“Its best feature is its location”

Hotel Parador San Agustin
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Oaxaca
Austin, TX
“Its best feature is its location”
Reviewed January 16, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a total of 12 nights between 12/20/09 and 1/4/10. When I started planning my trip in September of 2009, I did a lot of research about lodging. Oaxaca City offers a wide range and variety of lodging. Because of the length of my stay, I was looking for something reasonable that would not break my bank account; that meant between 50 and 80 dollars a night. This time of the year is one of the high seasons in Oaxaca. My first choice would have been a B&B. Based on reviews on Tripadvisor.com and other sites, I contacted three B&Bs that were supposed to be very cute and very reasonable. All were already booked for the season. I was overwhelmed by the hotel options. What tipped the scale towards this hotel is that I could reserve online, it was within the price range I was looking for (850 pesos a night), its location, and it got decent reviews. Like all businesses within a several-block radius from the main plaza or zocalo, it’s in an old Colonial renovated building, It’s a small hotel, two stories; rooms open to a small courtyard. It is very clean, though somewhat on the dark side. I had a choice of a room with a window facing the street, but with lots of street noise, or a room in the back with no windows, but much quieter. I chose the back. I could open the door to let in light from the courtyard. The room was large, bigger than our master bedroom at home, high ceiling with three skylights, two double beds, big bathroom with lots of hot water, big closet, rustic wood furniture, cable TV and a big armchair. And of course, wireless connectivity included in the price.
This hotel is nothing fancy. It's not particularly cute, like many others I walked by. It actually is quite devoid of charm, which I didn't think possible for the price and location. At times I wondered if they had purposefully stripped all aspirations to charm. Such lost opportunities. I had breakfast there my first morning there. The food was quite unremarkable, almost to the point of inedible. How could that be possible in such a culinary hot-spot? Thereafter, I walked somewhere else for breakfast. Now, I have to point out that I'm allergic to eggs. It's possible that the egg dishes are quite good.

Another down for this hotel. The front desk personnel were not particularly friendly;, nor seem to go out of their way to assist you. I was somewhat suprised at their indifference towards their guests. I am fluent in Spanish, so it was not a language barrier issue. Even the very nice guide I hired who came to pick me up, commented on the fact that, "Aqui no son muy amables" (They are not very friendly here), after trying to exchange a few pleasantries with the front desk.

However, for the price, it has an excellent location. It is 1 ½ blocks from the zocalo, and within walking distance of all points of interest. It is very clean, and as a woman travelling alone, I felt quite safe. For my next trip to Oaxaca, I will start looking for lodging much earlier.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank texmexicana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed April 22, 2009

What I loved:

-Impeccibly clean.

-Historic. I could feel the colonial vibes when descending the old, stone staircase. I felt the energy of the many people who have used these stairs over the centuries.

-Location-location-location! I couldn't believe we were so close to everything. What a time saver! Eg: my meditation spot St. Agustin church almost next door, an HSBC cash machine across the street, 1 block to the Zocalo, etc. . .but still far enough away from the noise of the Zocalo.

-Small and intimate.

-Food: Full choices of "free-if-you-pay-in-cash" breakfast. . .not just continental. I liked the Oaxacan Breakfast which included fresh fruit, eggs, lime-chile sauce, over tortillas.

Pointer:

-Try to get the suite in the back. Quiet, semi-private courtyard, roomy and romantic. The bathroom and shower are huge. . .and did I say impeccibly clean?

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
7 Thank Cross-Culture-Maven
Köln
Reviewed February 17, 2009

The Parador San Augustin ist in the middle of the historic center. You can walk to a lot of places. There are lot of nice restaurants around the zocalo.
Don't take a room to the street! The noise of the traffic is horrible. Unfortunately the rooms that are not to the street, don't have a window. But you get used to this and will be happy to sleep.
The room is clean and ok.
Don't buy trips at the hotel. It is about twice the price as if you book it at the agency directly.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KatrinSD
Carlisle, PA
Reviewed October 26, 2008

We just returned from Oaxaca, wonderful. We stayed here at the Parador San Agustin for four nights, the room and service were very nice. Your host Ava is a very kind and helpful. The location one block from the Zocalo is good. We had a car and the secure parking proviced was included in the room rate. If I return to Oaxaca I will stay here again. Thanks Ava.

• Liked — Ava
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank Sojourning
Oregon
Reviewed June 24, 2008

This was an absolutely great place to stay. Having travelled extensively, I do not dish out compliments quickly! But, it is in a fabulous location (about a block from the main plaza), has a wonderfully bug free room, excellent service (the concierge was extremely helpful...though, like with anywhere, don't just accept his tour companies as they charge a ton), a yummy breakfast restaurant on the patio, and it all just feels so incredibly Spanish colonial. The downsides? The mattress is hard as a rock (though surprisingly comfortable) and the ceiling fan (only source of cool air) is possessed and makes an incredibly loud racket that transports you back to college when your upstairs neighbours were "exploring" themselves. But, all in all, the stay was wonderful and if I have the chance to return to Oaxaca, this is definitely where I'll stay. And, since it was not during a holiday, we only paid 35$ US for a single room with a king bed.

• Liked — Atnosphere, cleanliness, and price!
  • Disliked — The psychotic ceiling fan.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank braedyn
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed June 3, 2008

We moved there after a bad night closer to the Zocalo. The staff are very kind and helpful and reserved. We stayed upstairs on the back courtyard, which was very quiet. The room was large, nice looking, and spotless and the bathroom was excellent. We liked the breakfast and the location. As with all hotels in Oaxaca, the front rooms over the street are appealing but if you don't like street noise, you're better off further back in the building. All in all, this was exactly the sort of place we hoped for.

Stayed May 2008
2 Thank cantrabrigian50
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 4, 2005

Wonderful little hotel located a block and a half from the Zocalo. Nice little restaurant for breakfast, clean rooms, helpful staff. My only complaint - the pillows were like rocks. They have a good deal - if you pay your hotel bill with cash, the breakfasts are free - we ate like crazy - fresh fruits, typical oaxacan dishes - and the cash machine is just across the street. We took a chance with this hotel - did not find it reviewed anywhere - and were pleasantly surprised with this small and cozy establishment - classical Mexican, center courtyard former home refurbished into a hotel.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member