“A Hidden Gem”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Unassuming from the street, Gourmand is Oaxaca's hidden gem. My partner and I eat here on a regular basis, always opting for the delicious home made salchichas accompanied with one of the many international boutique beers. The staff here are gorgeous, kind, attentive and prompt and make us feel welcome everytime we visit. The little jars of mountain tea are incredible and go really well with a slice of the peacan pie. Yum!

1  Thank claire d

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The food was bland and uninteresting. Both my companion, a bit less experimental than I, and I remarked that our "owner picked" meal was a big disappointment. The recommendation of a gringo living in Mexico brought us here. I asked the owner to pick the best he considered from his menu for us to try. For what we paid, 385 pesos for two sandwiches, two big beers,and a mineral water, we agreed-never here again. The microbrew beer selection was the single highlight of the visit. One of the best Porters I've had, Hecho en Mexico too! The decor is stylish new youth oriented and simple but tasteful. Mostly younger Mexicans here. Not us, ever again!

Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

We ate here for an early lunch. Plenty of good options. Sandwiches were large and fresh, the meat was cut and sandwiches made right in front of us. Side salads were nice, room was great. Lots of beer options and fresh coffee in a French press. I wish we had more time in Oaxaca so that we could have bought some of the homemade pickled vegetables and jams.

1  Thank deathhat
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have been to Gourmand several times and have become acquainted with the owners during my two lengthy stays in Oaxaca. This deli is a great break from traditional Oaxacan food while still being something I couldn't find at home. They combine typical American deli foods with Mexican wines and craft beers - they offer Reuben sandwiches, bagels, potato salad, carrot cake, and all the bread is made in house.

1  Thank Michelle G
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The good reviews I have read of this restaurant are right on track so I do not have much to add. However, I would say that the best thing about the Gourmand is that it offers a welcomed change from the usual (and wonderful) Oaxacan fare! While certainly not a New York or even midwestern reuben, the sandwich and potato salad on the side were great! It was, as noted by another reviewer, more pricey than most lunches in Oaxaca.

1  Thank OaxVol