Puerta Vieja Hostel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Ganesha Posada(San Cristobal de las Casas)
View Hotel
La Catedral(San Cristobal de las Casas)
  • Pool
Hotel Hacienda Los Morales(San Cristobal de las Casas)
View Hotel
Plaza Gallery Hotel Boutique(San Cristobal de las Casas)
  • Breakfast included
Mansion del Valle(San Cristobal de las Casas)
View Hotel
Las Escaleras by Inmense(San Cristobal de las Casas)
View Hotel
Hotel Posada El Paraiso(San Cristobal de las Casas)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Jardines del Centro(San Cristobal de las Casas)
View Hotel
Hotel Mision Colonial(San Cristobal de las Casas)
View Hotel
Nuestras Raices(San Cristobal de las Casas)
View Hotel
All reviewsfree mojitosawesome barfire pitpizza nightcheap drinkssocial lifeyummy breakfastbeautiful gardengreat atmosphereprivate roomowners and staffevery morningclean roomscleaned dailytortillasother travelersfelt like home
Reviewed June 2, 2015 via mobile

For starters I volunteered here. I've been sweeping my way from Mexico down to Costa Rica, and having made it here I can affirm without hesitation, this place is a backpackers haven for escape and socializing all in one. Spacious with unspeakably sweet staff. I'd mention the food, but hear me now there aren't even words to decorate the chow with its deserved merits. Just loved this place and stayed for 21 days. Upon reflection, I only wished I'd have become a full time employee. Also, free cocktail nights twice a wk

Stayed: June 2015, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2015 via mobile

This was a very nice surprise after going to a few dodgy places. Daniel and the owners are amazing. Really friendly, good English and helpful in every possible way. The breakfast is unbelievable, a lot more than hostel quality! They even have a chef that cooks the most delicious dinners. The place is beautiful, spacious and the bathrooms are really nice and clean. Even the wifi is great (better than in any of the cafes and restaurants around). This is a place to linger and get stuck because the hostel and city are both so nice. You miss out if you don't go here.

Stayed: June 2015
Reviewed May 30, 2015 via mobile

Excellent location, friendly and helpful staff, good rooms and bathroom (we stayed in a private room with private bathroom). The common areas are among the best I have seen in hostels: good kitchen, great bar and patio and even a garden with hamacas! The room could have been a little bit more furnished (no hangers or closets), but this does not take the five stars away. There is free breakfast - really good - and if you want at night they offer a cheap dinner and entertainment in the bar (free cocktail night on Fridays!!!). Highly recommendable.

Stayed: May 2015
Reviewed May 20, 2015

First off, if I were to pick a city in Mexico to live, it would definitely be this one. It's a great atmosphere with a lot of influence from nationalities around the world. There are restaurants with Italian cuisine, Argentinian, Thai, Spanish, and more. Also the climate is awesome, nice warm weather during the day and it cools down at night time (I was here in May).

All of the stellar reviews of Puerta Vieja are by no means embellished. At first I had planned to stay here for 3 nights, and wound up staying 5. Then when I finally left for Palenque on my motorcycle, I took a turn too fast and slid off the road. I was lucky to have only suffered a torn muscle in my knee. The doctor said would require around 10 days to heal and I was actually excited to go back to San Cristobal de las Casas and stay at Puerta Vieja for those 10 days. It was rumored that I purposely crashed my bike as an excuse to go back, but that has never been confirmed.

A few highlights about the hostel... the chef is awesome. He takes great care in his job and all of it is reflected in his food. Make sure not to miss the roasts. Not to mention that I'm difficult to deal with when it comes to food. I don't eat gluten, rice and some other stuff, and he always whipped me up something equally as good if not better than the main dish. Also free breakfast in the morning, usually a sweet option like pancakes/crepes/etc and another option like omelettes/etc. Very good.

The mattresses at this hostel are better than any mattress you've slept on while traveling, and they might be better than your mattress at home. It looked like a posturepedic or something... I dunno.. you'll sleep very well in the nice cool climate on these.

The bar has specials most nights out of the week, some of which include free drinks. Not just crappy drinks, but delicious mojitos with fresh ingredients, cocktails, etc. The atmosphere is very conducive to making friends and being social. If you like to meet new people (young, old, whoever), this is a great place to do it.

The location is very convenient, just a couple blocks away from Calle Guadalupe, which has most of the great restaurants on it. (There's also a spot across the street that sells tamales for like 12 pesos each if you're looking for a cheap option)

I'm probably missing some stuff but to finish it off, the owners and staff are all extremely friendly and helpful. They're looking out for you and will go out of their way to help if needed. They hooked me up with a chiropractor to re-align my hip that got all out of whack from the motorcycle crash.

10/10, I hope to find myself back here one day in the future.

• Stayed: May 2015, traveled solo
Reviewed May 15, 2015 via mobile

Comfortable beds, lots of other people but quiet time after 11pm is good for the nights you want sleep. The chef here is amazing, some of the best meals I have had so far. Sunday night roast was a winner. Good bar, however you can still bring in your own drinks.
Breakfast here is awesome too - a cooked savory or sweet option which differs everyday.
Booked two nights and ended up staying six.

Stayed: May 2015, traveled solo