“If you do not need 5 star...this is still the best deal in town!”

Hotel La Media Luna
Vancouver, BC
“If you do not need 5 star...this is still the best deal in town!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have been coming to Luna Media for four years now and I can honestly say it is still the best deal in San Cristobal de Las Casas.....
I am writing because I have read some reviews that were not great and I just want to say check around!!!!! For the price this place has great location, security, and is as quiet as it gets!!!! I have always found the staff helpful and I love that on check out day they let me leave my bags in a safe room until when ever I leave.
I love sitting in the sunny courtyard relaxing and appreciate that this is NOT a party hotel.
The 10 minute walk to the bus is easy and the 10 minute walk to downtown too!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank danna l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We are two couples who rented the two bedroom apartment at the Posada for two weeks. It's very roomy and the kitchen is quite well equipped. We like to rent apartments so we have a comfortable place to hang out.

Unfortunately it was very cold in San Cristobal while we were there, January, 2013, so the apartment wasn't comfortable because of the cold.

Otherwise I think it's great for the price and you can get a reasonable breakfast if you don't want to cook. Everyone who works here is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JoniG
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Eccellente struttura, sfaff cordiale e disponibile. Ottima posizione e servizi. Ideale per pianificare una visita in Chiapas! (si parla anche Italiano grazie a Roberto e Francesca!)

Excellent place. Friendly staff. Lots of activity to be planned, central position: excellent! Enjoy Chiapas! (Staff at your service in Spanish, English, Italian language... as you prefer!)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Terrific value here. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the location couldn't be better! While the rooms are basic, they had everything I needed. I'll be back as every part of my stay was what I was looking for.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 2012Dee_W
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Hotel Posada La Media Luna is on a quiet street a few blocks from the zocalo. It is quiet for in town. Large room had small TV, wi-fi with good speed but it went in and out, hot water, towels, soap, shampoo. No chair, fan or air conditioning but room was cool without them. Got cold at night but many heavy blankets available. Free parking on the street in front. Locks up at 11 PM and not open again until 7 AM but they give you a key to the front gate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed in the apartment with our 7 year old for one week in Oct 2012. It was a clean and simple apartment with everything we needed. The common areas were nice. We arranged the tour to Cañón del Sumidero through the hotel. The tour was fine, the bus picked us up on time and was more of less what we expected. It the same tour as many travel agents sell in town. The staff was responsive when we complained about the broken toilet seat - they fixed it right away. Maybe because it was the owner we spoke to, but I wouldn't agree with the complaints of others about staff being unhelpful.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the apartment. If you are staying for a longer period (a week or more), ask for a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I agree with the last 2 postings. While this hotel is well located and reasonable value, the service is poor and you can't rely on their travel services. I'd emailed them in advance to say I was arriving on the night bus and would like to go on the canyon trip they offered that same morning. I was assured that would be OK and I could check into my room early. What they didn't tell me was that the hotel is completely locked up at night, with no staff present till 7am (actually it was 7.20 when they turned up). This left us standing outside in the street for 40 mins - just what you need after a 12 hour bus journey! The staff just laughed when we pointed this out. Then they said that the canyon trip wasn't running that day and we would just have to go and walk round the town to find an alternative agent. In a town that thrives on tourist, this level of service really isn't acceptable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonSoandSo
la_media_luna, Owner at Hotel La Media Luna, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Hi,
I'm sorry for your inconvenience, but I just checked all the e-mails we exchanged and things were not at all as stated above. First of all I just want to point out that we promptly replayed to all your e-mails, giving you all the information you requested. Moreover, we clearly wrote you that the reception only opens at 7.00 am, so you can't tell you weren't informed. Moreover, we told you you could check-in early only if your room was not occupied for the night before. We managed to keep it available, and you actually occupied it on your arrival. Secondly, when you asked us for the tour, we wrote you that there would be no problem to reserve it on advance for you, and that's true. We just pointed out that in case your arrival would be delayed, as it sometimes occurs, you wouldn't be able to join the tour at its departure time; the agency we work with (as all other travel agencies here) does not accept cancellation on the same day and you would be obliged to pay the cost of the tour even if you didn't join it. We could have omitted this, but I think it's just fair to let all our guests know on advance that this danger exists. Anyway, we never assured you that we would be able to reserve the tour on the same day; on the contrary, we told you that, in case this would not be possible, you could easily go to the cañon on your own and we kept willing to give you all the needed information. As a replay, you just wrote us that you decided not to reserve the tour on advance and just see if you could do it on your arrival (if it would be possible), so we understood you were fully aware of the possibility this could not be done. We promptly called the travel agency on your arrival, but unfortunately, being in the low season, there were no other people going to the cañon that same day, it was too late for them to join a tour by another agency (as this is done the night before) and they simply could not afford a tour for just 2 persons. I'm really sorry for this, but we really couldn't do anything more to help you: we wrote you that we couldn't assure you to be able to reserve the tour on the same day. Just a final remark: you spent 2 days at the hotel without complaining, and at the end you just left without paying for your room, so that we were obliged to charge the card you used for reserving on expedia.