The price difference between an ensuite and a double room with shared bathroom was considerable so we switched to a double room in the building over the road which was more sparsely furnished and a little louder due to the traffic but the shared bathroom was fine and we thought it much better value for money.

This place is budget and other than breakfast has very few frills but the owners are very friendly and helpful so as long as your not looking for luxury it's a great choice Oh and you have wifi in beth buildings.. a definite plus!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple