“Ticks all the boxes”

Ranked #12 of 115 Specialty Lodging in Oaxaca
Sydney
“Ticks all the boxes”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We had a quick overnight stay in a private double. Room and facilities were clean and comfortable. A good breakfast was included - you can choose any 5 items from a set menu. It had everything you need from a hostel and was well located. No complaints overall, but one suggestion - it would have handy to have a list of recommendations of places to find great Oaxacan food.

• Stayed June 2012
Don_Pablo_says, Gerente at Casa de Don Pablo Hostel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
We are glad hearing you had such a nice stay in our hostel. We hope we can see you soon! Thanks for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 1, 2012

The Hostel is nice, its so clean and has excellent service, the people there is very friendly, you can feel like in home! It has a very tasty breakfast, and you can choose for five varieties of breakfast. The rooms are so comfortable and bathrooms are so clean. It has a terrace, with a very romantic ambience. It is ideal for youth and adults dynamic backpackers. The Downtown and the "Zocalo" of the city is very near. You can go walking in 10 minutes while you enjoy the view. I greatly recommend staying at the hostel. I want to come back to Oaxaca again, its so beautiful, and surely i will return to the Casa de Don pablo hostal.
Enjoy it!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Great you had a very good experience at our hostel. We love our job and we love making new friends and make them feel as home. See you soon! Thanks for your comment.
mexico
Reviewed September 2, 2011

This is a very nice place to stay, perfect blend of different people, friendly staff, Don Pablo needs to improve the morning breakfast.

Room Tip: any room is a good room, no bad experiences so far!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank victhetripper
Great you had such a nice experience in our hostel. See you soon! Thanks for your comments.
Reviewed April 21, 2011

we stayed at casa de don pablo for 4 nights and would recommend it to other travelers coming to Oaxaca. the double room was simple but had everything we needed: locker, fan, reading lights and privacy. nice shaded courtyard and breakfast included was quick and tasty! thanks.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank daveandrol
We are glad you have a nice experience in Casa de Don Pablo hostel. We wish having you in here again soon! Thanks for your comment.
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I stayed here with my boyfriend for a few days over the Day of the dead festival. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful - they sorted out a few things when we needed help with things & told us good places to go. We even built an alter with the staff as part of the celebrations which included going to the markets with them. We had a double room which was clean and comfortable. You change your sheets every 3 days which is fine and the room is cleaned daily. The shower and toilet was always clean. The breakfast was ok nothing amazing but not terrible either. There is free internet (3 computers). It is in a really good location about 5 minutes from the zocalo. The only thing bad I would mention is that sometimes people stay up in the courtyard and talk loudly which you can hear from all the rooms but you get that in a lot of places. It isn´t particularly luxurious but then it is only 7pounds a night (for a private double). We thought it was pretty good especially the staff!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Having a great experience in Casa de Don Pablo hostel is important for us. See you soon! Thanks for your comments.
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed August 30, 2010

GENERAL
Showers are outside the rooms, the basin is in the open (it rains while you brush your teeth)
You only get new towels every 3 days.
Water (shower) was cold for 2 days.
Free WiFi provided, incl. 3 stationary PCs.

CLEANLINESS
Rooms are not very dirty, but it smells a bit.

SERVICE
Personal at the desk speaks some English, are friendly.

ROOM
Everything seems to be concreted.

SLEEPING
Mattresses are very soft. Our room was away from the street, but still it was loud whenever someone used the toilets.

PRICING
300MXN a night (2 person). It is cheap, but there are cheaper places with a higher sleeping quality.

LOCATION
Central, walking minutes away from the market place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FabianMS
We are expecting you to come again and feel the difference of our facilities. Thanks for your comments.
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed July 3, 2010

I stayed here for 16 nights in a private room. At the time, the "3 nights, fourth night free" special was in effect, so I first reserved eight nights and then later extended for another eight. On the upper floor has a room with a toilet and shower. On the ground floor are two toilets (one was out of order during my stay) and a shower. I think I heard/read that one of the dorms has a bathroom, but I don't know this for a fact. The windows and doors of the rooms are not tight fitting and do nothing to keep out noise (bugs also get in, but they were not a major problem). As a consequence of these facts, how well you enjoy your stay will depend on how many other guests there are, what type of people they are, and how uptight you are.

The first seven nights of my stay, there were actually few people staying at the hostel and they were all quiet. Starting on the eighth night (alas, after I paid to extend my stay), though, a group came in that would sit in the courtyard from about 5:00 or 6:00 in the afternoon until 12:30 getting progressively louder as the evening wore on. I wear earplugs and tried putting the fan on high, but they only helped so much. Luckily they only stayed for four nights, but the same problem would occur on other nights as more guests were staying due to the approaching tourist season. It wouldn't go past 1:00 AM, so normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but I had to be up in the morning for language school.

The cleanliness and availablility of the bathrooms also declined as the number of guests increased. The last night I was there, someone made an unbelievable mess in the upstairs bathroom that wasn't cleaned up before I left in the morning.

I don't understand the raving reviews some people give the breakfasts. They are OK for being free, but they are truly nothing special and rather small. There is variety: some days they serve a fruit platter (not very filling, but I'm always glad to get fruit when I travel), or eggs and cereal, or pancakes (with jelly/jam on the side to top them with), or quesadilla, or beans and tortillas. Jello (about a shot glass and a half worth) is a common accompaniment. I am not much of a coffee drinker, so I'm not a good judge of what is good coffee, but the coffee they serve is crap by any standard (very watery).

Speaking of breakfast, they make getting it an exercise in awkwardness. I don't think it is true what another reviewer wrote about breakfast not always being available. I'm sure it is always available. The thing is, you have to explicitly declare your desire to get breakfast. Showing up in the courtyard is generally not enough to elicit a response even if they notice you waiting. Probably no one will ask if you want breakfast. What you have to do is go up to the window of the kitchen next to the computers, and if someone is there, ask for breakfast as best as your Spanish ability allows. If no one is there, you need to look for an employee (there'll either be one at the disk or somewhere cleaning). In my entire stay, I only witnessed one occasion where a guest waiting in the courtyard was asked if they wanted breakfast. I had frequently seen guests come down and look around timidly wondering what to do. Some (like the other reviewer) just give up (and some of those help themselves to other people's food in the fridge in the general-use kitchen, grrrrr).

What's a little irritating is that soemtimes when you ask you get a "si', si'" as if it's already understood that you want breakfast and that it's forthcoming.

The staff is kind and very helpful. I'm kind of worried about one of them, though. He always seemed to be a bit morose; I hope he isn't suicidal. At night, he would sometimes wander around various places in the courtyard and the second floor carrying a cellphone or some other wireless device apparently looking for a strong signal like Diogenes looking for an honest man.

The place has WiFi. Naturally, the signal is great in the courtyard. It was pretty good inside my room. They also have computers available. There is a sign that states that they are to be powered off after use. I used one once and the time from when I pushed the power button to the point where I was actually surfing the web was upwards of ten minutes. But hey, netbooks are cheap (not in Mexico, though, they seem to be much more expensive here than in the US!), light, and surprisingly powerful; get one before you head out. There were two other computers there, and I'd noticed they were getting a lot more use than the one I had tried, so presumably they weren't as painfully slow.

They clean the place a lot. I was never there to witness it, but it was clear that every morning they would mop my floor. They should really sweep before doing it, though. Mopping over dirt every morning has caused dirt to accrete and harden around the base of the bed (which is a matress over a concrete slab; it is a comfortable mattress, though).

One afternoon around 1:00PM after returning from class, I was told I would need to gather my stuff in the closet or towards the door and then leave for about 5 hours as they were going to spray the rooms for bugs. That wasn't news I really wanted to hear, especially as I had some food in the room. It would have been nice to get a bit more warning. Why they needed to spray the room I don't know as there are no pumbling fixtures of any kind and the room is entirely sealed off from the others. All the bugs I had seen in the room came in from the door or window, and I don't think spraying is going to help much with that.

The location is great.

All-in-all, it's a good place for the price especially when you consider location and the fact that you get a morsel of food in the morning (if you explicitly ask for it!). For my private room, the rate averaged out to $100.11 US per week at the then current exchange rate. The "3 days, 4th night free" deal doesn't apply during periods of high tourism, though.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
It is really nice having you for long time in our hostel. Thanks for all the detailed description you wrote about it. It has helped us to focus in solving little problems and realizae about the good things we do. See you soon buddy! Thanks for your comment.