“Best home stay ever.”
Review of Oaxaca Ollin

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Oaxaca Ollin
Ranked #1 of 127 Oaxaca B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Best home stay ever.”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Summary: Like staying at the home of a well to do and caring friend; will gladly return.

Pro's:
--Immaculate and well kept
--Quiet and safe street
--Excellent wifi on main floor
--Consistently helpful staff
--Firm comfortable beds
--Very good coffee, fresh fruit, pastries and either eggs cooked to order or a breakfast entree daily
--Excellent restaurant suggestions

Cons:
--There is some neighborhood noise
--Wifi was weak in the room. Our hi end laptop was ok, but both phones and tablet could not reliably connect.
--Mexican rolls and pastries for the most part look fantastic but rarely deliver.

For a modest amount of money, to have this incredible hospitality experience, is something to always value. Will gladly return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MRMW_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at Casa Ollin for 6 nights. The staff were fantastic. It's peaceful, with a cute wee pool. They will do anything for you. And Sofia makes a delicious breakfast. It's only a short walk into the centre of Oaxaca. We had such a great time - we loved Oaxaca, and loved Casa Ollin. We'd definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sarah F
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Went with my mother (who's never really been out of the US) in August for 5 days to visit my sister who'd be staying in Oaxaca for the month for school. We were thrilled with our room (we chose the large one with the king, twin and futon). The room and B&B were clean and comfortable. Please don't expect a 5 star resort hotel, authentically decorated, relaxing, comforable B&B. The pool was beautiful but we did not get to use it as we were out and about during the day.

Judith (the owner) was very welcoming and accomodating, and was there to assist with anything we needed. She called cars for us, suggested resturants, and was generally interested in what we were doing and if we were enjoying our time. In fact, one night I wasn't feeling well and couldn't eat dinner, and she was kind enough to call and order food to be delivered for my mother! If Judith was not at the B&B, Lucas or Edmundo were available, and very helpful. Sophia and Clara made awesome breakfasts, and the coffee was great. We also very much enjoyed our tour to Tulle, Mitla and Teotitlan del Valle that Ernesto took us on. I will say while we were on this tour we purchased some traditional hand woven rugs from the Teotitlan, and when I saw very similar ones in stores in the city later, I felt like they were better priced. I cannot be sure that they weren't of inferior quality though, so I'm hoping I actually got a decent deal.

The location of the B&B was ideal as it was near enough to most city sites one would want to see. We did the museum, Santo Domingo church, the Benito Juarez museum, zocalo and many resurants and shops. Outside the city we went to Tulle Mitla, and Teotitlan del Valle one day, and to Monte Alban another day. I wish we were there a bit longer so we could've seen more outside of the city.

The city of Oaxaca is very culturally rich and inspiring - I cannot really explain it, but I really loved it. In fact, I've since enrolled in a Spanish class so when I return, I can be more confiednt speaking with the people there. However, I will say, most of the hotel staff was well versed if not fluent in English, which was very helpful to us also.

Overall, an excellent stay.

Room Tip: We had what I think was the largest room. It was a king with a twin. The only (minor) issue we had...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ralanga
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife, son and I just returned from 12 nights at Oaxaca Ollin and loved it. Judith, Jon and their entire staff really go out of their way to make your stay memorable and comfortable. Breakfasts are fantastic (thanks to the kitchen wizardry of Clara and Sofia); the beds are comfy; the rooms are clean; the living room and covered outdoor lounge are invited and filled with lovely Oaxacan art; and the unheated pool is a nice (though brisk) way to cool off at the end of a day of sightseeing, shopping or hiking. The inn is centrally located in a very safe neighborhood just 2 blocks north of Santo Domingo, on a residential side-street that is remarkably quiet for downtown Oaxaca. Most mornings, I awoke to the sounds of birdsong and church bells. What we liked best, however, was the personalized service we received. Judith and Jon's recommendations for shops, hikes, tours, artisan workshops, and restaurants were dead on: They quickly learned our tastes and budget, and made their suggestions accordingly -- including where and when to bargain with shop owners or artisans, and for how much. Their advice on one item alone saved us about $1400 pesos. Price for all this personalized service? About 15% less than most comparable Oaxaca B&Bs.

Downsides? The TV in the communal living room is minuscule by US standards; the guest rooms, though comfy and clean, aren't lavish; and if you happen to wake early (like I do), you'll have to wait till Sofia and Clara show up around 7:15 for coffee, since there are no serve-yourself coffeemakers in the rooms or communal areas. Also, although there is a rooftop terrace, it's sparsely furnished and not particularly comfortable. (the poolside area and outdoor covered lounge are much much better spaces for gathering and relaxing.)

