“Like Noise? Stay here”

Ranked #21 of 113 Hotels in Oaxaca
Sacramento, California, USA
“Like Noise? Stay here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Just finished two sleepless nights here compounded by indifferent service. Avoid room 1 like the plague. Not only do you get street noise, you get to hear everything that goes on at the reception desk, the ring if the entry bell at all hours, and the staff chatter at 5 am from the much-acclaimed roof (the bathroom has an opening to the roof that can't be shut). When I asked for one of their advertised white noise machines they said they didn't have any left to use. Apparently I wasn't the only one bothered. Oh and the note from the manager here that they don't allow small children is false. I saw (and heard) two under 4 as well.

If thats not bad enough, When I checked in, I barely got a welcome. When I checked out, the reception desk staff wrote out the bill and then didnt look up when finished. I had to ask if there was anything else. She said no and returned to her desk without a simple thank you or have a nice trip.

The stay here was a marked contrast to my other stays in Oaxaca, a city with friendly locals who appreciate their guests.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Vesparado
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
We very much regret your view of our hotel, Vesperado. We appreciate your mention of problems you encountered, but are sorry that you didn’t point them out during your visit so we could attend to them as quickly as possible.
We continue to have a policy of only accepting children 6 years or older. At the time of your stay we did have 2 younger children visit for about an hour with their grandparents during breakfast one morning. We don’t have 2 staff on until later in the morning, so I’m not sure what you heard at 5 am.
We are always pleased to welcome our guests; it’s our chance to make sure they know that we are available to help them enjoy their stay. We always explain to guests the list of hotel services available (as well as giving them a list that they take to their rooms), maps of the city and region, a list of recommended restaurants and information sheets on local transportation and guide services.
The hotel is in what was once a large family home. Restored to its colonial charm, updated for comfort – but still mostly of the traditional materials – adobe, clay brick and tile. We’ve added sound-proofing doors/windows across the front. We’re located on a side street that is quieter than the main city streets, but is still full of all the sounds of a busy residential neighborhood. This hotel has delighted thousands of guests, is one of the top-ranked hotels in Oaxaca on tripadvisor, but is probably not appropriate for the most sound-sensitive.
The morning after Vesperado left the hotel the guest who had just spent a night in the same room happened to mention, spontaneously, that she’d “had a great sleep”! The hotel works wonderfully for lots of people.
Saludos cordials, Donna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Culpeper
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I enjoyed my 9 days stay at this hotel. I give this hotel 5 stars for their customer service. My mornings were spent eating breakfast at the rooftop. I especially give thanks to Donna, Daniela and Ale for making me feel welcome. As a Deaf person who has traveled to far away places like Korea, Japan, etc, I felt very safe but I can't say much about the noise level but this place is not carpeted and it has ceramic floors. The rooms are small but very comfortable and clean. It was fun to go shopping to El Mercado Central de Abasto with Donna and her staff to buy decorations for the Day of the Dead altar and helping them decorate it. This hotel is near restaurants and museums and everyday I would step out to the streets in search of a new place to eat. I walked most of the time.. I hope to come back to visit again in a year or 2.

James

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hi JTR!
It was a real pleasure to have you with us!
Thanks especially for mentioning our customer service…we want our guests to feel comfortable here, and to help them with whatever they need to go out and SEE the city.
We’d love to see you again, Donna, Ale, Daniela & the rest of the staff of Hotel Azucenas
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Hotel Azucenas is a small boutique hotel in Oaxaca. Its best feature is the rooftop garden with self serve bar including a delicious home made mezcal and an amazing view. The rooms are small and nothing special but the hotel itself has great concierge service and a great price. It is 4 blocks from the pedestrian area near Santo Domingo and 8 blocks from the zocolo. Kind of far to walk more than once a day. Uphill the last 2. A taxi is cheap but with traffic, slower than walking. I walked down, taxied back. All of Oaxaca centro is noisy so that is in all but the big hotels. I skipped the breakfasts, just took coffee on the rooftop. If you like small hotels with a local feel, you will do well.

Room Tip: room 10 is right on the roof top but is extra. Patio rooms may be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zydecoal
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Hi zydecoal!
Thanks for recognizing our “concierge service”!! We don’t just hand you a map, but can explain the various ways to get around the city and the region, help you make reservations for or figure out where to catch buses, suggest sites that aren’t in the guide books, point out new restaurants…or just help you find something special you’re looking for. We know you want to explore and… We try to help you SEE Oaxaca!
And thanks for mentioning our delicious mescal – the perfect drink to accompany the fabulous view from our Rooftop Terrace!
Saludos, Donna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed during busy period of Day of the Dead. Donna, the Canadian-born owner, invited the guests to go shopping with her at the local market to buy supplies for the hotel's Day of the Dead altar. Guests were invited in advance to bring photos of their departed loved ones to add to the altar.

