“A pleasant oasis in a magical city”

Hotel Casa del Sotano
Ranked #22 of 110 Hotels in Oaxaca
Reviewed May 28, 2013

At the last minute prior of our trip, I decided To change our reservation in another hotel for pCas del Sotano; I don't know if it was the name, the pictures and the reviews but I felt that these was going to be the one to spend eight days in one of the most beautiful cities in Mexico. We were greeted by the person in charge, unfortunately I don't know her name but she was gracious and helpful and she gave us a beautiful room with a balcony and everything that we needed. We were surprised by that relaxing mood of the hotel; being In a busy street, once you are inside. everything is quiet and peaceful. Breakfast in the terrace was absolutely gorgeous this with the excellent. The room was spotless although the bathrooms are a little bit small, but when you are on vacation in such an interesting city, who's going to spend time in the bathroom more than necessary? I will go back without hesitation!

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room with balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank butterflymariposa

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Wonderful little casa. Very friendly and helpful. Stayed there for many nights. Beds are super hard but that's kinda normal there. Beautiful grounds, good food, good prices, great location. Stay there!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Nice religious decorations. Rooms are little small, but are comfortable. Pretty good location - can walk to most downtown attractions. This hotel has a LOT of rules. You can't bring guests or alcohol into the hotel, along with a long list of other rules that are prominently displayed in the room. This made it feel a little more like youth hostel than a hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank JohnR7714
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed in casa del sotano with my boyfriend last month April,we really loved the colonial feel of the place,at first we thought having no a/c was going to be a problem,but Oaxaca city has cool nights,we slept with our windows open and it wasn't a problem.We loved how clean they keep the place and how friendly and helpful the staff was.I specially loved the breakfast patio with the view of the city,i enjoyed my breakfast but was disappointed that the times i went for breakfast they never had pan dulce to go with my cafe the olla,but over all we loved the place and would love to stay there if we ever go back to Oaxaca city.Oh another plus about the hotel is that is very close to the old church of Santo Domingo and historic district.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, good food. Bed was hard and I was sick so I wish it had been softer. Every employee I spoke with was nice. Right down the road from santa domingo, and lots of restaurants, cafes, and art stores. I'd stay again, hopefully in a softer bed. Great view from the roof as well.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Great location, friendly staff and excellent food. The courtyard was a great place to relax after a long day of exploring.

Unfortunately, the room was quite warm. The fan did not do an adequate job of keeping it cool, and as the balcony doors opened right above the dining area, and were right next to my bed, I wasn't comfortable sleeping with them open with people still eating and drinking in the bar area. My guidebook said all rooms had A/C - they do not.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Casa del sotano is in a great location. A short walk from the town centre so nice and close without being too noisy. The staff are very welcoming and helpful. Breakfast is not included so you have to spend a little extra, but it is worth it.

Our only problem was that the room was quite hot and stuffy. There were 2 fans in our room but one did very little and the other sounded like an aeroplane landing.

For the price, well worth it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends