“Cheap stay, expecting no comfort” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa de Don Pablo Hostel

Casa de Don Pablo Hostel
Ranked #10 of 109 Specialty Lodging in Oaxaca
Berlin, Germany
“Cheap stay, expecting no comfort”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

GENERAL
Showers are outside the rooms, the basin is in the open (it rains while you brush your teeth)
You only get new towels every 3 days.
Water (shower) was cold for 2 days.
Free WiFi provided, incl. 3 stationary PCs.

CLEANLINESS
Rooms are not very dirty, but it smells a bit.

SERVICE
Personal at the desk speaks some English, are friendly.

ROOM
Everything seems to be concreted.

SLEEPING
Mattresses are very soft. Our room was away from the street, but still it was loud whenever someone used the toilets.

PRICING
300MXN a night (2 person). It is cheap, but there are cheaper places with a higher sleeping quality.

LOCATION
Central, walking minutes away from the market place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank FabianMS
Don_Pablo_says, Gerente at Casa de Don Pablo Hostel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
We are expecting you to come again and feel the difference of our facilities. Thanks for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

I stayed here for 16 nights in a private room. At the time, the "3 nights, fourth night free" special was in effect, so I first reserved eight nights and then later extended for another eight. On the upper floor has a room with a toilet and shower. On the ground floor are two toilets (one was out of order during my stay) and a shower. I think I heard/read that one of the dorms has a bathroom, but I don't know this for a fact. The windows and doors of the rooms are not tight fitting and do nothing to keep out noise (bugs also get in, but they were not a major problem). As a consequence of these facts, how well you enjoy your stay will depend on how many other guests there are, what type of people they are, and how uptight you are.

The first seven nights of my stay, there were actually few people staying at the hostel and they were all quiet. Starting on the eighth night (alas, after I paid to extend my stay), though, a group came in that would sit in the courtyard from about 5:00 or 6:00 in the afternoon until 12:30 getting progressively louder as the evening wore on. I wear earplugs and tried putting the fan on high, but they only helped so much. Luckily they only stayed for four nights, but the same problem would occur on other nights as more guests were staying due to the approaching tourist season. It wouldn't go past 1:00 AM, so normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but I had to be up in the morning for language school.

The cleanliness and availablility of the bathrooms also declined as the number of guests increased. The last night I was there, someone made an unbelievable mess in the upstairs bathroom that wasn't cleaned up before I left in the morning.

I don't understand the raving reviews some people give the breakfasts. They are OK for being free, but they are truly nothing special and rather small. There is variety: some days they serve a fruit platter (not very filling, but I'm always glad to get fruit when I travel), or eggs and cereal, or pancakes (with jelly/jam on the side to top them with), or quesadilla, or beans and tortillas. Jello (about a shot glass and a half worth) is a common accompaniment. I am not much of a coffee drinker, so I'm not a good judge of what is good coffee, but the coffee they serve is crap by any standard (very watery).

Speaking of breakfast, they make getting it an exercise in awkwardness. I don't think it is true what another reviewer wrote about breakfast not always being available. I'm sure it is always available. The thing is, you have to explicitly declare your desire to get breakfast. Showing up in the courtyard is generally not enough to elicit a response even if they notice you waiting. Probably no one will ask if you want breakfast. What you have to do is go up to the window of the kitchen next to the computers, and if someone is there, ask for breakfast as best as your Spanish ability allows. If no one is there, you need to look for an employee (there'll either be one at the disk or somewhere cleaning). In my entire stay, I only witnessed one occasion where a guest waiting in the courtyard was asked if they wanted breakfast. I had frequently seen guests come down and look around timidly wondering what to do. Some (like the other reviewer) just give up (and some of those help themselves to other people's food in the fridge in the general-use kitchen, grrrrr).

What's a little irritating is that soemtimes when you ask you get a "si', si'" as if it's already understood that you want breakfast and that it's forthcoming.

The staff is kind and very helpful. I'm kind of worried about one of them, though. He always seemed to be a bit morose; I hope he isn't suicidal. At night, he would sometimes wander around various places in the courtyard and the second floor carrying a cellphone or some other wireless device apparently looking for a strong signal like Diogenes looking for an honest man.

The place has WiFi. Naturally, the signal is great in the courtyard. It was pretty good inside my room. They also have computers available. There is a sign that states that they are to be powered off after use. I used one once and the time from when I pushed the power button to the point where I was actually surfing the web was upwards of ten minutes. But hey, netbooks are cheap (not in Mexico, though, they seem to be much more expensive here than in the US!), light, and surprisingly powerful; get one before you head out. There were two other computers there, and I'd noticed they were getting a lot more use than the one I had tried, so presumably they weren't as painfully slow.

They clean the place a lot. I was never there to witness it, but it was clear that every morning they would mop my floor. They should really sweep before doing it, though. Mopping over dirt every morning has caused dirt to accrete and harden around the base of the bed (which is a matress over a concrete slab; it is a comfortable mattress, though).

