“Eat here”
Review of El Argentino

El Argentino
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Eat here”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

San Cristobal de las Casas isn't the most centrally-located town in Mexico. In fact, finding fresh produce here can be a bit of a challenge. But El Argentino - somehow - manages to fetch the freshest, imported steak everyday. Coupled with exceptional service and a great location on the pedestrianised strip (just three blocks from the zocalo), this restaurant really excels.

• Visited November 2012

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Italy
“a scam, unfortunately...”
Reviewed December 25, 2012

the original location has been destroyed by fire, as far understood, so they move around the cornet in a new setting that at present looks very bad. The restaurant is plenty of smoke so that I just wanted to finish my dinner as soon as possible.
The owner shown me a tray with several pieces of meat and I explicitely asked which one was the one that on the menu was cheaper than 200mxn. The meat I got was good, nothing to complain, but unfortunately it turned out as being the most expensive on the menu, i guess...
A steak and a small water (i.e. No wine at all) costed me 657MXN, that certainly is mora than the double I was willing to spend for what I ordered.
I was clearly disappointed even if a dinner will not change my life and I paid. The owner certainly understood that I was not happy, however San Cristobal is plenty of tourists spending there a few nights and that will never come back, so, you know...
I felt scammed so the dinner was something that I just want forget.
I think that 600MXN for a steak requires also a very good setting and the new one certainly is not, at present. I never went in the old one, but 8 saw it completely burned...
The bottom line is BEWARE OF WHAT U ORDER...
Of course I cannot recommend it to anyone. sorry.

1 Thank maurocastagn
Panajachel, Guatemala
“Best Steak for 1000 miles”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This is a wonderful value and most delicious steak south of the boarder and in Central America..

Wonderful friendly place with fine wine list and choice of cuts...I chose a well marbled 300 gm feast and simple salad and was surprised to see myself devour the entire plate...shamelessly stuffed and utterly satisfied...

They used to be on the main street and have a low budget hamberger joint around the corner but after a recent fire they have moved to a less chic space...still the same great guys... multitudinous stars...

• Visited December 2012
San Cristobal De Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico
“Wonderful food and atmosphere!”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

If you haven't eaten here, it is too bad. My wife and I went here and the food was delicious, the service was top notch and they did a great job all around. However it caught fire the next day and burnt down... I hope they rebuild and re-open...

• Visited December 2012
Cancun, Mexico
“romantic dinner”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I ate here on our first night in San Cristobal and I have to say that the food is very good, as well as there wine list. the price was a bit expensive but believe me, it was all worth it!

Visited November 2012