Hotel Casa del Sotano
$66
$63
$102
  • Restaurant
All reviewssanto domingocity at nightvarious levelsbusy streetthe open air restaurantrooftop terraceintimate hotelbottom floorfew blocksdegree viewchilaquilesoaxaca cityprices are very reasonablesmall balconyroom safepay cashreception area
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Excellent hotel.

I was there with my husband, we wanted a comfortable place to sleep and spend the hot hours in the afternoon after sightseeing. However, the Casa del Sotano is a lot more than a place to sleep in.

The rooms are impecably clean and very nicely decorated. There's no iron or iron board, but there's a hair drier. Beds are firm and comfy.

The patio is very pretty and authentic, with lots of plants and a fountain.

The hotel has a terrace with a really nice view and affordable breakfast.

Rosalba and her staff (as mentioned by other reviewers) are really welcoming and helpful.

The carpark they suggest to their guests is more than adequate and we found that the staff there is much better than at other Oaxaca carparks. Only a few roads away from the hotel.

However, avoid Oaxaca during May as the teachers camp on the streets in protest near the centre and it is impossible to walk around or enjoy the main square.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely, the king size rooms are bigger.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alexfm
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We found casa del sotano on trip adviser and loved it from the moment we arrived. It's centrally located and at the northern, slightly posher side of the city (10 min slow walk to the zocalo), has a wonderful view from the breakfast terrace, a beautifully looked after courtyard garden. The staff were phenomenally helpful, they allowed us to check in really early, they were prepared to work with our budget, they gave us a fantastically spacious, clean, cool suite were able to feed us breakfast even when we rocked up after 11 am. I am at a loss to think of negative comments. It's great value. Book it.

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank TomFulford
Reviewed May 20, 2012

The Staff is very friendly. The hotel is located 3 blocks from Downtown, Breakfast is wonderful and Organic. Highly Reccomend

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank tanksamil
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I had never traveled to Oaxaca, or anywhere in Mexico for that matter. I chose this hotel due to its high ratings on trip advisor. I was not disappointed! The hotel was VERY clean, so much so, as an eco-friendly traveler, I asked to only have my room serviced every other day which they were happy to oblige! All of the staff were accommodating, the views amazing, and AC not needed! The way the hotel is constructed, like all good Mexican construction, it stays very cool in the heat. Also, it is located in the tourista area so in spite of what the Moon travel guide told me, I felt very safe walking at night and going out to several of the local bars. Many expats live in the area and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Oaxaca! Too many delightful things to list!

Oh, and the coffee shop in front of the hotel is magnificent! The shopkeeper, Rosio, is such a sweetheart and was very helpful in telling me where to go and where not to go!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 20 which I thought might be warm as it is on the upper lever but, by opening the windows in the evening my room stayed very comfortable all the time! Would be a bit noisy if the hotel was full due to walkway and stairway but I had no problems!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank CoraBrooke
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I was part of a wonderful group of artists and photographers called Destination-Arts, visiting Oaxaca to paint, sketch, learn about photography and printmaking. There were 22 of us altogether and this is the hotel our guides picked out for us. The night we arrived (on the late side) they had a wonderful welcome party for us with delightful appetizers and shots of mescal (the local fav drink!) We were led to our rooms, and at first I was a bit disappointed - no view of the town (my room faced the inside courtyard)! The bathroom was clean and nice, but very small. I found out later that all the rooms face the inner courtyard, and that this is a tradition there to help the rooms stay cool in the heat of the summer and for the quiet atmosphere found there.

The next morning I woke up and began to appreciate the magic of this place. They have a beautiful outdoor terrace where guests can choose from a huge menu of delicious breakfast items. We all tried various Mexican (Oaxacan) specialties, like enchiladas with black mole for breakfast!! I ended up settling most days for a fresh fruit plate and their rich, delicious yogurt and granola (save the heavy food for later in the day!) The view from the terrace is spectacular, looking out toward the Cathedral de Santo Domingo (which is also lit up at night for great viewing).

The inner courtyard is also very inviting and a quiet haven from the busy street just outside the doors. One of the most wonderful things about the place was the very heartfelt staff. I felt completely safe and comfortable staying here. Another real bonus is the location, which is a few blocks from the center of town, the Zocolo, and a number of great markets including the organic market which we visited on Friday and Saturday.

I would highly recommend this lovely intimate hotel if you're visiting Oaxaca.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends