“Awesome social hostel”

Hostal Pochon
Hostal Pochon
Ranked #16 of 122 Specialty Lodging in Oaxaca
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I've had a couple of great nights at this hostel. The friendliest staff i've ever had. they really will help yo with everything. Also the breakfast is great (freshly cooked every morning) and i've met a lot of really nice people in the common areas.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed 4 nights in the private room with private bathroom. We really enjoyed our stay and loved the city! The room was very large with a private terrace in the back. The bed was a king size made out of two twin beds and wasn't the most comfortable, but not too bad. Clean rooms and towels. We had a very nice occelating fan that kept the room very cool and comfortable. We received excellent wifi reception in the room which I realized later in my travels isn't always the case when "free wifi" is advertised. Staff was very friendly. Most didn't speak English THAT well but that's okay, with their limited English and my limited Spanish we were able to communicate just fine :) The hostel made it very easy to book outings and transportation. The tour to El Tule, Zapatec rug weaving workshop, Mitla, Hierve el Agua and a Mezcal distillery was very reasonably priced, they picked us up right at the hostel and we really enjoyed the all day trip! We took the cooking class offered at the hostel and really enjoyed it! All the other classes in town averaged $75 US and this one was only about $25 and really great! We made 3 main dishes, guacamole, tortillas and horchata- a ton of food and really fun! We also booked our Collectivo to Puerto Escondido which picked us up at the hostel and was cheaper and quicker than the bus. Very convenient! Definitely recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed for a couple of nights in the private room with shared bathroom. The room itself was very good: reasonably sized, comfy and clean bed, clean towels, a good fan, shelves and a small table with 2 chairs.
The female bathroom is not very private and has only 2 showers and 2 toilets for everyone to share. The hostel wasn't full when I stayed so I didn't have to wait for my turn, but I believe this can be a problem in the high season. Hot water doesn't work very well (I visited several cities in Mexico and the hot water didn't work well in most of them). However, showers and bathrooms were very clean.
The breakfast was great and the location isn't bad (10 minute walk to the main square).
They don't accept credit cards and charge a small fee to keep your luggage there after the check out. On the good side, the fee allows you to use the shower and the common areas. It's very hot in Oaxaca, so it was great to be able to take a shower after a long day under the sun.
Overall, a good place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Definitely did not fall in love with this hostel while staying here for 5 nights in January 2013. We stayed in a private double with shared bathroom. The room was clean, although it was right next to the main road and quite loud in early (7am) morning.

Bathrooms were fine for my tastes.

Breakfast was very good, a real highlight getting to start the day with a hot omelette or crepe.

hang out area was pretty good. All open air and a nice vibe although pretty quiet.

Location is fine. 5-7 minute walk to center and very safe.

Overall a decent choice, just don't choose the double room at the top of the stairs if you want to sleep in...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MicahJorrisch
Reviewed February 7, 2013

All week that I stayed here there was a very uncomfortable, melancholy vibe hanging over the place. I couldn't put my finger on it... Here are some specifics I can speak to:
My single room was very nice - no complaints at all.
The bathrooms were pretty gnarly. Not dirty per se, but the bathrooms could have had more privacy.
The staff is ok, some were great, and some were rude.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

I have to agree with most that the bathroom isnt private. If you wake up at about 9am and need to poop...everyone is there eatig there breakfast just outside...you might as well leave the door open because they can hear everything you do!
Theres also not really enough room to get changed etc in the bathroom.
And they do charge you 25 pesos extra after u check out if you want to take a shower later in the day. But they hold bags free, and I sat in the common area no problem until my bus left at midnight.
But ive stayed a few times and always I meet intereting people- everytime. People from Germany, Mexico, Argentina, Canada, Australia, USA, Holland. Always interesting conversations- not just people getting drunk.
The common area is great for interaction- tables, comfy couch, TV with cable and DVDs, computers.
The dorm is 125 pesos and you get a great breakfast which would cost you at least 40-50 on the street.
Most days it was a omlette with 2 eggs, ham and cheese. Served with 2 slices bread, sliced tomatoe and beans. Then a little bowl of fruit with as much jelly/jello you want. And tea and coffee. Then I wouldnt eat again until about 4pm.
Its a nice little place to stay in Oaxaca.
Not too many hostels give you that type of breakfast or feeling of having good conversations in Mexico.
But be warned- if you have diahrea it will be a bad experience!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I usually try ignore the one star reviews, don't for this place, it's terrible.

There are so many other options in Oaxaca. One toilet and one shower for all to share. Very noisy and uncomfortable. Also take note that many of the 5 star reviews of this place are in Spanish, a bit sus.
They charged me my deposit before I got there and again when I got there, I was too tired to realise.

If you're an idiot that likes to be drunk all the time you'll probably love this place.

• Stayed: October 2012