“Hotel Azucenas, beautiful Oaxaca and Mariachi!! Perfecto!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Azucenas

Hotel Azucenas
Ranked #21 of 113 Hotels in Oaxaca
Sydney, Australia
“Hotel Azucenas, beautiful Oaxaca and Mariachi!! Perfecto!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I spent a wonderful week in October at the charming Hotel Azucenas. I had stayed at the hotel on two previous occasions, with a friend, but this time I was traveling alone. Oaxaca and the hotel did not disappoint!

Oaxaca is an historical city with much to interest the traveller: beautifully restored churches, museums, galleries, ancient Zapotec ruins and interesting villages outside the city, great restaurants, the Zocalo, and much more.

Oaxaca is SAFE, the people are friendly and I wandered the streets to discover the many delights of this lovely city. A visit during the Day of the Dead festivities is special, but a visit anytime is worthwhile. Sadly tourist numbers have decreased most probably because of adverse comments in the press about security in Mexico, but in reality I saw absolutely no risk at all, and felt very safe and secure during the entire time I was in Oaxaca.

If you are thinking about a visit....don't hesitate...just go! You will not regret it.

The hotel is a great place to stay. Just 10 rooms and very personal service. It is located within walking distance of everything, has a lovely roof top terrace, perfect for breakfast and for a drink or two in the evenings. Donna and her staff are wonderful. They are always ready with a friendly smile, helpful information and advice and will gladly arrange tours, restaurant bookings, a massage or temascal, or whatever takes a your fancy.

I had a superb massage which Donna organized. The masseuse arrived complete with folding massage table, and her magic fingers. Without a doubt one of the best massages I've had, and I've had many!

I celebrated my birthday in Oaxaca, and had a fabulous surprise. My daughter, who lives in Australia, contacted Donna by email, without my knowledge, to ask her for suggestions for my birthday. It was decided that a Mexican Mariachi serenade was the go. Donna arranged for a Mariachi Band to come to the hotel at 8 pm that evening to sing Happy Birthday. Seven very accomplished musicians who were all characters, entertained us for an hour. A very memorable birthday, and all due to efforts of Donna.

Thank you to Donna, Ali, Gordon and all the wonderful staff at the Azucenas.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank RosSydney_Australia
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Hi RosSydney,
Thanks for all the compliments on our rooms, rooftop terrace, staff and personal service!
We strive to help you make your visit an absolute treat – just ask us for massages, temazcales (traditional Zapotec-style herbal steam baths, often with a massage) – and also great manicures, pedicures…the works!
And we’re always glad to help you do something special during your time here: for your visit it was a mariachi band…and tomorrow we’re hosting a couple who will have a Zapotec-style “renewal of vows”, with traditional music, on our rooftop.

