“Positive Power of Advertising - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Rocks”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #32 of 133 Oaxaca B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I didn't find Casa Machaya by looking at tripadvisor, and in fact haven't gone to the site before now. I came to Casa Machaya because for years I have seen the ad for the B & B in an antiques magazine I read, Upper Canadian Showcase, and the articles in it that Alvin Starkman writes. So I came to Oaxaca essentially because of the ad I had been reading for ages. What a great decision, both coming to Oaxaca and staying at Casa Machaya with Alvin and Arlene, great hosts, great resources, and very helpful, welcoming and friendly. The first email I got in response to my inquiry set out all the information about the Casa including price, amenities, distance to downtown, free daily rides to anywhere downtown, and even measurements of every room. There were no surprises, except pleasant ones. Alvin and Arlene essentially made the vacation for us. Their welcoming nature, always available to give advice about touring the villages, ruins and other sights, restaurant recommendations, etc, etc, etc. What a great experience for us. I cannot imagine it being as good had we stayed elsewhere.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main guest level. Since we were a couple only, we didn't use the small extra b...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank grannymcOwenSound

Reviewed July 3, 2012

More than a room, this lovely apartment in the near north of Oaxaca City offers vistas from every window of mountain ranges in the distance with smaller peaks nearby flirting in their shadows. Spacious accommodations of huge bedroom, large bathroom, fully stocked eat-in outdoor kitchen that spills onto a large sunny patio. All this tumbles downhill into a verdant valley and the path down offers pickings of mango, pomegranite, fig, and citrus. Dash off to the requisite Oaxaca sites, then return to the peace and awe of this lovely b&b.

Owners Alvin and Arlene are themselves worth the price of admission, so take advantage of their local knowledge and comfortable demeanors and learn all you can from two people who really care about Oaxaca and its culture.

Room Tip: There's only one suite here, which offers up to a family of four complete privacy and a very spe...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TejanainQuito
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This was my second time staying at Casa Machaya, and Alvin and Arlene couldn't have been more gracious hosts. They drove me into town, offered me coffee in the morning and gave me loads of suggestions on things to see and do. The house is a little further away from Oaxaca City's Centro (10 minute cab ride), but the neighborhood is peaceful, and the views from their back terrace are stunning. I felt like I was getting away from it all. This is the perfect spot to bring a book and relax, and enjoy your vacation!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Lesley T
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Alvin, Arlene and Tito (their hilarious dog) are your hosts at this amazing guest house situated on a hill overlooking the valley of Oaxaca. Stay in your own artfully decorated private apartment with a lovely outdoor kitchen and large patio. Wake up every morning to a wonderful view of the mountains and city below and be treated to the singing, chirping, buzzing, barking and music of daily life in this hillside neighborhood. Alvin, an expert tour guide to the artful villages that dot the valley offers knowledgeable and intimate day trips to meet the master artists in rug weaving, wood sculpting, pottery and even mezcal plantations that Oaxaca is so famous for. Even though we arrived after 11pm on our first night Alvin insisted that he take us to their favorite Taco Stand for a late night welcome meal. Now that's hospitality!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Timothy S
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is an excellent place to stay when visiting Oaxaca. Whilst it is not right in the centre of the city, a taxi back from the centre costs around 50 pesos, and the hosts would give us a lift into town in the morning. Their knowledge of the area was amazing, and they were very helpful. The house is outstanding, the views are amazing, and the bedroom/kitchen/terrace was perfect. When we come back, I'd definitely stay back here again, and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dklon
Reviewed May 1, 2012

My husband, daughter and I utilized the upstairs guest bedroom at the Starkman's Casa Machaya, located fifteen minutes outside the main section of Oaxaca City -- living as though family members. Our hosts were kind, hilarious, vibrant and filled with great suggestions for experiences and day trips. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mrs G
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My first visit to Oaxaca and Casa Machaya was just a few months ago. I was with my girlfriend and we loved all our experiences - the city, Casa Machaya, our hosts Arlene and Alvin, etc. It was such a great introduction that when I returned home and spoke to my friends about it, three of us decided on a guys' trip. This time I relied less on the advice of Alvin and Arlene since I already had first hand knowledge of the city and villages and some of the other sights, thanks to Arlene and Alvin during the first visit.. I had been raving about mezcal to my friends, and about the little factories that Alvin took us to, different flavours and formulations, and so on, and that was the impetus for us to arrange this trip. But of course we did more this trip than mezcal.

Alvin and Arlene were great at showing us bus routes since we wanted to do more exploration on our own than my first visit. First time around my girlfriend and I relied on his expertise more than this time, but just like the first visit, both Alvin and Arlene were there as our personal guidebooks.

Once again we were warmly welcomed into their home. They now have added yogurt and granola to their breakfasts (everything is provided by the Starkmans in your own kitchen). The deep well they'd been anxious to inaugurate was finished and operational so now they have city water in addition to well water. Of course there was always hot water for showing, unlimited drinking water, and anything else you could want to make sure you feel homey and comfortable.

Last time the two of us stayed in the main guest level, but this time I stayed in the extra upstairs unit consisting of bedroom and washroom and a separate additional patio, while my friends used the guest level.

You could not ask for more gracious hosts. From their welcome, to the accommodations, to the facilities (kitchen appliances, TV with cable and DVD, furnishings), to the free daily rides downtown, and to the advice about touring villages, sights, museums, etc. Your privacy is respected, while at the same time you know that Alvin and Arlene are always available and anxious to help you plan out your visit.

I may not be back in Oaxaca for a couple of years, but I'll be back, and I'll be back at Casa Machaya.

Room Tip: If you travel with any additional adults aside from your partner, even adult children, it's best...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends