“Clean, better-than-average rooms.”
Review of Hotel Maela

Hotel Maela
Ranked #50 of 109 Hotels in Oaxaca
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Yagul room, on the third floor. For the price, we thought the hotel provided very good service and rooms. What is most important to us is cleanliness and then shortly following, comfort of beds and noise level. The rooms are clean, the bathroom and shower in good working order. There is also an AC, if you are traveling during the hotter months. If you are used to finer hotels (like Camino Royal), you may find the rooms basic. There is no hair dryer in the bathroom or a telephone, for example. However, if you are seeking a clean room that is near the center of town, that is also moderately priced, I do think this hotel is a great value. You may have noticed that other hotel rooms charge around 90 to 100 USD per evening. We paid 715 pesos for our room (standard for two persons - what they call a 'suite).

Detractors to this hotel is that the wireless internet can be slow at times. Further, there are no bell boys or a large service staff.

For those seeking a nice, clean place to stay - that is also affordable - this is a good pick. However, for those seeking bells and whistles, you may want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank syl2114

Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I spent 5 days here and will be back for a couple of days in a couple of weeks. Room was good sized and well beyond our expectations. Check in, check out by Alfonso at the desk was fast and efficient. Room maintenance was great. Hotel is well located a few blocks from the Zocolo in a great neighborhood. Recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RexBuck
Reviewed November 25, 2011

It was during my 3rd trip to Oaxaca that I had the good fortune to stay at the Hotel Maela. The hotel typifies Mexican charm at its best: small, decorated in a traditional style, well-maintained by attentive staff, quiet, centrally located and all this for a VERY reasonable price.

Excellent choice for solo travellers, couples and small families. As mentioned, there is no elevator, so if you have mobility issues, this unfortunately may rule out staying here. There is secure parking...something not always available and certainly not at these budget prices.

One can walk everywhere and feel very secure in these neighborhoods at almost any time of the day or evening. There are many choices for eating out close by. My favourite was "La Olla" on the next street over just across from the great coffee shop also mentioned in an earlier posting.

Can't imagine staying anywere else the next time I visit!

Room Tip: In Mexico, room sizes in many if not most hotels, can vary even significantly. Always ask to see you...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank SavvyTraveller001
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Hotel Maela is in a great location -- only a couple blocks from Santo Domingo and extremely close to M. Alcala the main street in the historic district. I found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly. I had a single room with French doors and a ceiling fan that helped keep the room cool. The room was a bit small and the pillows on the bed were extremely lumpy making it difficult for me to sleep. There was a terrace near my room which had great views of the city. The wi-fi worked great! My room was quiet during the night. I paid about $40.00 a night which was a great deal for this location especially since it was near the festivities of Los Días de los Muertos.

Room Tip: If traveling alone I would inquire about the room. I saw one single room that didn't have any w...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Soledad2009
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I highly recommend Hotel Maela! I stayed there for Dia de Muertos in '07, and both my friend and I had a great time there. If you book in advance you can stay for $35-$40 USD/night; if you get there during the holiday without a reservation (provided there are rooms available) it will be around $70/night. The restaurant was closed for renovation while we were there, but there's so much good food right outside the front door that it was no problem. There's an incredible coffee shop on the same street, and it's within easy walking distance of Mercado Benito Juarez and the zocalo. Rooms are clean and staff is friendly. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carboncat
Reviewed January 24, 2010

I really liked this small hotel. It was a short walk to the Zocolo, and surrounded by cute little shops & cafes and a beautiful church. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We never took a taxi once...we walked everywhere, and again, just a few blocks from the Zocolo.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank sunny_traveler_71
Reviewed April 1, 2009

The Hotel Maela is on a quiet, shady street just a bock from the Church of Santo Domingo and about a fifteen minute walk from the bus station in one direction and the Zocalo in the other. Our room was rather small, especially since it had three beds, but very clean. The beds were wonderfully firm (if you like softer beds, don't stay here!) There was a safe air conditioner, and ceiling fan, all of which worked. There was plenty of hot water, though you had to let it run about 5 minutes to get it started. Our room overlooked the driveway to the parking lot, which could be noisy when they opened the gate to let cars in. Saturday night was also quite noisy because of a nearby bar with music. Otherwise, things were peaceful. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Our only complaint was a sewer odor from the bathroom drains, but we talked with other people who were staying in more expensive hotels, and they had the same problem, so this may not be avoidable in Oaxaca.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family