“Yes, Oasis on Independencia”
Review of Casa Pereyra Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Casa Pereyra Hotel
Ranked #17 of 126 Oaxaca B&B and Inns
CrN.Y.oghan,
“Yes, Oasis on Independencia”
Reviewed April 2, 2009

A great, away from it all, in just a FEW SHORT blocks from the zocalo.
Inexpensive and charming. Patricia & staff are wonderful. Clean and the Kitchen was a big asset.
Don't miss it for the quiet neighborhood and ease to central city.
Just simply lovely.
Patricia & Robert
Croghan, N.Y.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Diego
Reviewed March 20, 2009

On a Pleasure trip to Oaxaca over Christmas 2008/ New Years 2009 we stayed ast Casa Pereyra for 11 days. The location was excellent, pretty close to the center of Oaxaca City, 3 blocks from the Xocolo.

The problem we had was with the actual room. While it did have a television, we only were able to get 5 channels and they were all in Spanish. The room was dimly lit. The bed was extremely uncomfortable. There were 2 or 3 instances when we shared the room with the local cucarachas and some other tiny insects.

While we enjoyed visiting Oaxaca and surrounding towns, we were always unhappy when we returned to our hotel.

The price was inexpensive and the staff was mostly helpful. They reccomended their favorite restaurants to us (where most likely they
got some sort of kickback) but put down one in particular which turned
out to be one of the best and most popular in town.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Mexico City
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Ok, so I was looking for hotels near downtown, and I found tons of them, but most of them hostels and motels, or obviously some very nice very expensive hotels... Then I found this little hotel on a webpage (don't remember which one) and let me tell you, it's a jewel.

The hotel is 4 blocks from the city centre (Zocalo and Catedral), so you can come and go as you wish, 4 blocks, that's about 450 yards... a par 4.. hehehe (stupid golf remark)... anyway, the convenience of the hotel is great you have everything within a 5 minute walking distance.

The hotel has about 10 rooms, some are small (about 3 of them), some are studios (with a kitchen, a living room, and a bed, divided in two stories), and there's a couple of suites. I stayed in the later and I found everything I need inside the room: a big king size comfortable bed, a clean bathroom with a big shower (a must!!), a TV, a wardrobe (with a light in it, how convenient when you're dressing in the dark :P). Big room, about 500 sq ft., it even had a little garden / patio, which we never used, but it's nice to know you have it.

The staff was great, didn't get to see much of them in visit as I was only at the hotel at night and early morning; but the room was cleaned properly, we were received with a big smile (at 10:00 PM), and if you want there's free coffee every morning at the hotel's main patio.

So, to sum up:

PROS: Very convenient location, clean big rooms, clean big bathrooms, great staff. Price: About 60 USD, if you pay in cash, 65 or so, if you use your credit card.

CONS: No air conditioning. No parking (but then again, very few hotels in Oaxaca, have it). No restaurant service (that I know of).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No air conditioning
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank focculare
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 30, 2005

I heard about this beautifully renovated private home,recently converted into a hotel, from a friend in Oaxaca when my former landlady rented out my apartment from right under me!!! In the end, I was the winner as this the best apartment/hotel for the price that I found in town. The owners spared no expense in revitalizing this colonial building: the kitchens are very functional with a real Mexican flavour, the sitting areas inside were comfortably furnished and the bed linens were luxurious , monogrammed fine cotton. I never was short of hot water, which can be a problem elsewhere. The patio is like an oasis inside the city. It's a great place to kick back after a day of sight-seeing or shopping . Across the street is a typical Mexican market which also has several food stalls for breakfast and lunch. Just a couple of blocks away is a well-stocked supermarket and a couple of blocks the other way is the zocalo ( main plaza) where there are many restaurants, bars, artisan stalls, live music concerts and the cathedral with its magnificent organ.
The hotel has 4 apartments and 4 rooms for rent thus the atmosphere can
be intimate, if you wish. The staff was always ready to help with typical tourist problems, arranging tours of the area, reserving restaurant tables etc. All of the day staff speak English.
My one cpmplaint is that the apartments are 2 stories with the bedroom upstairs and the ventilation is terrible so when the weather is hot ( March onwards) the bedrooms are oven-like and the fans are just not adequate. I must add that the apartments are a bit on the pricey side as it is basically run as a hotel with daily rates.

20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2005

Casa Pereyra is a traditional Oaxacan house, located on Avenida Independencia only three blocks from the main square. Entering the attractive courtyard from the busy street is akin to entering a little oasis.

The house has been lovingly restored by the owner of fifty years. Each room or suite has either a balcony or main level terrace with table and chairs. The rooms are spotlessly clean and tastefully decorated. The spacious two-level suite which my husband and I had for one week in March was comprised of a sitting area and kitchenette on the first level and a bedroom and bath on the second with ample closet space and a desk area.

The location is ideal, with an excellent Spanish language bookstore and internet cafe across the street next to the Basilica de la Soledad. Just down the street are the food market, Gigante grocery store and laundry.

The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and love to chat! Hello Veronica, May and Silvia!

Casa Pereyra may be the best value in Oaxaca.

25 Thank Wanderlust50