“The graceful Ollin”
Review of Oaxaca Ollin

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Oaxaca Ollin
Ranked #2 of 126 Oaxaca B&B and Inns
Las Cruces New Mexico
“The graceful Ollin”
Reviewed June 29, 2007

The Ollin Bed and Breakfast in Oaxaca Mexico created the climate for our appreciation and enjoyment of Oaxaca and the amazing ruins in the area. The charm and grace of Ollin's environment and the staff were ever apparent. My husband and I felt that we were valued and welcomed guests at all times. Judith, the owner provided us with ongoing information on the area and provided us with access to a considerate, knowlegable and responsible driver that created access to the wonders of the area in a convenient and comfortable manner. At one point, we needed a physician and Judith arranged for a home visit from a local and competent doctor. I must not forget to tell you about the numerous times that the staff made herb tea for us and brought it to our room. The lovely Ollin served as the focal point for our trip to Oaxaca. We shall remember with affection and appreciation the staff of the Ollin who served as our introduction to the intelligent ,graceful and accomplished people and culture of Oaxaca. Oh yes, the flowers -flowers everywhere and fresh flowers in our room - a delight!

• Liked — authentic attractive environment and staff
  • Disliked — no comment
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 27, 2007

What a great place to call home in a marvelous city. Judith and company are friendly, accomodating and will go out of their way to make your stay as perfect as possible. The prices are more than reasonable, and the included breakfast is delicious. I would recommend this bed and breakfast without reservation, and I can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Food, friendliness, location, cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 17, 2007

Stayed at Oaxaca Ollin from February 22-25, 2007
This is a warm, welcoming, and very friendly B&B! It truly represented the City of Oaxaca!

I was very impressed right when we arrived there. We were about three hours late checking in; however, Judith and her very friendly and helpful staff waited and welcomed us right outside the gates! We had stayed in the village of Teotitlan de Valle prior to coming to Oaxaca City and visited Santa Maria de Tule to view the awesome 2000 years old El Tule cypress tree (a must to see).

The room we stayed in was the Ollin. It was very clean, bright, beautiful, and very spacious for our family (myself, my husband, and 9 year old son). There was a futon bed for our son and a
true King size bed for my husband and I. We had my mother-in-law travelling with us and Judith made sure that her room was not very far from ours. Judith and her staff were very accomodating to her needs as well.

The SWIMMING POOL was also a BIG EXTRA. It was a welcome respite after a long and fun day around town. The pool is new and very, very clean. Our son really loved it!

Oaxaca Ollin is in a quite neighborhood north of the Zocolo, but ONLY 10 to 15 MINUTES walk to the centre (Zocolo). Now this would be a walk with a 9 year old child! It is 5 minutes walk to Santo Domingo Church, the Botanical Garden and the Cultural Museum. The BIG SURPRISE to us was that Oaxaca Ollin is just around the corner from the Aquaducto and where they have the organic market every Saturday. This market is much smaller than the main one they have every Saturday near the Zocolo but we loved it. We were able to talk and meet with the locals, hear music, taste awesome food, and our son played with some kids there. We also stumbled upon a fashion show going on there at the time.

Our host, Judith, truly represented how a host should/could be,
and more. One morning, we took a fun trip to Monte Alban with Judith as our guide. It was not until the following morning that
we realized our camcorder was missing and we probably left it at the museum store back in Monte Alban. My husband was just going to call the museum and ask; but without hesitation, Judith offered to drive my husband back up to Monte Alban. Sure
enough, my husband left it at the store AND the workers at the museum found the camcorder and was keeping it until the owner comes back for it. We were so thankful and grateful to Judith for going out-of-her-way that morning and for the store workers for being so honest and kind. I don't think we would have received this type of help and kindness if we were staying in any of the big hotel or B&B in town. And they say good people are hard to find!
The workers at the store museum did not want any reward, etc. They only ask...that we treat any Oaxacano we meet with kindness and tell people to come visit Oaxaca. These we intend to do --- GO VISIT OAXACA!

• Liked — Very welcoming host, helpful staff, Location AND Pool
  • Disliked — -----
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank PEN_travels
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2007