The hotel has comfortable rooms with excellent beds. The staff is attentive and helpful. Location is within easy walking distance of the zocalo. Excellent breakfasts and good value.

• Stayed November 2012
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thanks for writing, Lawrence!
And for participating in the building of our hotel altar for the Days of the Dead. We’ve had guests from all over the world help us each year, and post photos of those they’ve lost… It’s a wonderful and meaningful ceremony that lets one remember with affection, and a smile.
It sounds like you liked everything else about the hotel, too…so muchas gracias! Donna
Norman, Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I want to start off by saying that I did a great deal of research on Oaxaca and where to stay. And after reading all the great reviews about Hotel Azucenas, I was looking forward to a great stay. Unfortunately, the hotel left a lot to be desired.

CONS:

The acoustics in this place are AWFUL!! And given that it is an older property, there is obviosly no noise insulation. My friend and I stayed in room 6, directly below the breafkfast area and had a very hard time with all the noise at night and early morning.

Every night (around 11pm) the staff goes upstairs to tidy up and close up the terrace and the footsteps sound extremely loud on the tiles. There is also a great deal of banging and clanking that goes on. Then in the morning, around 5 or 6 am, the staff go upstairs to set up the breakfast and there are not only loud footsteps, but also the faucet being turned on and off as well as clanking and banging. It was so bad the first morning that we had to let the staff know. The next few days were a lttle better but still noisy. This was the only thing we brought to their attention.

Also, the hotel is located on a pretty busy street and across from a school which plays loud music in the morning as the students are arriving.

The staff also water the courtyard plants late at night (around11pm), so you can hear the clamoring of the buckets. The utility closet/washroom where they fill the buckets was, with our luck, directly across from our room, and so it sounded like they were filling the buckets IN our room.

The hotel is so small that when people are talking in the courtyard, it sounds like they are in your room. Also, you can hear coversations and music from other rooms, especially in the stillness of the night.

My friend and i found the front desk staff to be somewhat passive-aggressive and aloof. It was hard to put our finger on what the issue was with them...they were pleasant (not friendly) towards us, but its like they didnt really want to deal with us. We prefered to deal with the cleaning staff, who were very sweet and friendly.

We also felt that the breakfast policy of notifying them the night before is much too strict. One morning, we thought we would have time to go eat a full breakfast in town before heading out on a tour, however the tour company called at the last minute and said that we needed to meet up with them earlier then we had planned, leaving us with very little time to have breakfast. So we explained the situation to the staff and asked them if the 2 of us could partake in the hotel's continental breakfast eventhough we had not signed up the night before. They said no because there is only a limited amount of bread ordered, however they did say we could have coffee. Again, we explained our situation and asked if they could make an exception given the circumstances, but they would not budge. Thank goodness i had brought some granola bars from home with me...so my friend and I ended up having just a granola bar and some coffee. But we did notice that there was plenty of food for us to have had some as well.

PROS:

Very charming property and very well taken care of; clean rooms; great water pressure; good price; very sweet cleaning staff.

Anyhow, needless to say, we won't be staying here again, nor would I ever recommend it to anyone. Very unfortunate since I really wanted to like this place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank viajerabohemia
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Hi Viajerabohemia – thank you for taking the time to write and pass along your comments. And for your compliments about our exceedingly clean and charming property.

We’re very sorry that the hotel didn’t suit you, as it obviously has been a delight to many others.

Mexico is a noisy place, and Mexican’s don’t even hear a lot of what we would call loud or noise. Buildings in Oaxaca are built of adobe brick, clay brick and concrete – sound insulation is almost unheard of…and there are no city bylaws against sound.

That said, we are situated on a residential, one lane side street – but in an urban center. We’ve installed secondary sound-proofing doors on new windows, and those on exterior rooms. We’re across the street from a primary school – kids 5 – 12 years old. They start the day by singing the national anthem, hearing announcements and sometimes marching around their interior courtyard. Many guests have mentioned that they especially enjoy waking up to them in the morning (and watching them from our terrace).

This is a small house, and we try to do everything possible to keep the noise from necessary house-keeping and food-preparation out of the way of guests, and to a minimum – especially when guests might be resting. Unfortunately, during your stay we had a brand new night receptionist – who came to his first job “dressed to the nines”, including hard-soled dress shoes - and we didn’t realize it. We apologize; he now wears sneakers. We do provide earplugs and even “white noise machines” for those who are more sound-sensitive!