Thanks for visiting, and returning – we’re always glad to see you! Donna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed in the Azucenas for four nights in Sept and we were very happy with our choice of hotel. As others have noted there are many options for the traveller in Oaxaca and we think it would be hard to find a better combination of value, location, cleanliness, decor, convenience and comfort than we enjoyed here. We did ask for room 10 and we would recommend this to others- the extra price is justified by the windows and access to the restful shady balcony. The breakfasts are fine but we generally preferred the street vendors. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The honesty bar on the balcony is an excellent idea and should be used more often by other small hotels. The only issue we had was of no fault of the hotel and that was the occassional barking dogs in the neighborhood- easily solved by a combination of mescal and ear plugs! We would recommend this hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mahitian
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Hi Mahitian - sorry to have missed your visit to the hotel, I just arrived from Canada a couple of days ago. Although I'm not at the hotel all of the time, I am in daily contact by phone, email and skype...so I never feel far away...
Our all-day free coffee and teas, breakfast buffet and honesty bar are here for when you want them... The coffee is waiting when you get up, the breakfast buffet gives you a choice of something light (a little hard to find in Mexico) - or not so light, and you never know when you might want a beer or soft drink. We also sell EXCELLENT premium mezcal at a great price.
Unfortunately, barking dogs are sometimes a fact of life in Mexico...and Mexicans are relatively immune to noise. So we do supply earplugs for those who want them! The good news is that one of the city's first free animal sterilization programs is run by a wonderful neighbor...and we contribute.
Thanks for all your compliments and your recommendation...we hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels. Donna
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed for a week and enjoyed the location, the helpful staff, the rooftop garden with a wonderful view and granola for breakfast. You certainly can't beat the value. Our room was small but comfortable and very clean. The bathroom was also clean and the water supply always great. Even the distance to the Zocalo was perfect. Once small nitpick was the person smoking in the downstairs courtyard. If you're going to allow any smoking , at least make them go to the rooftop.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Hi Ginger!
Thanks for mentioning our wonderful staff ,the great view from our rooftop garden...and OUR GRANOLA (made locally, sold in a nearby market and possibly the best you'll ever have).
I've traveled a lot over the years, and tried to incorporate EVERYTHING an independent traveler would want in a hotel small enough that you could actually meet other travelers and get to know the staff a bit.
Your comment on smoking was helpful - we re-posted the sign in our office (just to remind all staff that smoking is ONLY allowed in the open air of our terrace).
Saludos from Donna and the staff @ Hotel Azucenas
Tavistock, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Pros:
We wanted for nothing...They leant us hats when it was sunny and umbrellas when it rained!
Very clean and tidy.
It has a beautiful roof terrace, overlooking the city.
Great honesty bar.

Cons:
Very hard to think of any for the money you pay. Great value.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Room 9 is the best. Your door opens to a rooftop view. Some of the rooms can be a little dark, so...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Hi Bingo Steve - WE LOVE GUESTS LIKE YOU!!

I apologize for not answering more quickly...you caught me at the beginning of my annual migration from one of my homes - in Kingston, Ontario, Canada (near lots of family and friends) - to my cottage in the middle of the St. Lawrence River (also for rent May - August!) - and then on to my other home in Oaxaca (near lots of almost- family, and many friends).

So now I'm back in the hotel - here most days - and glad to help guests with anything that will help them enjoy their stay and their travels. With an emphasis on what's going on in Oaxaca.

Thanks for writing! Donna
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

Great location. Easy walking distance to all the great spots. Stayed for 5 nights in the upstairs suite, as I had read previous reviews about noise from the street etc, so I paid extra to be away from the other guests. The street noise was not a problem, but for my entire stay there was a small baby (downstairs) who screamed its lungs out for the entire time, basically ruining an otherwise nice stay. The hotel needs to review their policies regarding children, a minimum age of 8 would be nice. The confines are just too small to accommodate infants or poorly behaved children.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra, stay upstairs in the bridal suite, not huge, but sufficient for 2 people.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Pedude
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Hi pedude – thanks for taking the time to write.
We are truly sorry that your stay was marred by a crying baby. Immediately after your departure in June we changed our policy to EXCLUDE CHILDREN UNDER 6 (as much as they’ve brought lots of fun to the place, as well). The new policy has appeared on our website in both English and Spanish since then.
It was unfortunate that you never mentioned the problem during your stay – we always want to hear as soon as possible if guests are having problems…whether it is with us, their travel plans, their health, or whatever. We’re here to help with whatever comes up! And there’s usually something that can be done…
We’re glad you enjoyed our convenient location and hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip!
Saludos, Donna and the staff of Hotel Azucenas
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

I recently spent 10 nights at this hotel and I loved it! The room was lovely with lots of ventilation and light, the water always hot, the bed comfortable, the neighborhood quiet (for Mexico), the breakfasts nice, the honor bar well stocked and the place is kept immaculately clean. I also really appreciated the staff. On each of my comings and goings they would exit the office prepared to address any needs I might have. They were very kind to speak with me in Spanish and help me with my special requests.

The hotel is well located just two blocks from the Basilica and five from the Zocalo. A quick and lovely walk. I consider it ideally located. Its just the right distance from everything.

