“Hip Spot”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 11, 2012

La Biznaga is always crowded with both tourists and Oaxacans. It is very pretty and somehow just hip. I recommend the appetizers and drinks more than the main courses. Soups are also delicious. You have to go at least once.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Chalkboard menu, interesting creations. Fast service and bustling place. One block from Santo Domingo.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

During our one month stay in Oaxaca, we've been three times to La Biznaga, a very nice trendy restaurant serving excellent Oaxacan food «with a twist» as they say. We were never disappointed. The restaurant is centrally located and housed in a nice interior courtyard (rain proof) embellished with native plants and Mexican folk arts. The atmosphere is great and the service very courteous. The food served is really living up to the restaurant's reputation. Among other entrées, they have a tuna ceviche with a chipotle dressing that is irresistible (if you love ceviche of course). We also had the «pescado al pastor» (red snapper in mild sauce... very generous portion), the «zanduga» (chicken with banana in mole with guava... delicious and nicely presented) and a dish of tuna (can't remember the name) that was heavenly well cooked (often overcooked in many restaurants). The desserts were good, however not unforgettable. As a plus, they also serve great margaritas (supposedly the bests in town but I would not be able to confirm that... however they were really the best I had in Oaxaca). In conclusion, our experience was delightful each three times.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

The setting is gorgeous, the food is spectacular, the service is stellar. My friend and I ate here three times during our week-long stay and were delighted each time. We went at off times so it wasn't overly crowded. The portions are generous. I could not finish both an appetizer and a main course. In fact, my friend and I split an appetizer and then had a soup and we were more than full. The mushroom soup is really phenomenal. Go early in your stay so you have the option of returning!

Reviewed August 15, 2012

My wife, son and I ate here twice on a recent 12 day stay in Oaxaca. Both times the place was packed with locals and tourists alike - and for good reason. The food (modern Oaxacan fusion) is consistently good, the service is spot-on, and the prices are about 15 to 25 percent less than other "splurgy" restaurants in the historic downtown area. Plus the courtyard dining room is lovely. We enjoyed every dish we ordered but felt the soups, salads and appetizers were perhaps the best. And don't overlook the bar. They offer some tasty (and potent) mezcal-based cocktails and a great selection of local craft beers.

Only downside: La Biznaga is so popular, if you arrive around 8 p.m. - peak dining time - you may have to wait for a table.