Jon and Judith have invested their time and money in making their B&B feel like a friend's home, not a fancy hotel. If you need 5-star frills, go elsewhere. If you like attentive, personalized service and great breakfasts in a safe, clean, comfy location - and can live with a tiny TV and no early-morning coffee - then give Oaxaca Ollin a try. You won't regret it.

(FYI: Judith's son Ernesto is a great tour guide for trips into the valley, and his wife Karla holds amazing cooking classes in her home. Be sure to check them both out. Their prices are fair and they are both very good at what they do.)

Room Tip: If you need a little extra space but don't need an entire suite, opt for Room #6, "Calli.&q...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank nationalparkslover
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 12, 2012

great little quaint b&b off the noisy drag of the main city streets of oaxaca. judith and her staff have certainly not forgotten the lost art of service. beautifully tiled mosaic pool of an oasis in the courtyard. definitely recommend!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed here at the beginning of a month's travel through Mexico in July. Jon and Judith were very welcoming and jovial hosts, and our room was a fantastic suite on the first floor, well worth the extra cost. As other people have written the staff go out of their way to ensure you have a wonderful stay and are full of useful local knowledge and tips on where to go and what to do. I liked the communal fridge, on tap clean water, and kettle and my husband appreciated the opportunity to sample Mezcal.
I also really liked the communal table at breakfast as this was an opportunity to meet other travellers from all over the world and swap stores and experiences.
My only critisism is that there is no choice at breakfast and the Mexican style food is beautifully prepared and presented but very rich for our European palette, I got the distinct impression one morning when I asked for a smaller portion that I was insulting the cook, which I didn't mean to do.
Overall this is a very small concern and we had a terrific time at Ollin and Oaxaca was one of our favourite places during our visit to Mexico.

Room Tip: Go for the honeymoon suite , even if like us you have been together a while, it is worth it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Juanitobosque, Owner at Oaxaca Ollin, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Here at Ollin we appreciate your comments and are pleased that your experience with us was a pleasant one. Concerning your comment about breakfast, we discovered a long time ago that the breakfast is very important and individual. Each and every guest is very important to us and we always strive to satisfy the breakfast needs of each of them.
That being said, we are sorry for your preception that there is " no choice at breakfast". We always start the breakfast with fresh fruit, offered with or without yogurt and/or granola. There is fresh juice and a choice between coffee, tea (many types), and/or hot chocolate. There is also a choice of sweet rolls or toast. For the hot meal the guests may choose the specially prepared plate of the day, or, if they would prefer something lighter they can select oatmeal and/or eggs. Most, but not all of the guests decide to select the main dish (many commenting that it is the best meal that they have eaten in Oaxaca). Some guests elect not to eat the main dish, preferring a lighter breakfast--and the cook is never insulted by the choices of the guests. Hopefully these comments clarify our position about our breakfasts.
Ollin Bed and Breakfast
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My friend and I (two single girls) wanted to plan a fun, relaxed vacation for the end of the summer. We picked Oaxaca Mexico because of friends' experiences there--they raved about the art, the weather, the food, and the people. We picked a bed and breakfast because we wanted a more personal experience (and people to take care of two newbies with limited Spanish skills) than we might have at a larger hotel. We got a great price on a beautiful room at Casa Ollin. All of the staff were very kind to us--Edmundo, Ernesto, Clara, etc. And Judith, one of the owners, checked to make sure we were having a good time. Breakfasts were lovely every morning. We also loved lounging by the pool in the afternoons and spent a lot of quality time in the hammock outside our room. There are beautiful flowers, lime and fig trees, and nice sitting areas scattered all over the property. We felt safe and well cared for the entire week. It was a short walk to things to do and see, mostly down a pedestrian-only road in the middle of town. They gave us a city map when we arrived that helped us plan our outings.
John, one of the owners, contacted us before our trip to help us plan our activities (which was very helpful). Our favorites were a half day trip to Monte Alban with a tour guide and a 4-5 hour cooking class with Karla. Highly recommend the cooking class as part of your experience--it started with a trip to the market where Karla knows all the vendors and you get to see many different kinds of foods and sneak a few samples while buying things for the class. Then we spent a few hours cooking up all the food (including peppers stuff with local cheese and spicy grasshoppers!) and then a leisurely feast where we got to learn more about Oaxaca, Mexican culture, etc.
The entire property was very clean, including the pool. Our room was straightened up everyday and linens were changed once during the week. We had no problems with unwanted visitors (bugs etc). It was great to have a safe in the room big enough to store my phone and iPad when we were out. The wireless access worked pretty well the entire time. The drinking water tank in the common area was always filled with cool, clean water, so there were never issues with figuring that part out or having to purchase bottles of water on the street.
The only thing we would change is for the ability to pay the whole bill electronically instead of having to withdraw a large amount of pesos on the last day.

Room Tip: We liked our room--I think it was number 11--plenty of space. We did get some street noise, but ther...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends