“Simply the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Oaxaca Ollin

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Oaxaca Ollin
Ranked #1 of 127 Oaxaca B&B and Inns
New York
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

Prompt and informative email responses for reservations or any other inquiry…
Great location that is easy walking distance to all the attractions yet nestled in a quiet residential block away from the street noise…
Great rooms that are clean, polished, and tastefully decorated and rates are reasonable.
Wireless internet…
Superb staffs that are friendly, considerate and treat you like their own family.
Expert advices on local and regional tour…
Sumptuous breakfast cooked and served with skills and care…
Beautiful blue-tiled pool with sparkling clean water…
Simply the best.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Short hot shower
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Brisbane, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2007

We have stayed in many B&B's over the years, mostly in the US, and some in England, Scotland, Spain, and Italy, and have had good experiences in most of them. But without a doubt OLLIN was our best B&B experience. We stayed 11 nights and were treated as family in the best possible sense. The kindness and commitment of the staff is extraordinary.

The building itself is beautiful, with local arts and crafts on display, lovely furniture, and tasteful designs and decorations, and the location is ideal, just a block and a half north of the Santo Domingo garden wall, and half a block from the Garden Conzati.

This was my third time to Oaxaca (for two weeks in 2000, and then four months in 2006), but never before at OLLIN. It was my wife's first visit to Oaxaca and she couldn't have landed in a better spot.

The breakfasts are delicious and intriguing each day, too, but the Judith and Jon and their remarkable staff are the keys to this great place. If you are familiar with Oaxaca or if it is your first time, this is an excellent place to stay.

• Liked — the knowledge and kindness of the staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tonypress
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2007

I travel to Oaxaca every summer for research. This year I wanted to "splurge" and not share a room with several other students or do a homestay. I read about Ollin in my new Moon guide to Oaxaca and contacted them via e-mail. Jon responded right away and called me to answer any questions. They were even willing to let me bring my son, which I did not end up doing this year. My room was clean and beautifully decorated, I was upgraded to a larger room during my stay, and the service was wonderful. Breakfast each morning prepared fresh by Sophie included sweet breads, fresh juice, fresh fruits, coffee, tea, and a traditional main dish. They even have a pool! The location is excellent. The street is quiet, there is a Spanish language school around the corner, and it is about 2 blocks behind Santo Domingo. Just a few blocks down Alcala and you are at the Zocalo, and a few blocks over is Parque Llano. I look forward to going again next year, I already miss the coffee!

• Liked — Service and location
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Las Cruces New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2007

The Ollin Bed and Breakfast in Oaxaca Mexico created the climate for our appreciation and enjoyment of Oaxaca and the amazing ruins in the area. The charm and grace of Ollin's environment and the staff were ever apparent. My husband and I felt that we were valued and welcomed guests at all times. Judith, the owner provided us with ongoing information on the area and provided us with access to a considerate, knowlegable and responsible driver that created access to the wonders of the area in a convenient and comfortable manner. At one point, we needed a physician and Judith arranged for a home visit from a local and competent doctor. I must not forget to tell you about the numerous times that the staff made herb tea for us and brought it to our room. The lovely Ollin served as the focal point for our trip to Oaxaca. We shall remember with affection and appreciation the staff of the Ollin who served as our introduction to the intelligent ,graceful and accomplished people and culture of Oaxaca. Oh yes, the flowers -flowers everywhere and fresh flowers in our room - a delight!

• Liked — authentic attractive environment and staff
  • Disliked — no comment
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2007

What a great place to call home in a marvelous city. Judith and company are friendly, accomodating and will go out of their way to make your stay as perfect as possible. The prices are more than reasonable, and the included breakfast is delicious. I would recommend this bed and breakfast without reservation, and I can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Food, friendliness, location, cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2007

Stayed at Oaxaca Ollin from February 22-25, 2007
This is a warm, welcoming, and very friendly B&B! It truly represented the City of Oaxaca!

I was very impressed right when we arrived there. We were about three hours late checking in; however, Judith and her very friendly and helpful staff waited and welcomed us right outside the gates! We had stayed in the village of Teotitlan de Valle prior to coming to Oaxaca City and visited Santa Maria de Tule to view the awesome 2000 years old El Tule cypress tree (a must to see).

The room we stayed in was the Ollin. It was very clean, bright, beautiful, and very spacious for our family (myself, my husband, and 9 year old son). There was a futon bed for our son and a
true King size bed for my husband and I. We had my mother-in-law travelling with us and Judith made sure that her room was not very far from ours. Judith and her staff were very accomodating to her needs as well.

The SWIMMING POOL was also a BIG EXTRA. It was a welcome respite after a long and fun day around town. The pool is new and very, very clean. Our son really loved it!

