“Great Location”

Cielo Rojo Hostel, Oaxaca
Ranked #25 of 117 Specialty Lodging in Oaxaca
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at this hostel with my partner in a private room. The rooms were simple, but it was really all we needed while we were there. The owners/staff were very friendly and reccomended places to go and even took a group of us out. They facilitated a friendly atmosphere and everyone in the hostel got together for drinks out at some less touristy places. Definitely worth checking out.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Cielo Rojo Hostel, Oaxaca

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I could only stay at the hostel for two nights due to work. However that was enough time for me to realize the service is percent, the place is really comfortable and the air smells to relaxation. Wanna chill out?? This is the right place to go :D

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I ended up in this Hostel thanks to good reviews it has. In my opinion this was o.k. hostel, but nothing spectacular. It was difficult to sleep before midnight since soundproofing was very poor while some clients were fairly loud. Toilets were were bit run-down. On a positive note, location is good and staff is very friendly. Breakfast was simple, typical to other hostels (bread, corn flakes, fruits).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank posi5
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I was supposed to stay a day or two after two months of traveling thru Mexico but ended up staying a week and a half. A really good breakfast, great coffee, good kitchen facilities, and some really nice guys own and run this place, and really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.....Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank barty1013
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at the Cielo Rojo in August, a few weeks after they opened. In addition to traditional hostile-style bunkbeds, they also offer private rooms. I stayed in a huge, immaculately clean private room with ensuite bathroom that was very quiet and comfortable. This made it perfect for me as a solo female traveler because I had the security and privacy of a hotel room all while getting to enjoy the social atmosphere of a hostile environment. During my stay I met most of the other guests (from all over the world) at breakfast, which is nutritious and plentiful. Hosts Efrain and Mauricio were gracious, knowledgeable, and incredibly helpful. I had a problem with my bank back in the U.S. and they bent over backwards to help me straighten it out in no time. I am well traveled and tend to shy away from goofy-gringo outtings, but they set me up on a wonderful half-day tour that was economical and the highlight of my trip. I will definitely stay here again on my next visit to Oaxaca.

Room Tip: private room with ensuite bathroom is a steal.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Prentice411
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The staff are extremely friendly and will go out of their way to help you. The Day of the Dead festival meant the hostel was fully booked and we were a little silly in not prebooking....the staff did everything they could to help us out and were very kind in doing so.
Key points:
*Wifi is everywhere (can be weak sometimes, depending where you are - same in all places)
*Hot showers and clean bathrooms! (It can take a while for the water to get hot though!)
*Breakfast is included (bread/toast, coffee, yoghurt, fruit, granola - help yourself style!)
*Kitchen - hobs only with pans (would recommend getting a couple more pans and maybe a microwave)
*Linen was basic but good - towels are NOT provided
*Beds were a little uncomfortable but OK
*Rooms at the front can be a little noisy due to traffic etc
*Pool table - not something you get in most places.
*One PC for internet
The general atmosphere was great! I would recommend they start a book exchange as a plus!

Thanks for a wonderful stay. You guys were fantastic hosts!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Guess it is my first review in Trip Advisor. But really worth it!

This hostel was an welcome surprise during my stay in Oaxaca: not only due to the staff (so helpful and kind in every single moment we needed them) as the hostel itself: clean, safe, well located (just a few blocks from Zocalo).

Guess the staff makes all the difference: we feel welcome, and maybe that`s why the atmosphere were so cool.

Don`t know yet if I will be back in Oaxaca next year. But if I do, would stay there again. No doubt about that.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo