Hotel CasAntica
  • Breakfast included
Casa Oaxaca(Oaxaca)
Hotel Abu(Oaxaca)
  • Restaurant
All reviewspresidential suiterooms are a bit smallinternet worked fineswimming poolsame blockla catedralordered coffeedelightful hotelquiet spaceconverted conventwould stay here againbreakfast was includedoaxaca citywalking distance from everythingarranging toursfluent in englishoverlooking the courtyard
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The hotel has 2 patio's. Best to stay in the 2nd, around the pool. In the 1st patio there are sometimes events (a wedding, an art exhibition) - but they are finished at 22u00. Good restaurant, nice to have dinner and breakfast at the 1st patio. Location is perfect. To the left is the carfree zone around the StDomingochurch, to the right is the zocalo (incredible nice play to hang around, Oaxacans seem to dance a lot) and the markets.

Room Tip: Stay at the 2nd patio
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Davy S
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Don't be mislead by the photos on tripadvisor. We thought we had a great deal and what we had was a very small and dark room. Bed and pillows really uncomfortable and very bad quality in the bed linens. There are better options with better prices.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Rodrigohuerta
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We were very pleased with our stay at CasAntica in Oaxaca. We decided to take a short family vacation with our 2 kids; 17 and 6 years old. We found the hotel location ideal for daily walks to the lively Zocalo and appreciated the Reception Desk's interest in helping with travel plans for daily outings (to find black pottery and wool rugs).

CasAntica was also a great deal for us with very reasonable prices for a family of 4 (1 King and 2 twin beds) and the added bonus of daily vouchers for breakfast. The facility is beautiful and although they do not have a hot tub, the small pool was very pleasant! The only draw backs were: there were 2 TVs in the room that were too close without any barrier to avoid the overlap of sound, the beds were "ok" and a room by the street can get pretty noisy at night with foot/vehicle traffic.

Overall, we rate the hotel as great - we highly recommend it. The service was amazing and the location/price seals the deal! Safe and happy travels

Room Tip: For a family go with the larger toom (not much more expensive) however be prepared for foot/vehicle traffic at night.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

Great staff, including English speaking. Lovely town. Good hotel location. Air conditioned rooms. Covered group setting area. Supermarket & laundry close. Brilliant. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I am happy to recommend CasAntica for anyone considering a safe, beautiful and centrally-located stay in Oaxaca. I have already made my sale "pitch" to everyone I've talked to upon returning last night and am planning on returning with other members of my family.

Background:
We were two travelers coming in from San Antonio, Texas. We stayed in CasAntica for 4 nights and our purpose for visiting Oaxaca city was to see the pre-historic sites, the markets and city-center. Our expectations of the hotel was simple: a clean, quiet room in a safe, centrally-located place where we could walk every where we needed to go. Those expectations were more than met.

1.) As many hotels in the city's historic center, CasAntica is a former convent and as such, still preserves the decor. You will see an old sewing machine, a piano and great paintings (or replicas of) scattered throughout the hotel. There is a heated pool which will come in handy after your long walks and explorations to Monte Alban, Mitla, Yagul, Hierve el Agua or simply the city's historical center.

2.) CasAntica's restaurant is "El Pombo" and features all the traditional foods of Oaxaca--I had the traditional mole tamales, caldo tlalpeno and the rajas con queso which were outstanding! For breakfast, I had the green chilaquiles which I highly recommend to anyone who loves chilaquiles, mexican breakfasts or just savory food all together. The salsa is not spicy at all, for those of you who aren't as adventurous with this kind of cuisine. If you do love spicy food--like me!-- there are spicy options to choose from. We primarily had breakfast there, and dined twice, but it was above my expectations.

3.) Think of the hotel room like a bedroom, equipped with 2 full-sized beds, a medium-sized tube TV, an AC unit, and a small but sufficient wardrobe-- I hung 2 dresses, 2 jackets and my bags and still had hangers to spare. I also put my small suitcase in there to save space, as I had to consider my travel mate's stuff too. We organized quickly and made do with the space and were just fine. It was very clean, we never saw bugs and we slept very comfortably in CLEAN sheets and pillows. The room service did it's job--clean sheets, dumped trash cans and clean, replenished bathrooms each day. (No idea what else you could need or could expect.)

A note on noise: We did not experience noisy neighbors or late-night parties. The AC unit is a little noisy if you're not used sleeping with one (I am, as I live in a tiny studio apartment in the middle of an urban US city on the East Coast, and it was actually more quiet than the one back home, ha!). In the morning I could hear the fruit vendors and presumably the garbage collectors proceeding with their business, which depending on your tolerance level, may be annoying. I really didn't mind and I needed to be up by that point anyway.

The bathroom is small but please, it's not tiny. I've stayed in many a hostel in Europe and those take the cake when we say "small." The shower in our room was actually on the large side and the rest was sufficient for all your needs.

4.) 5 stars for service. From the front desk clerks to the restaurant staff, everyone was on point and asked if we needed anything. I've been lucky to experience this kind of service in 5-star resorts in Mexican beaches (acapulco, puerto/nuevo vallarta, cancun, huatulco aka where you'd expect it) but it really says something when you have this level of attention at a reasonably priced place in Oaxaca city. Strike a conversation with your servers--esp. Samuel!-- and you'll see how great they are at recommending places to see, other places to eat and overall just making friendly conversation with you. (A lot of them speak minimal but sufficient English and are happy to practice with you.) This is the sort of stuff that goes a long way.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or recommend my friends and family to stay here. For the price, you cannot beat the service and the ambience!

(Con mucho gusto me volviera a quedar aqui. Soy originaria de Hermosillo, Sonora y vivo en Tejas. Si tienen alguna pregunta sobre el hotel, con gusto elaboro sobre mi estancia.)

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner room on the 2nd floor and had no troubles with air circulation or air conditioning. There is unit noise but frankly after days of hiking and wandering, I was too tired to care for it. I slept like a baby and contrary to what I've read, I did not find the beds or pillows uncomfortable. If you rely on luxury quilted pillows and a high-count egyptian cotton sheets for comfort, book another place ;)
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family