One afternoon around 1:00PM after returning from class, I was told I would need to gather my stuff in the closet or towards the door and then leave for about 5 hours as they were going to spray the rooms for bugs. That wasn't news I really wanted to hear, especially as I had some food in the room. It would have been nice to get a bit more warning. Why they needed to spray the room I don't know as there are no pumbling fixtures of any kind and the room is entirely sealed off from the others. All the bugs I had seen in the room came in from the door or window, and I don't think spraying is going to help much with that.

The location is great.

All-in-all, it's a good place for the price especially when you consider location and the fact that you get a morsel of food in the morning (if you explicitly ask for it!). For my private room, the rate averaged out to $100.11 US per week at the then current exchange rate. The "3 days, 4th night free" deal doesn't apply during periods of high tourism, though.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
It is really nice having you for long time in our hostel. Thanks for all the detailed description you wrote about it. It has helped us to focus in solving little problems and realizae about the good things we do. See you soon buddy! Thanks for your comment.
Channel Islands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2009

A bit basic with no real stand out features, courtyard was nice, rooms were very basic. It wont be the worst hostel you stay in but it wont be the best...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Since your comment was written in 2009, we have had a lot of changes, we invite you to feel our hostel again. We hope we can see you soon! Thanks for your comments.
nicolepettersen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

Great location 2mins walking distance to Oaxaca town centre, this hostel is decorated in true mexican style which makes it very special. The staff are friendly and helpful and it is quite a small hostel so its always quiet. The internet is faster than in any of the other hostels we were at in Mexico, but there is only one, so accessibility is limited. The only real negative would be the breakfast which was not very nice.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Great you enjoyed our hostel, Come again and you will like even more! Thanks for your comments.
hag
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

WE BEEN IN THIS HOSTEL FOR 2 NIGHTS, AND MOVED TO ANOTHER HOSTEL.

the man owner and his staff, are all over you the whole time.they look at you when you enjoying the sun. they just dont stop beeing next to you the whole time.
and we didnt see them so friendly with the others boys in the hostel, only with us the girls.
OTHER THEN THAT, ITS NOT IN A GOOD LOCATION, NOT MUCH ATMOSPHIRE,

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Don_Pablo_says, Propietario at Casa de Don Pablo Hostel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Me (the owner) and my staff are very respectful with all our guests in gender, sexual orientation, religious faith or political opinion. We beleive in human values and the tolerance. During all these 7 years of working as hostel, the staff have been trained to be better people and efficent and I dont accept a staff in a bad mood with female guests.
Eugene
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

We were a group of four that researched hostels in Oaxaca prior to arrival and booked Casa de Don Pablo for two nights. Once there, we liked it enough to book another three nights. Based on our limited experience staying in hostels, we found Casa de Don Pablo on par with the few others we have stayed in. We liked having breakfast included, even if it was pretty much the same every day. The staff was friendly, considerate, and very helpful. Basic Spanish skills will facilitate communication with staff. Otherwise another guest will likely be able to translate for you. The entire facility--guest rooms, bathrooms, and common areas--was cleaned daily. Security was very good as guests did not have a key to the front door, but ringing the doorbell generally got a prompt response from staff who opened the door and monitored access. The location was good, just a few blocks from the zocalo, which we frequented daily. It also turned out to near what turned out to be a favorite restaurant, La Flor de Oaxaca. A laundry was nearby.

Every hostel we've stayed in has a few problems. At Casa de Don Pablo, the first-floor showers had completely inadequate water flow and no good place to put clothes, towels, and other items while showering. Fortunately the second floor shower was much better, and even though two of us were on the first floor, we all used it. The dorms may have their own bathrooms, but we didn't see those.

Two free computers were frequently available for use, but they are clunky and some features were disabled. They are adequate for checking email and some web surfing. You may want to bring your own laptop and use the WiFi provided.

Noise was a minor problem. Mexican housing, with lovely central courtyards, are wonderful, yet when trying to sleep in a nearby adjacent room, even normal conversations can be heard. The street in front of Casa de Don Pablo was under reconstruction when we were there, so a nice new avenue will await you if you stay here. Still, there was the usual noise from nearby honking car horns that we have found to be common in all such cities as Oaxaca.

No phone is available for general use and I could not get a headset plugged into the computer to use Skype, although other guests were using it. If your cell phone doesn't work, phone booths are a short walk away.

In conclusion, we found Casa de Don Pablo to be a very good, comfortable, safe, and convenient place to stay. But then we were not expecting perfection at this price!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Great you had such a nice experience in our hostel. Come again and feel the hostel in a different mood! We have added and improved our facilities. Thanks for your comments.
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2007

I went to Oaxaca for Dia de Los Muertos and stayed at La Casa de Don Pablo
If you are looking for a hostal that is clean and a good value in the center of town, I recommend it. The hosts are very helpful and knowledgeable. I felt very much at home. You really should check out La Casa de Don Pablo

Stayed October 2007
Great you had a good experience in our hostel, See you soon again. Your should visit! Thanks for your comment.