“Like staying in a friend's home”

El Diablo y la Sandia Libres
Ranked #4 of 128 Oaxaca B&B and Inns
San Francisco
“Like staying in a friend's home”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

It's like staying in a friend's home... one who has a large rambling courtyard & a small, cozy TV room. I stayed there on the tail end of a trip and frankly, was just tired of seeing things, being on buses & in taxis, talking with people... I needed to chill.

I had booked a couple of days in advance and when I walked in, I immediately added a 3rd and then, a 4th. I slept in a couple of mornings and then, walked around Oaxaca, checking out museums, getting cappucino at Cafe Brujula - sometimes, going out at night, sometimes not. With a key to the front gate, you come and go as you please. It's comfortable - not in a plush way, but in a cozy, comfy, personalized way.

The breakfast is delightful - certainly more than I'm used to at home. The bed was comfortable. The service and attention was fabulous. I liked seeing other guests and saying hello, how's it going each day. Maria set up her TV so we could watch the U.S. election results. That was interesting - seeing U.S. politics from a distance, knowing your ballot was already cast and then digging into the small "honesty refrigerator" for a beer.

This kind of place is why I travel - I want to be plugged into the local happenings, see art & sites/sights, and meet people without the veneer of a hotel (even though the Hotel Abu, which I also stayed at, was nice). Each of the rooms has a different theme and Maria decorates uniquely with bags and textiles from the area. Each day, I grabbed a different bag to hold my purse and camera.

You do hear street noise - usually it's the "whoosh" of cars in the background. That didn't bother me. There is a food establishment (to be avoided) diagonally across the street, however. It's open late and there was one night that people seemed especially noisy. I plugged in my iPhone headphones & listened to music but made a mental note to bring earplugs on my next trip. (I'm a light sleeper and each place (or bus) has its own set of noises. Fireworks and street music are common!)

Maria and staff are flexible and helpful. Maria is international - she moves in and out of languages and cultures easily. When returning to Mexico City on a late night bus, I was able to hang out, watch TV, and check my email before calling a taxi at 11 PM. Most hotels would require special arrangements. I'm returning to Mexico in a few weeks and hope to stay there again.

Room Tip: I loved Luna because it was on the 2nd floor - felt like my own little retreat. The patio is availa...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JacqueGrace

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I loved this b&b. The rooms are so perfectly decorated and the high ceilings are just amazing. The place was spotless and the sheets smelled like the freshest laundry! I loved the bed! The common are is super cool and we enjoyed the time with the other guests. Maria, the owner, gives a great vibe and makes you feel right at home. Loved it and would no doubt recommend it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I've stayed in many B&B's in Oaxaca before. This is definetly your best option in town, the owner is usually around and making sure your stay is beyond fine. The breakfast is exactly what you expect from a genuine mexican local cusine. Remeber to ask for los Palenqueros mezcal shop just around the corner!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed at El Diablo y la Sandia for five nights recently, and could not have been more pleased with what Maria and her team offer.

Maria has thought of everything, and you can see little touches here and there that show you how much care and consideration has been put into every aspect of this quaint B & B. From the handmade toiletries, to the sun hats and bags for your personal use, Maria has dotted every I and crossed each T.

The breakfast is light and fresh, and provides a lovely start to your day.

The rooftop terrace is a lovely spot to enjoy a drink or two, which are readily available from the fully-stocked honour-bar. Such a fabulous idea!

Maria thoughtfully provides a map of downtown Oaxaca, with some recommendations for places to visit, and great places to eat. If you’ve left your trip planning to the last minute (or not planned at all!), this additional info is a blessing! And if you’re looking for something that has not been listed on the map, fear not – you can ask any of the wonderful staff here for help finding or booking anything, and they will go out of their way to help you.

A truly gorgeous B & B!

Mexico City
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I looked online at many places in Oaxaca and from the moment Maria (the owner) replied to me I felt that this would be the right place - plus she had no problem with us taking our one year old with us, as many hotels in Oaxaca don't allow children. The whole stay was just wonderful, we stayed in Arpa and El Catrin rooms, both with their own individual decor (personally I liked Catrin more but both were nice). You can see that love and care has gone into every detail of the house, there are interesting Mexican crafts in all corners, rose hand cream in the bathrooms, honesty bar, upstairs patio with hammocks, TV room, well-equipped kitchen and plants everywhere. I particularly liked the commitment to the environment with buckets in the showers to collect water to mop the floors with - water shortage being a huge problem throughout Mexico. We felt instantly at home the moment we arrived, and it was wonderful to sit in the TV room in the evening with a beer, a cat sat on your lap and a dog next to you! Maybe not for everyone but we loved it. Maria has perfectly judged the way to be a good host in such a small B&B, we have found some places to be a bit overbearing but she was there just when you needed her, very friendly, and she had some great recommendations for eating out and day trips.
Breakfast was lovely and beautifully served, they made extra things for our daughter to eat without us having to ask, and the homemade jams were delicious.
Five stars for sure! Very highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lichita80
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed November 30, 2012

If you are looking for a whimsical, laid-back, comfortable atmosphere with delicious breakfasts and charming, interesting guests this is the place. My wife and I occupied one of the five rooms in El Diablo for two weeks while we explored Oaxaca. As time went by it became clear that Maria, the proprietor, had set the stage for international travelers to feel like they were coming home. How she and her assistants pull this off I am not sure but clearly the New York Times
felt the same way when they reccomended El Diablo.
If you end up going be sure to taste the tomatilla preserve and ask for the cheeses quesadillas
in tomato sauce. Oh, and please say hi to Rosie for Carmen and me.

1 Thank WaWa087
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 20, 2012

El Diablo y la Sandía was the place were we stayed on our first trip to Oaxaca and we just came back and stayed there again. The owner, Maria, and her aides Rosy and Angeles treated us like family and were always ready to help on whatever was needed. Totally recommend it.

Room Tip: The rooms on the street level are great. The one on the second level has the better view and easy a...
1 Thank Glecom