“A Highlight of My Trip”

La Casa de los Sabores Cooking School
Ranked #4 of 24 Food & Drink in Oaxaca
More attraction details
Owner description: Many people who come to Oaxaca want to know more about the wonderful unique food from this region especially the variety of "mole" sauces, the banana leaf-wrapped tamales and the vast array of soups, all using typical Oaxacan ingredients.Experienced chef and owner of La Olla, Pilar Cabrera, offers you the opportunity to learn, hands-on, the complex cuisine of Oaxaca. Pilar´s cooking classes, held in La Casa de Los Sabores (House of Flavors), are set in her spacious, newly remodeled traditionally styled Oaxacan kitchen. In a warm and inviting atmosphere, you will learn to create the traditional Oaxacan dishes of your choice, made famous throughout Mexico and spreading worldwide. Shared and private classes include an explanation about the ingredients, a tour to the local market, hand-made meal preparation, mezcal tasting and, of course, the five course meal you prepared which you get to enjoy at the end of the class. Pilar will teach you her family´s generations-old cooking secrets so you can learn and enjoy a Oaxacan culinary legacy.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was my second cooking class during my 10 days in Oaxaca. I loved that the class size was small--only 5 people including myself and that we visited La Merced market which is smaller compared with .other markets downtown and devoted only to organic food..Chef Pilar did a great job of explaining what she was buying and the tour included a quick visit to a chocolate mill and seafood vendor. We also shared a nice hot bowl of "tejate" made with water, maize floor, cocoa beans and other ingredients to ward off the morning chill.
I also loved that the class was held in Chef Pilar's modern well-designed home on the outskirts of downtown, which made the experience more personal. In her spacious kitchen, she explained how to prepare the 5 dishes and demonstrated how to cook the complex Mole Coloradito with poached chicken. She speaks English well and answered all our questions clearly.

After tasting the mezcal, it was delightful to eat the meal we prepared, which was delicious and talk at her dining table. I have since cooked the same meal at home for friends who loved it. Buen Provecho!

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"buy ingredients"
"mexican dishes"

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Although I've traveled to Oaxaca on a variety of occasions, this was my first interaction with Pilar Cabrera and her cooking school. I, too, teach Mexican cooking in Denver and so my expectations were not extraordinarily high in terms of learning something new; however, Chef Pilar knocked my socks off! Her approach to both the cuisine, and the culture, of Oaxcaca is impressive and I would recommend this class to anyone — beginner or expert — with an interest in better understanding the intricacies of la comida mexicana! Muy bien hecho, Chef!

1  Thank LauraS088
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Even after many years of travelling to Oaxaca there are so many more layers of their culinary treasures to discover. That's why I registered for a cooking class with Pilar Cabrera. Classes commence at the neighbourhood Merced market, where we were introduced to the varied indigenous ingredients used in Oaxacan cuisine. We purchased some, we tasted others, while Pilar talked about how each is important and what they are used for. (It's also a great way to find out who are the best vendors, so you can return and stock up on ingredients). Loaded up with supplies, we took a quick drive, buying churros from her favourite vendor along the way, to her gorgeous kitchen, donned our aprons and set to work. We made two styles of tamales, salad, salsas, drank hot chocolate and enjoyed those churros. Before we sat down and enjoyed the fruits of our labour, we had a quick lesson on tasting mezcal. It was a fun and informative way to spend an afternoon. My one criticism, from a marketing perspective, and considering the cost of the class, we should have all been given a La Olla market bag,(la Olla is the name of Pilar's restaurant) instead of the tiny square of chocolate we came away with. It would do tons of promo as we returned to the market the next day, or paraded it around when we returned home. Food for thought.
I wouldn't hesitate registering for another class in the future, or recommending it anyone at any level of cooking expertise as a way to learn about this fascinating and complex cuisine.

3  Thank sheshe56
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This experience with Chef Pilar was great. With great patience and friendliness, she shared her home and her talents with a group of ten as we made a number of dishes. The food was tasty, the company fun, and we HIGHLY recommend that others take advantage of this opportunity.

1  Thank EngTeacher
See more reviews
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our fascinating and educational trip to the market, followed by an interesting couple of hours in Pilar's kitchen and then a wonderful lunch. At the market, Pilar taught our group of six about the fruits, vegetables, herbs and chiles we would be using to prepare our meal. The kitchen in her lovely home was perfectly set up for us to help prepare the dishes that were on the menu. Pilar's sous chef Maria was a great help and made our experience more relaxing and fun. Finally, we ate up all the fruits of our combined labour - a wonderful meal that I will try to recreate once I get back home, laden with chiles, chocolate, and Mexican herbs and spices.
The class begins at 9:30 and we said goodbye to our new friends at about 2:30. What a wonderful way to spend a day in Oaxaca!
Muchas gracias Pilar!