Our breakfast is made up of breads that are baked fresh that morning and purchased directly from the baker (as he goes by on his bicycle, on the way to the market) and freshly made cheeses…among other items. We ask guests to sign up for breakfast the night before so that we can buy exactly what we will need…the food being prepared at 7 am has been promised to those who will be wandering over for breakfast a little later.

We strive to have the friendliest and most helpful staff in Oaxaca…you caught us on a weekend with an emergency replacement receptionist who did three shifts almost back-to-back (2 of ours were called out, all of a sudden). We’re little, and on the rare occasion, we’re caught short.

We hope you enjoyed the city in general…saludos desde Oaxaca, Donna
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I spent a wonderful week in October at the charming Hotel Azucenas. I had stayed at the hotel on two previous occasions, with a friend, but this time I was traveling alone. Oaxaca and the hotel did not disappoint!

Oaxaca is an historical city with much to interest the traveller: beautifully restored churches, museums, galleries, ancient Zapotec ruins and interesting villages outside the city, great restaurants, the Zocalo, and much more.

Oaxaca is SAFE, the people are friendly and I wandered the streets to discover the many delights of this lovely city. A visit during the Day of the Dead festivities is special, but a visit anytime is worthwhile. Sadly tourist numbers have decreased most probably because of adverse comments in the press about security in Mexico, but in reality I saw absolutely no risk at all, and felt very safe and secure during the entire time I was in Oaxaca.

If you are thinking about a visit....don't hesitate...just go! You will not regret it.

The hotel is a great place to stay. Just 10 rooms and very personal service. It is located within walking distance of everything, has a lovely roof top terrace, perfect for breakfast and for a drink or two in the evenings. Donna and her staff are wonderful. They are always ready with a friendly smile, helpful information and advice and will gladly arrange tours, restaurant bookings, a massage or temascal, or whatever takes a your fancy.

I had a superb massage which Donna organized. The masseuse arrived complete with folding massage table, and her magic fingers. Without a doubt one of the best massages I've had, and I've had many!

I celebrated my birthday in Oaxaca, and had a fabulous surprise. My daughter, who lives in Australia, contacted Donna by email, without my knowledge, to ask her for suggestions for my birthday. It was decided that a Mexican Mariachi serenade was the go. Donna arranged for a Mariachi Band to come to the hotel at 8 pm that evening to sing Happy Birthday. Seven very accomplished musicians who were all characters, entertained us for an hour. A very memorable birthday, and all due to efforts of Donna.

Thank you to Donna, Ali, Gordon and all the wonderful staff at the Azucenas.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank RosSydney_Australia
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Hi RosSydney,
Thanks for all the compliments on our rooms, rooftop terrace, staff and personal service!
We strive to help you make your visit an absolute treat – just ask us for massages, temazcales (traditional Zapotec-style herbal steam baths, often with a massage) – and also great manicures, pedicures…the works!
And we’re always glad to help you do something special during your time here: for your visit it was a mariachi band…and tomorrow we’re hosting a couple who will have a Zapotec-style “renewal of vows”, with traditional music, on our rooftop.

Thanks for visiting, and returning – we’re always glad to see you! Donna
Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed in the Azucenas for four nights in Sept and we were very happy with our choice of hotel. As others have noted there are many options for the traveller in Oaxaca and we think it would be hard to find a better combination of value, location, cleanliness, decor, convenience and comfort than we enjoyed here. We did ask for room 10 and we would recommend this to others- the extra price is justified by the windows and access to the restful shady balcony. The breakfasts are fine but we generally preferred the street vendors. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The honesty bar on the balcony is an excellent idea and should be used more often by other small hotels. The only issue we had was of no fault of the hotel and that was the occassional barking dogs in the neighborhood- easily solved by a combination of mescal and ear plugs! We would recommend this hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mahitian
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Hi Mahitian - sorry to have missed your visit to the hotel, I just arrived from Canada a couple of days ago. Although I'm not at the hotel all of the time, I am in daily contact by phone, email and skype...so I never feel far away...
Our all-day free coffee and teas, breakfast buffet and honesty bar are here for when you want them... The coffee is waiting when you get up, the breakfast buffet gives you a choice of something light (a little hard to find in Mexico) - or not so light, and you never know when you might want a beer or soft drink. We also sell EXCELLENT premium mezcal at a great price.
Unfortunately, barking dogs are sometimes a fact of life in Mexico...and Mexicans are relatively immune to noise. So we do supply earplugs for those who want them! The good news is that one of the city's first free animal sterilization programs is run by a wonderful neighbor...and we contribute.
Thanks for all your compliments and your recommendation...we hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels. Donna