“Great Hotel Experience” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
NYC
“Great Hotel Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Spent nine nights at this lovely and charming hotel at the end of October. I'm so glad that it was highly recommended to me and I'm happy to report that it lived up to my expectations and more! Traveled solo - I don't speak Spanish and I found it extremely cozy and friendly. The staff is terrific - very helpful and accommodating. They really strive to offer first class service in a delighful, but unpretentious environment. They even have bubble wrap at the ready that they gladly offered up as I was packing the fragile goodies I purchased during my travels. I adored hearing the beautiful chirping birds in the morning and sitting in the lovely courtyard. Room was large and comfy - I was on the ground floor -the first room. Flat screen TV with sooo many channels - not that I was there to watch TV, but I appreciated the many options in English. While they don't yet have CNN International, I'm told they are planning to add it to their package. As mentioned in other reviews, the towels shaped into adorable animals by the talented housekeeping staff were a daily delight - as were the flowers and chocolates placed in my room. It's perfectly located - just two blocks from the Zocola and a few blocks from the Soledad church. Muchas gracias to Jorge, Uriel, Mayra, Mariana, Judith, and all the wonderful staff who made my stay so special. Big thumbs up for Parador San Miguel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Maddy4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I chose this hotel because of the great reviews on Trip Advisor, and was not disappointed.
Great location, spotlesslly clean, lots of hot water and extremely helpful staff. I speak no Spanish, but this was not a problem at all.
It is a small hotel, but this only adds to its charm. The courtyard is delightful (although I ewish they didn't have caged birds). My room was the smallest of the lot, but I certainly found it large enough for my needs. Love the towels folded into different animal shapes every day.
Only two drawbacks: 1) the restaurant is overpriced and the food unexceptional, and 2) the recommended tour company was dismal. I tool 4 of these tours and only 1 (to Monte Alban) was worth the price. You are far better off hiring a taxi for a day than going on these cattle trips. Food from the street stalls 2 blocks away is a far better bet for eating.
I spent 5 nights here and found it just wasn't enough time to see and do everything I wanted. Recommend you spend at least a week; preferably two!

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room if you have a problem climbing stairs.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Chapala, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have stayed in this spotlessly clean, efficient, small boutique hotel twice this year, both times for 3 nights with a tour of seniors, which can be challenging to any hotel. There is not much that they don't think of in terms of your comfort. Check in for our group of 30, from curb to room was accomplished in about 10 minutes. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The maid looked like she could also have worked in the reception area. Considering the location,\on a busy street, the the rooms are very quiet. Good food and service in the convenient restaurant at reasonable prices.This is a place that has taken any small negative and turned it into a positive. Everything from the sheets and pillows to the soap and decor are quality. Normally, I consider a hotel just a place to sleep and price is a big consideration. As long as it's clean, I'm okay without a lot of frills. This lovely place is the exception.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mamajo956
Telluride, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I own a tour company and have brought two groups to Parador San Miguel. I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Oaxaca City. The staff goes above and beyond to make our stays outstanding. They are efficient, professional and accommodating. The rooms are lovely and the courtyard, with its plants and singing birds, is an oasis in the city. The rooftop deck is a wonderful place to enjoy a glass of wine with the city at your feet. The restaurant is charming and the food is delicious. Located almost on the zocalo, it is the perfect location to walk to all the sights of Oaxaca City. I highly recommend this charming hotel to anyone visiting Oaxaca City.

Room Tip: The suites are especially lovely and roomy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NatureQuest37
Puerto Escondido, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I like this hotel very much: it's relatively new and beautifully finished and furnished and the location is super. Daytime staff, once again, were great but service at night was pretty bad. I like to have a smoke and a whisky and read after dinner so we were in the patio area on the ground floor reading when the lights went out. The person responsible for turning them off saw us reading but said nothing. I went to the front desk and got a frosty reception, but we eventually got a floor lamp lit near a sofa in the corner, and were fine. Nothing ruins a good hotel experience like being treated as if you're in the way.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Parad0rSanMiguelO, Director General at Hotel Boutique Parador San Miguel Oaxaca, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear client: I appreciate your comments, also we are very thankful you visit our Parador for a second time. But I'm very concern about the situation you mentioned in the review, personally I've been training our staff in order to give our guest the service you deserve. I'm so sorry if some one of our personnel was unpolite or rude with you, make sure I'll talk to them, this kind of negative action can not happen again because we understand you clients are the reason of our business.
On behalf of all my staff and myself please accept our most sincere apologies.
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The other reviewer has said it best, it is a small boutique hotel which exudes southern Mexican charm. We were lucky to be staying at the suite and your can't beat it with the charm, ambience and location. If you want to stay in a charming and cozy place and yet close to zocale, this is the one.
It would be ideal if the unit come with a small frig so you don't have to run down to the bar/kitchen to get ice.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper then request a room that is towards the far back. But we don't find t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Charming place, great location, nice people.... The hotel is great, traditional mexican style. I was impressed nu their attention to details, everything was taken into consideration. very clean, located right in the center, reception desk very helpful. What can I say more: I hardly recommend it !

• Stayed September 2012