All reviews junior suite a stones throw pool and bar area perfect location small pool lovely pool tamales front desk staff air conditioning colonial charm king bed other hotels third floor shower head we loved our stay central square beautiful building
Selected filters
Reviewed January 21, 2019

We stayed her for 4 nights in room109 which is on the second floor and had windows on the courtyard. It was a junior suite with two queen beds. The room was very spacious, comfortable and quiet.

The location of this hotel is excellent. You can walk to the main square in two minutes. And restaurants, shops, banks and a pharmacy was close at hand. It is a charming building and very clean.

We had breakfast at the hotel two days, it was ok, but there are a lot of other restaurants nearby.

The cons: the shower wasn’t great, I think the shower head just needed a good clean. The futon I. The room, which was the “couch” was uncomfortable. These were minor. Besides that I can’t find anything.

My husband got very ill while we were there, from a meal at a bad restaurant. After 3 days he wasn’t getting better. I asked the front desk for help as he needed to see a doctor. Within Half an hour we had a doctor in our room who checked out my husband and provided him with a prescription for antibiotics and another medication. Cost was 500 pesos or about $35 canadian. This saved our trip as we were flying toHuatulco later that day. It took a day or so tostart working, but he started to feel better.

Room tip: Oaxaca can be a very noisy busy city, I would recommend a room facing the courtyard
Date of stay: January 2019
Reviewed January 11, 2019

We booked and prepaid for 4 nights at the Hotel de la Parra through a well known online website. A week before we were scheduled to arrive we needed to adjust our reservation as our Aeromexico flight from Mexico City to Oaxaca on 12/24 was canceled. Our new flight arrived in Oaxaca on 12/25, so we needed to shift our reservation to arrive a day later and leave a day later than originally booked. I called the Hotel de La Parra and was told that the website that we booked through would need to make the change. I called that website and spoke to Valerie who was able to make an “internal arrangement” with the hotel to accommodate our new arrival and departure. She mentioned that we would have to switch to their sister property on the last night 12/29 as the Hotel de la Parra was fully booked.

When we landed in Oaxaca, the Hotel de La Parra was helpful in arranging a car to collect us at the airport and quickly found a third bed for the room where our three college-aged children were staying. Our first few days were satisfactory. At 2 PM on 12/28, the 2nd to last day of our stay, we were told by Aldo, of the hotel staff, that we had to move out of our two rooms & into the "other building." We were surprised as we thought we wouldn't be moving until the following night, but we delivered our bags to the lobby @3PM and went out for a bite -as we were informed that our new rooms "weren't quite ready yet." We returned @4 PM and learned the rooms were not ready. We settled down in the pool area while we waited for our rooms to be prepared. We waited and waited as the front desk staff told us story (lie) after story (lie) about why our rooms were not quite ready to move into.

Eventually, after hours of excuses, I managed to get Nancy, of the front desk staff, to show me the "hotel" so I could assess the situation for myself. The "hotel" was an active construction zone. When we arrived, a painter was still painting the entryway, we ducked under his ladder, drop cloths and construction debris were everywhere. Our rooms would not be ready for hours or possibly even days! The Manager of the property was overseeing the work; it was quite clear that they would not be ready for us that night -so when I pressed her for a solution she told Nancy to call some other hotels and try to find us accommodations.

We returned to the Hotel de La Parra, and I sat with Nancy for 30 minutes to monitor the work, she made lots of calls but found nothing. At 8 PM we left the hotel to get dinner hoping that they would find us something. I called a friend who lives in Oaxaca to explain our situation and ask if he had any suggestions. He called a friend, who was the owner of City Centro Hotel and found us two rooms. I did not have any faith that the Hotel de la Parra would find a solution, so we took the rooms in the City Centro Hotel.

At 10 PM, we returned to the Hotel de La Parra to collect our bags and learned that they indeed had not found us any accommodations. We called two taxis and departed for the City Centro Hotel, we arrived at 11 PM and moved into our rooms. We paid 14,280 pesos ($714) for two rooms for two nights.

At a minimum, the Hotel de La Parra should issue refunds for 12/28 and 12/29 as they did not have appropriate accommodations for us. If they had any decency, they would issue a refund for our entire stay as compensation for lying to us for more than four hours on 12/28 while wishfully thinking that some miracle would occur and their construction site would magically turn into a habitable hotel.

We prepaid MXN 31,776.36 ($1588 for 2 rooms for 4 nights)

Oaxaca is a lovely city, wonderful accommodations are easily found, do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY from the Hotel de la Parra

Michael Emery

4  Thank SlowBaja
Reviewed December 30, 2018 via mobile

In the center of town it’s one of those place you fall in love when you visit them. Beautiful building, beautiful rooms with nice furnitures, great patio that is used as a restaurant. But as soon as you live in it, you start discovering that it needs maintenance: showers and tubs that doesn’t work properly, a swimming pool that is not properly cared... but overall is a plus!

Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank e103db
Reviewed December 11, 2018

The location and staff are excellent. Like many hotels in the center of town, Hotel de La Parra has a issue with noise, both from the street as well as from within the hotel. The bathroom was disappointing: the plumbing is subpar, leading to sewage-like smells. The smell isn't overwhelming, but it's best to keep the bathroom door closed at all times. The shower had some mold (not much), and had a constant drip.

The pool area was quite lovely, but the water was slightly cloudy, which kept me away.

Despite these complaints, the hotel's location and wonderful staff make it a good value. The front desk was more than happy to arrange transportation for us to the airport, which came in handy as our departing flight was at 7:00am.

Reviewed November 26, 2018

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Boutique de La Parra for a week. We loved the location, a stones throw from the Zocalo and the markets. The rooms were very clean and the staff was over the top friendly. A nice surprise was that the food was also amazing! It was as good as the high end restaurants. Rogelio was our waiter. Very friendly and knew English as most of the staff did. We had a very early flight and the man on duty came quietly to our room at 5:15 to help us with our luggage. We will definitely stay here again. Can’t wait to return to Oaxaca !

Room tip: We were upstairs and didn’t hear any street noise.
Date of stay: November 2018