“I loved this place!”

Bela's B&B
Vancouver, Canada
“I loved this place!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed at Bela's for a week during my 2 weeks in San Cristobal this summer. It is a perfect location on a safe quiet street near Santo Domingo and close to the walking street, market and restaurants. My accommodation had absolutely everything to make my stay comfortable. . . towel heater, electric blanket, ample hooks and storage and lights and plenty of hot water. Oh, and the most comfy bed with a big comforter. The gardens are beautiful and the kitchen and breakfast room beautiful complete with a little fire in the fireplace on chilly mornings - there are plenty of books to share and read. Bela and the family who works at the bed and breakfast were so friendly and welcoming as were the other guests. I always knew I would have a comfy, safe and peaceful place to return to after a busy day. I stayed at two other accommodations in the San Cristobal and Bela's was the most comfortable. I had wished I had booked my entire stay there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank gatopaja

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Fresno, California
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The suite we stayed in was cozy, very clean, and comfortable. ♥We had a restful night after a long day of traveling. Bela, our hostess was wonderful and very helpful. She arranged for our transportation from airport with a safe, good and pleasant driver and she helped with directions, weather info., etc. The family that works for her is great. Our breakfast was wonderfully ready early, coffee was deliciously local and strong as like it and the view of the garden is amazing. We were lucky to stay in such a great location. All local attractions are within walking distance: 1 block from Santo Domingo Baroque church, & crafts market, buy your Amber with local artisans in the market, rub it & smell it for aunthenticity. Take a day trip to San Juan Chamula with Don Miguel in front of cathedral, Bela recommended Don Miguel who is very knowledgeable of local customs and practices.
If you want to get an authentic San Cristobal experience, a restful night, away from the nightclubs nightly noise, Bela's B&B is the place to stay. If we comeback to San Cristobal, we'll stay at Bela's B&B.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
australia
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Wow what an introduction to San Cristobal! Bela's is just gorgeous and the room i stayed in was cosy, warm and beautifully decorated. Bela went out of her way to accommodate me, even timing hot coffee and gorgeous snacks for my 5am day trip to Palenque. I had one of the best sleeps i've had in my 6 months in Mexico and the breakfasts were absolutely delicious. The accommodation is clean, tasteful, wonderfully located and i can't wait to return soon. Three nights wasn't long enough! Thank you for such warm and wonderful hospitality :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, Nayarit, Mexico
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stop...look no further, this is the place to stay! I had the pleasure to stay here for a week and was treated like one of the family. Bela is an impressive hostess and the family that works for her is amazing. The location is right in the heart of San Cristobal...one block from the Santa Domingo market. The garden is super unique with hundreds of different plants and flowers. I awoke to a fabulous breakfast each morning and drank coffee while I planned out my day. Bela made sure to line me out on whatever I wanted to do. This small boutique B&B sets the ambiance for a one-of-a-kind experience in San Cristobal. I am counting down the days til I am back walking the streets of such an incredible city and resting my head in the best spot in Chiapas! Thanks Bela, Manuela, & all the family for making my trip so memorable!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Colleen M
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This really is a pristine, tranquil, and convenient place to stay in San Cristobal de las Casas. It is very conveniently located to the shops and cafes of el Centro and el Zocalo (main plaza), as well as the open air "indigenous crafts" market--that's just across the street. The gardens at Bela's are a delight--regularly frequented by local hummingbirds (picaflores?). The rooms are immaculate and very tastefully done--the beds, blankets, and pillows all top-quality, making for a very peaceful slumber. The breakfast rivals any I've had for taste and healthfulness--all you can eat fruit, eggs, pancakes, yogurt, fresh-squeezed juices, toast and a variety of jams and jellies, excellent coffee (and tea), and more. Bela is a joy and a wealth of knowledge of San Cristobal and surrounding areas, and her help, well, they seem to be more like her extended family, are all super kind and attentive. Lastly, the massage I got there (from Teresa, who also prepares the delicious breakfast) rivals any I've had anywhere--I think it was only about 450 pesos ($34US?). Get one, you won't regret it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank svMardeluz
Chelem, Mexico
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Bela's has to be about the nicest B&B in the world, the only problem is that you wont want to leave. The beautiful garden lovely rooms & friendly atmosphere are so seductive that one feels immediately at home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Despite our spontaneous (I only called one day ahead of time and was lucky that there was a room available) and early arrival at 6 AM we could already enter our room and we were welcomed by Bela and her four small and cute dogs.

The ambience is nice, there are many colourful flowers in the patio.

The B&B is located just 5 minutes from the city center, a travel agency is nearby (in case you want to plan some trips) and almost next to the B&B is a market that is open until late, 7 days a week - good to get mexican souvenirs. The location is simply perfect for a stay in San Cristobal de las Casas.

Our room was clean, comfortable and beautifully decorated. We used the service of getting our clothes cleaned and dried, which was very convenient.

The breakfast was tasty and it was a nice atmosphere chatting with the other tourists. On the day that we left, we could leave our luggage on the site past the check out time, which was very nice - it enabled us to finish a day trip and then to travel on!

Throughout our stay, Bela was always happy to help us with ideas and advice. It was extremely helpful that she had a map prepared for us with important spots in the city, such as banks, sights and also restaurants that she recommended (that had also good ratings at tripadvisor). That was fantastic guidance! Also the idea to visit Chamala and Zinacantán was great advice.

Thank you for letting us stay at your B&B so spontaneously, we had a great time. I miss my favorite of your dogs, Coco-Beans :-)

Room Tip: Try to get the room on the very top. From the balcony you are overlooking the beautiful garden of Be...