“Authentic, laid-back class with delicious food”

Cooking Classes Oaxaca
Ranked #2 of 20 Food & Drink in Oaxaca
New York, New York, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Authentic, laid-back class with delicious food”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was a great way to spend an afternoon in Oaxaca: you get a great meal, plus knowledge you can put to use back home. And not just the process of making moles / sauces (which you could find in a good cookbook), but his approach to cooking that comes from his experience as a chef. Once you make the seven bases he teaches you to prepare, you're set up to create a huge variety of finished dishes, which he demonstrates by having you make one dish after another: fry some tortillas, add some black bean sauce and quesillo, that's one dish; combine tortillas, tomato sauce and avocado chunks, that's another dish, etc., and they all taste great. He has you do this enough times that you learn to appreciate the creativity and elegance of Mexican cooking, which is the sort of thing it's tough to learn from a book.

Augustin's a very generous, friendly, knowledgeable guy, and he's got lots of stories to share (which get even better as you work your way through the mezcal together). He speaks excellent English, so we had no communication barriers. The class was easy to arrange: he took our reservations over email and picked us up at our hotel. He walked us through the market, answered our (numerous) questions, and shared his home and beer, so it was a very immersive and authentic experience. It's informal and hands-on, and when you're done you'll be stuffed and probably drunk. If you'd rather sit back and watch a demonstration, a la Food Network, this may not be the right choice for you, but if you want to dive in, I recommend it.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Nate S

Wellington, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Genuine hands-on cooking lesson”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

There are a lot of cooking schools to choose from in Oaxaca. We chose to go with Augustin because we wanted a hands-on experience, not a cooking demonstration. Well hands-on is exactly what we got! After a tour of the market we were straight down to business in the kitchen (cold beer in hand), chopping blending, frying and roasting ingredients while Augustin explained the techniques and answered our questions. It was a totally personalised experience for us - just the two of us and Augustin - which was great. My husband did most of the cooking while I wrote down the recipes and photographed the whole process. Augustin demystified mole, and we were surprised to discover that most of the ingredients we would be able to get back in New Zealand, so we're looking forward to trying our newly discovered recipes on friends and family at home. The food we made (heuveos rancheros, enchilladas, soups and tacos) was all delicious, and chilling out on the terrace while we ate and chatted to Augustin was a great experience. Two very full, sleepy and happy travellers left Augustin's place nearly 5 hours later after what we're sure will be one of our greatest highlights of Mexico.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank FionaHill2013
Berlin, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Interesting! Fun! Delicious!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stumbled across this cooking class on the internet. The reviews sounded promising and I was not disappointed!
When I first contacted Agustino via Facebook re the cooking class he replied within a day. He not only confirmed the cooking class for the requested date but also offered help re hotel and sights etc within Oaxaca. And what a great help he was! He maintained this kind support for weeks and until we actually met him at our hotel on the day of the class.
The usual market tour and what's happening in the class you will read all about in the other reviews. I would just repeat it.
What was also great was that he accommodated us being vegetarian no problem.
He is full of knowledge about food, cooking and Oaxaca. I enjoyed listening to all his stories not only from Mexico but from all over the world.
The food we made was delicious and I learned so much about Mexican/Oaxacan cooking.
However, this is a hands on class. If you want to watch and learn, get a video and stay home.
If you want don't mind getting your apron dirty, learn many interesting facts, meet some nice people and get rewarded and stuffed with the food you cooked then join this class. This was the best thing we did in Oaxaca! Thank you Agustino!

1 Thank northerndelight
El Paso, Texas, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not the most authentic/organized class”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Let me begin by reinforcing that Agustin is a very gracious host who provides plenty of cold beer and mezcal throughout the day. Our class was small (two couples) and that was a big plus because we got to have some hands on time during the cooking process.

What I didn't particularly enjoy was the lack of structure in the class which led to a somewhat chaotic experience. There wasn't a written recipe provided for the class which meant that you either had to write every step along the way or have an amazing memory to recall the entire process later.

Another big negative for me was the lack of authenticity. I'm Mexican myself and although I am no expert in Mole I know for a fact that chicken and beef broth are regularly used to prepare these sauces. We didn't use these ingredients though, and I think it has to do with the fact that Agustin is a vegetarian (although he did provide some sausage and meat in the evening). Along the authenticity lines, for the sake of time Agustin boiled several ingredients that should have been roasted instead. I understand there is a time limit in the class but perhaps roasting the ingredients ahead of time would have been a better compromise than boiling them.

Overall it was an enjoyable evening with drinks and food but I didn't think it was a good cooking class as it pertains to the actual learning process.

5 Thank pctrillo
Berlin, Berlin, Germany
“Highlight of our time in Oaxaca”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Oaxaca is the culinary heart of Mexico, and Chef Agustino's passion for cooking Oaxacan-style really shows! We had a very full day, from the time that Agustino met us at our hotel, to our tour of the markets, to our preparation at his restaurant's roof terrace kitchen of seemingly unending moles and dishes made with them. (Warning: you will leave stuffed and happy about it!) Chef Agustino expects everyone to work in his class, so don't expect to just sit by and watch - but you really do learn by doing, and in our case we had a blast while doing so! Add to that, that Chef Agustino is a very friendly, lovely person (albeit a bit crazy - in a good way) and it is a recipe for a fantastic day. Don't bother with other cooking classes in Oaxaca where you just end up watching as others make a few dishes - go the hands-on rout with Chef Agustino and you will have a much better experience!