“Noisy but great location”
Review of Hotel Casavieja

Hotel Casavieja
Reviewed December 29, 2011

The walls are thin and various noises from the courtyard get annoying but if you aren't noise sensitive this place is pretty good if you don't mind paying a premium.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank highabove

Reviewed November 23, 2011

Even with limited English, staff was very helpful. Wonderful internal yards, free wifi, decent breakfast - we believe this hotel deserves a place in top 20.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Such a pity the lack of service lets this one down so badly. Otherwise it is a charming hotel with series of intimate courtyards to read or simply soak up the place. Quiet, even with the tour groups, as there are 3 courtyard areas. I would recommend the place because it is a gem and close to the main action & Plaza but expect no service or English. We saw the local production Planque Rojo at the theatre which was brilliant !! Catch it if you can. Best market full of unique crafts is in San Cristobal.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2011

Two major disappointments with this hotel, and both relate ultimately to the management's indifference to our experience.
1. The bathroom. We stayed here as part of a 40 day trip through central America and this was by far the worst bathroom we found, despite the hotel being the second most expensive. The hot water tap was no more than a trickle (and cold) and the shower impossible to use (either scalding hot or freezing - no inbetween). We reported this on day 1 and the receptionist said she would get someone to check it. We heard nothing back - not even an explanation or an offer to change rooms.
2. Security. We came back after our first day out to find $20 missing from our (well hidden) money belt. After checking everywhere I saw the manager who promptly called the cleaner to the room. She denied any knowledge, to which he shrugged his shoulders at us and said he could do no more and that we should have used the security deposit at the front desk (which we hadn't been told about). The fact that money went missing is forgiveable - it happens in the best of places. What upset us was the attitude of the manager. No apology, no attempt to rectify the situation - he just put us in an embarrassing position for nothing. This happened to us once before and the hotel manager deducted the missing $30 from our bill and offered us a free stay, and that was on a $70 room bill! Here on a $300 bill it would have been easy to make a small gesture to us, but we left feeling that the staff here couldn't wait to see the back of us.
Not impressed - there are many hotel options in San Cristobal and we wish we had chosen any one of those instead.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 501places
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We chose this hotel after having to move from our previous one...our room was beautiful,set in a courtyard and spacious...stylishly laid out and lovely surrounds...we chose it because it had heaters though the first night we had to get another (they could invest in new ones)...location of hotel is brilliant within tw o blocks of centre and it is a decent option...strangely, they don't offer breakfast though this is not a problem given multiple options in San Cristobal...we would recommend staying here for those who want a slightly more upmarket option...

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DavidandJeff
Reviewed May 9, 2010

The hotel is charming with two courtyards and indoor sitting areas, lobby staff was very nice (limited English). The rooms are nice but definitely small. We had one room that had two doubles and one that had a double and a twin. The bathrooms were a bit cramped too, but clean and included shampoo, lotion & soap. We had breakfast (and brunch) at the hotel each morning. Breakfast is served at the hotel restaurant which is down the street a few houses. The hotel did a great job (and reasonably priced) on our laundry. Because of the courtyard setup, any noise made outside the rooms such as moving suitcases, talking loudly is pretty noticeable so we were woken up a couple of times during our stay. Overall, I’d recommend this hotel. In addition to its charm it’s in a great location. It’s a couple of blocks from the central square and just a block away from one of the main pedestrian/walkway streets

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2010

I stayed at Casavieja for about 10 days in February. Due to the length of my stay they quoted me a good price, and I found it to be a decent value. I had a good room at the end of the upstairs corridor with a view to the street, hills, and courtyard. This is probably one of the best rooms for view, although the afternoon sun inhibited my lingering on the balcony outside the door. Street noise was reasonable during night hours.

The room was comfortable. The bed was firm in the typical Mexican style, which I like. The heater kept the room warm on chilly nights, though I noticed only one of its two circuits was functioning. It was enough. The shower offered boiling hot water (a bit tricky to adjust), but the hot water was always available and heated centrally, instead of the all-too-common "electrocution shower" found elsewhere.

A couple of downsides. Wi-Fi is available throughout the property with several access points and strong signal. However, I think there's a configuration problem. I'd usually get a connection error, "Unable to retrieve IP address from server". I'm a computer geek; this tells me there's something amiss with the DHCP configuration in the access points. I found that if I kept trying long and hard enough, usually I'd connect after retrying anywhere from 2 to 20 times, or occasionally never. Once connected, it worked fine, and I took pains to stay connected so I wouldn't have to repeat the process of connecting. This was the main reason I didn't return to Casavieja on my two subsequent visits to San Cristobal during this trip.

In addition to Wi-Fi, there are two computers available for guests to use. (I preferred Wi-Fi however, which lets me use Skype to call home.)

Also, I found it's possible to spend your entire trip here without saying a single word to anyone. If you want to, you can peek around the computer monitor at the front desk to say Buenas Dias to the person hiding behind it, but that's up to you. Some people would appreciate the sense of privacy, I suppose.

They don't appear to be operating the restaurant. No problem; there are lots nearby.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo