“Average when compared with others in San Cristobal”

Rossco Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at Rosscos for a couple of weeks over xmas 2012. Overall I enjoyed my stay but sadly one member of staff ruined it for us (see below)
Pros: comfy beds with good warm sheets. Most staff are great. Fire & terrace are good for meeting people.
Cons: inadequate toilet/shower facilities- 3 for all dorms (34 people), no hooks, mirrors or fans in most, queues in morning. No plugs in any of the dorms for phone/camera charging. Price is high (more than double) compared to other hostels nearby.
One night we came back around 11pm and rekindled the smoldering fire. The night porter came over with shouting at us and poured a bucket of water on it. It seemed we were having too much fun. Another guy got slapped in the face by the same porter for been too loud. He didn't seem to mind people talking outside the dorms at 3am but a small fire was unacceptable.
I feel this hostel are taking advantage of their place close to the top of the hostel sites list. There are hostels on Guadeloupe St charging 70 pesos for a dorm bed while here they charge 165+ pesos.
Perhaps if they stopped assaulting their guests, overcharging and provide adequate facilities they might maintain their position on the hostel sites but at the current rate they won't.
When compared to other hostels, this place is average.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank quinnray

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed here over New Year and enjoyed the grounds and a laid back, friendly atmosphere. The tours were excellent and slightly cheaper than anywhere else we priced. Our room was a private triple, dark with no windows and cold at night, extremely basic and over priced. The bathroom was horrible, with rusty taps and a ripped mat on the floor. Breakfast was self service kitchen, breads, cereal and wash your own dishes. Too basic for us and over priced which we found with all our bookings in Mexico. Best to arrive and look around as it seems the best places are not on Trip Advisor, Lonely Planet nor Booking.com and there are plenty around.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This beautiful and lively hostel is located close to the center of San Cristóbal de las Casas. Me and my wife spent 3 nights in a private enclosure for New Year's Eve 2013. Our room was a bit dark, but big and clean. It didn't have heating (which is a pretty common problem in San Cristóbal, where nights can be quite chilly even during summer), but additional blankets were available free of charge. The bed was very comfortable.

The receptionists were helpful and upon our arrival let us leave our baggages in our room even if it wasn't ready yet. Internet didn't work in our room, but there was free WiFi in the common areas. Therefore, this was only a small annoyance. Drinkable water was available for a (cheap) price. The included breakfast was nothing special. Many other extras were available, such as kitchen, pool table, and even a campfire place in the big garden.

The hostel also offered many organized tours and transfers for a good price, compared to the ones applied by the main tour operators in town. Specifically, if you're are planning to transfer to Palenque via Agua Azul and Misol-Ha, I'd recommend buying the tour at the hostel: this way, you're gonna get exactly the same service for a slightly cheaper price.

Taking into account the price (which was absolutely affordable and in line with other accommodations in the same category), I'd recommend this hostel for a pleasant stay in Chiapas, especially if you're in the mood for partying around a campfire.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I am not even necessarily sure what it was about this hostel that I loved, but it seems to draw a really rad group of people and I met and chatted with some incredible people, many of whom I've stayed in touch with.

Warm beds, clean, good location, nice breakfasts, great little yard for socializing, super helpful and friendly staff, and free salsa lessons. Simple, but they do everything well.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Great hostel! Very lively social atmosphere. Free breakfast (toast, bananas, yogurt, corn flakes, coffee, tea, jam, butter). Free wifi. Free hot water 24/hours (not always a standard – my last posada shut off the water COMPLETELY at night!). My only gripe was there wasn’t a real warm place to chill – the doors tended to be open to kitchen, living room, so you got a little cold. Internet didn’t work from inside anywhere though so you had to be in one of the open areas.
Friendly staff, lots of info., lots of access to tours. They do your laundry (18 pesos a kilo). They have lockers to store your stuff after you check out.
I had a private room which was just lovely – very comfortable, pretty, nice. I was sick with food poisoning (oh, Mexico…) so it was a great place to recover. Highly recommended.
I LOVE THE BONFIRE!!!!

Room Tip: Get a private room on the second floor - the skylights are great!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Well we stayed here for four nights in the 14 bed dorm and it was so good.. It was hard to leave! San Cristobal is a cold place at night but these beds are so comfortable and warm you couldn't ask for more. The staff are really helpful and friendly. The lounge and cinema room are great to chill out in but my bf and I love sitting around the fire pit toasting marshmallows. Enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 18, 2012

This hostel's main edge is the bonfire at night-I really enjoyed it and hanging with everyone around it. As cold as it was, it was a great thing to have. They need some more bathroom facilities, but I think they're working on that right now, as there was construction while I was there. The mixed dorm I stayed in has one shower/toilet, the other doesn't, and the girl's dorm doesn't. I got a deal for booking through hostel world, paying 90 or 100 pesos instead of 120 or whatever they charge, so check that out. They also run 3 nights get 1 free type deals. The breakfast isn't that great, but fine if you're looking to not spend a lot. The grounds are very pretty with lots of plants and grassy area to hang out in the sun. They also have a TV room with hammocks and beanbags. The location is good, very close to Zocalo. If you take a right out, then another right at the busy street where you're looking at a church, there's a great comedor with cheap, awesome food. That church area also has a good market. The big market is like a 10 minute walk.

I did their tour to the Sumidero Canyon and I loved it. The tour is cheaper than doing it on your own! They do have signs posted everywhere about not doing drugs so it's a bit annoying, but I think that's a San Cristobal thing. They won't get on you for having fun and drinking around the campfire though. With the location, decent price, and bonfire, I'd stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: I would stay in the mixed dorm with a bathroom so you're not having to go outside and cross the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo