“stingy place” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Posada Catarina Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Posada Catarina Hotel
Ranked #86 of 112 Hotels in Oaxaca
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“stingy place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2009

The service her was awful. My friend and I were both sick in bed (me with a headcold, my friend with a digestive problem), and when we called for a roll of toilet paper, the attendant flat out refused. He said the hotel has a one roll of paper per room per day policy, and apparently we had already gone through our quota. In a really embarrasing exchange, I explained the details of my, and my companion's, respective illnesses, and he still said no! He finally caved after my friend and I went out to the front desk and yelled at him in english. It was one of the most humiliating and frustrating experiences I've ever had at a hotel. too bad, the place itself is really cute.

Stayed September 2008
3 Thank Mexican_Hat02

boca raon,fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2008

i stay at the hotel for 3 days the services is excellent, the people is super nice the rooms are big and cheap i pay 50dls for a king size, if you have a chance book your vacations here you will love it

• Liked — great location,service and confort
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gd1270
Idyllwild, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2008

We stayed a total of four nights at Catarina which is located very near the noisey markets, both artisan and other. The night time desk clerk, Julio, was uniformly indifferent and rude to the simplest requests such as replacing the large water bottle on the dispensing machine replying that there was none and that it was "an optional service of the hotel", in Spanish. Keep in mind that water continues to be a serious health issue here. The property itself is very nice and very quiet but that was also due to the fact that it was virtually empty. The owners also own Hotel Roma nearby. There are no services or conveniences offered such as coffee and none is available nearby in the morning for takeout. There is no refrigerator available as we bought some Oaxacan cheese the night before we left. The emphasis here seems to be on giving greater attention to the presentation of the property and its maintenance rather than conveniencing the guests. Diego, the daytime clerk, was always very pleasant although there was never a manager in sight. The room we had was large but be reminded that prices fluctuate daily as when we arrived we paid 700 pesos for the first night and 650 for succeeding nights. Things remain slow in Oaxaca and one can bargain for better hotel rates at higher end hotels. Always ask at the desk for promotions.: "Hay promociones?" in Spanish.

• Liked — large room in higher priced category
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank IDYFRANK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2007

A good friend who travels to Oaxaca often told me about the Posada Catarina and a while later I drove down with two friends and we checked into another hotel very near the Zocalo which really was not wonderful. Strolling about the next day we passed the Catarina and we went in to check it out and promptly returned to our hotel and checked out and moved there.
Nice rooms, great patios throughout, excellent friendly staff and all that we needed for a comfortable pleasant stay of nearly 3 weeks. The price was $30 for a single which fit my budget just perfectly. Small eatery in the front on the corner, the laundry was a block down the street and the Benito Juarez Mercado less than a block away for morning hot chocolate and bolillos. Who could ask for more!
Great roof garden in this old but completely refurbished hotel and every area of it was clean and handsomely decorated. Protected enclosed parking just around the corner and we had no problem filling our van with wonderful purchases and leaving it overnight in the lot.
A great trip in a great town at a fine hotel!
I traveled back to Oaxaca last July, 2006, yes, in the midst of all the turmoil there, but with a group of 14, and we stayed at another hotel nearer the Zocalo. But, i walked the leaders over to the Posada Catarina to show it to them and everyone loved it and on another trip this year in July, we plan to stay there.

• Liked — clean, pretty, cheap
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank edmex
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2007

In July of 2005, I had the pleasure of discovering Posada Catarina--what a great bargain! The staff, especiallly Carlos and Cesar welcome you as if you were a member of their family and treat you royally. It is clean, quiet and located near three markets and a skip and a jump from the zocalo. You are allowed one hour of free internet every day and you have access to the rooftop terrace which is wonderful for entertaining your guests with a glass of wine. My room had a small television, but who wants to watch television while on vacation. The phone worked and messages were always delivered. There was always plenty of hot water. Carlos plays classical music in the lobby which always adds a nice touch. Last July the school teachers had taken over the zocalo, nevertheless the carnival atmosphere was charming.
Again, I spent three weeks there this last December of 2006 when the zocolo had been occupied by the federal police who had displaced the militant teachers. I even got a better bargain at Posada Catarina because not many tourists are visiting Oaxaca these days; however, I always felt safe and the weather was great. Again, Cesar and Carlos who staff the front desk were just delightful and go out of their way to help you. I am beginning to make Posada Catarina my home away from home and plan to return there again this coming July. I heartily ,and without reservation, recommend this friendly hotel. If you want a bargain hotel which is clean and safe with three charming courtyards, this is the place for you. I especially love to entertain my friends on the terrace from which you have a lovely view of Monte Alban. You can hardly believe that you are right downtown until you look down on the street.

• Liked — Great price, service and central location.
  • Disliked — I found everything to be just fine. From this location, you can find everything else.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
6 Thank Andador
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2006

If you are looking for somewhere clean, reasonably priced and well located, this is a terrfic deal.
Will discount if you pay cash in pesos. It was 400 pesos per night / approx USD 38
Close to the Zocolo and 3 markets - very nicely located and easy walking distance to all.
Has a nice terrace on roof. Our room was at the back, overlooking a courtyard garden. It was very quiet and no street noise.
Has all the basic creature comforts including unlimited drinking water.
You have to decide what you are looking for - luxury or basics. Most of the day you are seeing sights and only need a place to sleep.
If you are expecting a lavish ***** hotel this is not for you.
There are no phones or TV in the rooms. No a/c, which you don't need in this lovely mountain climate. A fan was provided and more than sufficient.
If you want a clean nice safe place to sleep, good value - this is an excellent place to stay.
We would definitely stay here again and throughly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2006
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2005

My wife and I have stayed at the Posada Catarina five times. It is comfortable and nicely decorated. There is a fan in the room and is very convenient. Be careful when leaving. The guys at the front desk are running a scam on us gringos saying the taxi to the airport is $1200 pesos. They are getting a kickback from the drivers. Other than that (which leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you leave) it is a nice place.

9 Thank bonesbub