“Best in San Cristobal!”

Hotel Posada El Paraiso
A TripAdvisor Member
“Best in San Cristobal!”
Reviewed April 10, 2005

This hotel was wonderful! I had never been to San Cristobal before and staying at El Paraiso made the already wonderful trip even better.

The food there was so delicious! I cannot stress this enough, try the fresh baked breads and pies or the fondue. Everything I tried was yummy, but those were what stood out as the best.

The rooms were neat and the beds were very comfortable. It was nice to walk outside of my room in the morning into the beautiful little courtyard that had such colorful and vibrant flowers and trees. As for the service, it was excellent! Our rooms were well tended and the waiters were lovely. Dont believe anything negative about this place, if you dont stay here while in San Cristobal you are missing out!

• Stayed March 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 2, 2005

Just returned from spending a week at this delightful hotel in San Cristobal. I admit that I was a bit apprehensive about staying here after I read the Londoner’s extremely negative post about his experience there last November. Nevertheless, a friend who had lived in San Cristobal – at Na Bolom, in fact – had highly recommended it, so off we went.

This was my fourth trip to San Cristobal. The first two times I stayed at Na Bolom back when Trudy Blom ruled the roost and it was truly a “by invitation” place, mostly for academicians. My third stay was at a hotel that no longer exists in the outskirts of town.

To begin with, all of my primary requisites for a hotel were more than amply covered: immaculate common areas and rooms, firm bed, centrally located (half a block from the Santo Domingo church and two blocks from the main square), and very safe. We had a double room for which we paid $47 US dollars a night that was right off a beautiful courtyard bursting with bunganvilleas, a fountain, a shady tree in which hummingbirds nested, and plenty of places to sit and take it all in. The room was attractive, though somewhat small, and had a large window which faced the courtyard.

There were so many pluses though. The food! We really had to tear ourselves away from the hotel’s restaurant to try other places. Every single thing we ate there was excellent, whether it was Mexican, such as chilaquiles, molletes, huevos rancheros, or black bean soup, or Swiss (the owners are from Montreux and Fribourg), such as a cheese fondue that would have been deemed superb in Manhattan or San Francisco or even Geneve), and beautiful deserts that included fresh baked apple strudel and lemon meringue pie. And the coffee! Chiapas is a coffee producing state, and El Paraiso’s coffee was top-notch. The chef was trained at Le Cordon Bleu and the Lausanne Hotel School). The restaurant was attractive and filled with fresh flowers.

The staff was wonderful. Attentive, caring, unobtrusive. After our first few days, they were actually anticipating our needs.

What would I change? I’ve had to give this some thought, but I can only come up with one suggestion: it would have been nice to have some area guide books available. In this regard, Na Bolom reigns supreme. However, I did have dinner at Na Bolom one evening, and was disappointed with the some of the food. The bread, though freshly baked, was practically inedible, and the desert consisted of one half of a canned peach. Back in the days when Ms. Blom was still alive, the food at Na Bolom had been exceptional. While I still prefer Na Bolom’s rooms (they are less hotel-like and cozy), it was a comfort to know that if it got cold, we had heaters at El Paraiso. Let me tell you… it often gets very cold in San Cristobal at night, and it’s a drag to have to get up to deal with a sooty fireplace to build a fire in the morning, just to make the room tolerable enough to dress in. Na Bolom is also far removed from the center of town, and is a lot less desirable if you do not have a car.

I cannot imagine what must have happened between the hotel manager and the Londoner who complained about El Paraiso, but everyone who stayed at El Paraiso while we were there seemed very contented with their choice and stay.

• Stayed March 2005
7 Thank Beverlina
Toronto
Reviewed November 25, 2004

I stayed at this hotel recently and found it to be a pleasant experience, clean, nicely decorated with an attractive courtyard. The price was also quite reasonable about CND$51 per couple.
We did not eat at the restaurant, but the service at the bar was friendly and competent .

• Stayed November 2004
1 Thank Peter1
London
Reviewed November 21, 2004

We visited the El Paraiso in October 2004 and quite frankly were totally astounded by the revolting and un-professional way the owners of the hotel treated us. This hotel may be quaint and tastful but seeing as though there are many of these in San Christobal, I would seriously recommend you look elsewhere. Our table was booked in the restaurant which was completely empty apart from one other lone diner all night. The kitchen managed to mess up the entire dinner with cold, poor quality food, served indifferently and begrudgingly taken back twice only to be thoroughly and totally over cooked - and still cold. The meat was like shoe leather - and all this from apparently 'the best restaurant in San Christobel' After finally giving up asking (very discreetly and politely!) for my meal to be edible, I cut my losses and gave it back. I was then kindly presented with my full bill for the pleasure. I refused to pay for my main course and the owner went beserk. Literally. Shouting, calling me names etc. It was the most ludicrous display of customer service I have ever experienced. Go to the hotel as long as you are absolutely sure that if something goes wrong you are prepared for a massive show down.

3 Thank juliemb