My stepdaughter and I decided to go to Oaxaca pretty spontaneously , even though Mexican friends had been recommending it for years , telling us 'If you go one place in Mexico, make it Oaxaca". I made a search for accommodation using 'Tripadvisor' reviews as a guide. Fortunately, they had room for us, and we flew down 6 days after booking. From the inquiry about availability to our reluctant goodbyes, we were delighted and WOW'ed by the attention, grace, and fabulous service we got. Jon answered questions and concerns promptly via email about what we'd need and not need to have on hand, what was available, the best way to get to the Ollin from the airport, and different options to see sights as we had only 5 days in Oaxaca. We arrived hot and dusty from the airport after connecting in Mexico City, and we offered chairs and a special drink made from a local flower (kind of like a delicious cold tea) as we checked in. The owners were very accessible and answered questions and chatted enthusiastically about the city and the area. We ate at fabulous restaurants each night after checking guide book choices with Jon and Judith; each meal was fantastic. Lunch? We didn't need any, as the Ollin breakfasts were bountiful and delicious, equal to any other place in town with regards to taste, integrity to authenticity and creativity consistent with Oaxaca's reputation of having the best food in Mexico. Mmmmmmm!! Gracias, Sofi! The fresh fruit followed by a different creation every morning, excellent coffee and hot chocolate - fabulous! I own a bustling cafe in Canada, and appreciate great staff and team players, and the work it takes to build an award winning service offering.... I was easily dazzled by Jon, Judith, and their team of warm, attentive, talented folks. The room was super clean and well stocked - bottled water, lots of towels, etc. The rooms all face an inner courtyard where the pool is... quiet and peaceful at night, yet a quick walk to Oaxaca's main square. We went for our first swim after a day in Monte Alban, and were handed towels as we climbed out - someone just picking up on us not having any with us. Each day was a treat; the most stellar of our experiences was a day trip to Tule, Tlacochahuaya. Mitla, and Yagul. He arranged a guide to take us - a gracious, friendly, intelligent and just plain NICE person, Caesar, to take us. The value add factor can't be exaggerated. Caesar is also a cello teacher and player, and offered to play for us after I told him I once played the violin. He played 3 pieces in an otherwise empty church in Tlacochahuaya. Whew, Beautiful! As well, he shared history and perspectives of each spot and the area in general. Everyone came to wish us off as we left for the airport. We're a well-traveled bunch in my family, and as I worked as a flight attendant for 27 years, I had lots of opportunities to stay in inns and B&B's on holidays in Europe, the UK, Japan, Israel, and Australia. This is a five star one, with owners and operators that rival what has been my top pick for over 20 years. When I return to Oaxaca, I won't be considering staying anywhere else but the Ollin - and I expect next time I should wisely book well in advance. Kudos to Jon and Judith, and THANK YOU for making our experience in Oaxaca so amazing.

• Liked — Warm, welcoming staff, cleanliness, peaceful atmosphere, and great food
  • Stayed May 2007
4 Thank Stewsview
Queretaro, Mexico
Reviewed May 8, 2007

Oaxaca Ollin

I have just returned from a five night stay at Oaxaca Ollin. I would certainly strongly recommend this delightful Bed and Breakfast to anyone wishing to stay in Oaxaca.
I was traveling on my own for the first time, and it really was a home away from home. Judith and Jon are on hand to help with restaurants, trips etc. and have a thorough knowledge of the state. They also have a good library of books about all aspects of Oaxaca.

I wholeheartedly agree with comments from other guests and would like to add that the neighbourhood is very quiet and very safe. I walked in the centre and returned to Casa Ollin late at night by myself and never felt afraid.

I will certainly return to this charming place on my next visit to Oaxaca.

• Liked — Personal attention
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank MexicoChristina
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed May 2, 2007

Casa Ollin captures the flavor of Oaxaca in all aspects: hospitality/decor/cuisine. The rooms are extremely comfortable and charming, the friendly staff happy accomodate, and at the end of a strenuous day, the pool is a welcome refresher. Our hosts, David and Judith, share their recommendations and experiences freely, making our stay several notches above what we would have experienced in one of the more commercial options in town. Don't miss Sophie's breakfasts (unbeatable!) and John's private cask of mescal!

• Liked — Friendly,knowledgeable,hospitable staff - great location - warm and gracious ambience - terrific food
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed May 1, 2007

We stayed at Casa Ollin during Semana Santa and loved every moment in this friendly B&B. It's a quiet haven away from the bustling center of Oaxaca, the rooms are beautiful and very clean and the staff as well as the owners Jon and Judith are exceedingly friendly.

I spent many siesta hours reading house library books on local customs, history, cooking, crafts and art, which made our excursions all the more enjoyable. Our daughter meanwhile enjoyed the pool and the juice that were so kindly served to her when she was drying off.

I know that Casa Ollin breakfasts have been mentioned by many other reviewers and rightly so: they are outstanding and still make me sigh wistfully! Sitting around the table with other guests just added to the pleasure.

I would also like to mention that we (and other guests) received precious help in recuperating our luggage lost by Mexicana.
We hope to visit Oaxaca again soon and would most certainly stay at Casa Ollin again, can't imagine a better place.

All our thanks and best wishes to Jon, Judith and their staff.

• Liked — staff, rooms, breakfast, library and location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family