Oaxaca Ollin is in a quite neighborhood north of the Zocolo, but ONLY 10 to 15 MINUTES walk to the centre (Zocolo). Now this would be a walk with a 9 year old child! It is 5 minutes walk to Santo Domingo Church, the Botanical Garden and the Cultural Museum. The BIG SURPRISE to us was that Oaxaca Ollin is just around the corner from the Aquaducto and where they have the organic market every Saturday. This market is much smaller than the main one they have every Saturday near the Zocolo but we loved it. We were able to talk and meet with the locals, hear music, taste awesome food, and our son played with some kids there. We also stumbled upon a fashion show going on there at the time.

Our host, Judith, truly represented how a host should/could be,
and more. One morning, we took a fun trip to Monte Alban with Judith as our guide. It was not until the following morning that
we realized our camcorder was missing and we probably left it at the museum store back in Monte Alban. My husband was just going to call the museum and ask; but without hesitation, Judith offered to drive my husband back up to Monte Alban. Sure
enough, my husband left it at the store AND the workers at the museum found the camcorder and was keeping it until the owner comes back for it. We were so thankful and grateful to Judith for going out-of-her-way that morning and for the store workers for being so honest and kind. I don't think we would have received this type of help and kindness if we were staying in any of the big hotel or B&B in town. And they say good people are hard to find!
The workers at the store museum did not want any reward, etc. They only ask...that we treat any Oaxacano we meet with kindness and tell people to come visit Oaxaca. These we intend to do --- GO VISIT OAXACA!

• Liked — Very welcoming host, helpful staff, Location AND Pool
  • Disliked — -----
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank PEN_travels
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2007

My stepdaughter and I decided to go to Oaxaca pretty spontaneously , even though Mexican friends had been recommending it for years , telling us 'If you go one place in Mexico, make it Oaxaca". I made a search for accommodation using 'Tripadvisor' reviews as a guide. Fortunately, they had room for us, and we flew down 6 days after booking. From the inquiry about availability to our reluctant goodbyes, we were delighted and WOW'ed by the attention, grace, and fabulous service we got. Jon answered questions and concerns promptly via email about what we'd need and not need to have on hand, what was available, the best way to get to the Ollin from the airport, and different options to see sights as we had only 5 days in Oaxaca. We arrived hot and dusty from the airport after connecting in Mexico City, and we offered chairs and a special drink made from a local flower (kind of like a delicious cold tea) as we checked in. The owners were very accessible and answered questions and chatted enthusiastically about the city and the area. We ate at fabulous restaurants each night after checking guide book choices with Jon and Judith; each meal was fantastic. Lunch? We didn't need any, as the Ollin breakfasts were bountiful and delicious, equal to any other place in town with regards to taste, integrity to authenticity and creativity consistent with Oaxaca's reputation of having the best food in Mexico. Mmmmmmm!! Gracias, Sofi! The fresh fruit followed by a different creation every morning, excellent coffee and hot chocolate - fabulous! I own a bustling cafe in Canada, and appreciate great staff and team players, and the work it takes to build an award winning service offering.... I was easily dazzled by Jon, Judith, and their team of warm, attentive, talented folks. The room was super clean and well stocked - bottled water, lots of towels, etc. The rooms all face an inner courtyard where the pool is... quiet and peaceful at night, yet a quick walk to Oaxaca's main square. We went for our first swim after a day in Monte Alban, and were handed towels as we climbed out - someone just picking up on us not having any with us. Each day was a treat; the most stellar of our experiences was a day trip to Tule, Tlacochahuaya. Mitla, and Yagul. He arranged a guide to take us - a gracious, friendly, intelligent and just plain NICE person, Caesar, to take us. The value add factor can't be exaggerated. Caesar is also a cello teacher and player, and offered to play for us after I told him I once played the violin. He played 3 pieces in an otherwise empty church in Tlacochahuaya. Whew, Beautiful! As well, he shared history and perspectives of each spot and the area in general. Everyone came to wish us off as we left for the airport. We're a well-traveled bunch in my family, and as I worked as a flight attendant for 27 years, I had lots of opportunities to stay in inns and B&B's on holidays in Europe, the UK, Japan, Israel, and Australia. This is a five star one, with owners and operators that rival what has been my top pick for over 20 years. When I return to Oaxaca, I won't be considering staying anywhere else but the Ollin - and I expect next time I should wisely book well in advance. Kudos to Jon and Judith, and THANK YOU for making our experience in Oaxaca so amazing.

• Liked — Warm, welcoming staff, cleanliness, peaceful atmosphere, and great food
  • Stayed May 2007