“Amazing food”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Excellent food!! We tried the octopus and the fish "garnachas"; they were both amazing, well seasoned and really fresh ingredients. Very creative dishes. Try out the margaritas... They are worth it. Very friendly staff. They explained how our dishes were prepared and the traditional ingredients used. A little gem in Oaxaca!

There are newer reviews for ZICANDA

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Most everything works at this restaurant. I love many restaurants of different levels of cuisine in Oaxaca. Zicanda is definitely in the higher end category of restaurants. That being said, it might be the most consistently good choices for food in that restaurant category currently. I still love many of the other restaurants that might be in that category (e.g.; Casa Oaxaca, Los Danzantes, Biznaga), but Zicanda is definitely worth investigating.

As for dishes, you could try most anything. The carnitas are excellent. The pulpo is excellent. The long and slow cooked pork belly is excellent. Try others and discover.
The drinks are also quite good - in particular, the marguerita a la jimaica or Malinche are good choices.

1  Thank VinAndy
Reviewed June 4, 2014

As a well-known Mexican chef specializing in traditional Mexican cooking, I have an aversion to "modern Mexican cooking." And, as an author of a book on the food and culture of Oaxaca, I was sure that any modern interpretation of my beloved Oaxacan food would be a sin but I must admit that I really enjoyed the food at this hip.

I particularly enjoyed the bone marrow tostadas and the chamoy ceviche was my favorite dish. Chamoys are Chinese plums dried in salt and sugar and are tart and juicy and taang mouth-puckering little snacks. We used to put one in the center of an orange half and suck away contentedly. His version is a successful play on this tradition . But everything was good and there is something for everyone.

5  Thank Zarela M
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This restaurant is phenomenal. It takes a lot to impress me because I live in San Francisco and living and eating there you quickly learn to differentiate between the food that is just ok and food that is great. The food at la Zicanda is exceptional… I fell in love with the pulpo and before I leave Oaxaca I plan to go back there and order 3 pulpo appetizers… that's how good it is! I also tried tostadas with bone marrow that were very good, little platano dumplings with cheese inside with chocolate mole sauce on the top and 2 desserts, the more memorable of which was spearmint granita.
If there is one thing that I were to fix, it would be making their cocktails a little stronger. I tried a couple of them and they were delicious but I could hardly feel any buzz even though they are quite expensive.
The place is very easy on the eyes and the waiters are super friendly. The chef came out to chat with us and got us an extra dessert and tobala mescal on the house but believe me, this is not I am writing this glowing review. ;)
I really wish I could pack Zicanda in my suitcase and take it with me back to San Francisco. I would even gladly pay the extra luggage fee… ;)

2  Thank tigerlily68
Reviewed May 8, 2014

The restaurant is a great venue with excellent service, but the food was just good - not great.

We had the grilled octopus, chicken tostadas, carnitas and steak. All good, but not memorable.

Recommend the Incognito red wine!

1  Thank Kellie L