This area of Oaxaca along with most of the tourist part of the city is very safe. There is no reason to have concern walking to or from the hotel to the Zocalo--even at night. If you are a bit nervous (as some first-timers are), then walk down Morelos street which is very well lighted, or take a cab (they are dirt cheap here) and if you still don't feel safe, then you should have stayed home in suburbia. :)

There are no TVs in this place--thank God, what a blessing, who needs more TV? The walls are thick but the doors and bathroom windows are thoughtfully designed for ventilation (most 2 and 3 star hotels in Mexico are like this). If you are a loud talker or have teenagers that make noise, or plan on having loud passionate sex with your beloved, you should probably find another hotel. I was not disturbed in anyway by the other gusts and enjoyed them all.

The breakfasts are $50 pesos and are typical Mexican style breakfasts: fruit, fresh juice, bread and jam. I believe this is a good deal. I ate all of my breakfasts here. Coffee is always free and there is a well stocked honor bar.

In the summer, I would recommend asking for a room with a window as I enjoy to sleep with the window open to enjoy the cool summer evenings. In the winter, any room will probably do. The extra fee for room 10 is probably worth it.

Upon my departure at 5pm in the morning the staff had called a cab for me, my bill was ready to go and I was very impressed how the staff made sure I was on my way in the correct cab. From the moment I arrived, to the moment I left, I was well cared for. I felt valued and I appreciate that.

The school across the street was not in session, so I can't speak to that, but I love the shouts and laughter of children. Also, keep in mind that in Mexico that 1,2,3 star hotels and most Mexican homes don't have screens on their windows. In this country screens on windows are a luxury or simply viewed as not necessary given other priorities. That said, when staying at a place in Mexico I always come equipped with repellant which can be purchased at any pharmacy. The good news, they are not as bad here as they are in other parts of Mexico.

Also, don't forget to leave the hardworking and very kind housekeepers a tip. The maids here are lovely women.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Thomas E
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Thanks Thomas E! We love having guests stay long enough that they get to know our staff, the hotel and the neighborhood…
It’s great that you are working on your Spanish! Our daytime staff (and most of the night staff) is bilingual…and we know what it’s like to learn a second language. We’re also glad to help guests find local Spanish language schools, or even arrange private lessons on our terrace.
We ARE centrally located – a block from the Basilica of the Virgin of Soledad AND the outdoor handmade-ice cream stands in front of that church in the Jardin de Socrates, as well as a scattering of nearby coffee and snack shops.
Insect repellant is a good idea in the tropics…but here you also always have the option of a hanging mosquito net for over your bed!
Thanks, too, for your compliments to our wonderful cleaning staff – Sara and Olga have been with us since Day 1, 13 years ago – time enough for Sara to become a young grandmother and for Olga’s youngest daughter to graduate from medical school.
Muchas gracias! Donna
phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

We totally enjoyed this small and comfortable hotel. Far enough away from the Zocalo (10-15 min. walk) to be peaceful, yet still close to things. It was spotless and charming. Plenty of hot water for shower. Room 10 on the balcony is especially recommended. We had the breakfast buffet on the rooftop every day, and it was always fresh and good. We went in July and were concerned about it being too hot (no air), but it was fine, and the fan they provided was more than enough. Gordon and Giovanni were especially nice and helpful. They also helped us arrange air flights to Puerto Escondido, and the tickets were delivered to our hotel. We left luggage there while we spent 3 nights on the coast. On arrival, our flight into Mexico City was delayed, which meant we didn't arrive in Oaxaca the first night as pre-booked. But they didn't charge us for the night, which I thought was very nice. We totally enjoyed our stay there.

Room Tip: Room 10 on the balcony is very private.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hello PhoenixLee, and thanks for all your kind words!
We’re pleased to be small enough that we can get to know our guests, and to keep in touch with what independent travelers are looking for: CLEAN and functional rooms, help when needed, a great common area so you can enjoy the sun, view and getting to know other guests (if they feel like it) – AND handy coffee, breakfast and beer!
And glad that you enjoyed our hospitality – we’re always glad to help with reservations (restaurants, other hotels, travel) and to take care of a few bags while you go to the beach or hiking in the mountains.
Saludos! Donna