“Authentic, hands-on cooking with pro tips”

Cooking Classes Oaxaca
Ranked #2 of 19 Food & Drink in Oaxaca
Madrid, Spain
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Authentic, hands-on cooking with pro tips”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I wanted to find a cooking course in Oaxaca that wasn't a glammed up tourist show but rather a learning experience where I got to participate in the process. The other comments here on TripAdvisor influenced my decision to select Agustín's course and so I signed up, eager to learn how to make Oaxaca's famous but complicated mole.

What Agustín did was demystify mole and he showed us how to make a base from several ingredients and then manipulate the base into various versions of mole. Get this: mole isn't that complicated! Learn the basics and you can make 1,000's of dishes (vegan, veg, and meat) from the same essential ingredients!

Agustín's training and experience in pro kitchens compelled him to teach us proper technique, from seeding chilis and blending ingredients all the way to wiping the plates for presentation. (Hey Agustín, thanks for the avocado seed trick! That was a new one for me!)

I'd say that if you're looking for a genuine experience where you get to learn by doing, this is the class for you. If you're looking for something passive that's more demonstration and less doing, keep looking.

1 Thank Wendy B

Sydney
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Agustino makes the day”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

You can hardly go through Oaxaca without doing a cooking class of the local moles and cuisine. We are glad we chose Chef Agustino for a private lesson. It was in his apartment which is in itself a fascinating insight but he is able to impart his knowledge and love of the sauces and food with enthusiasm. You cannot sit back and cruise even if you wanted to. The reward? The best tasting moles and so much food you don't eat for a week afterwards. And the fridge is always open for a cool drink. Don't miss it.

Peterborough, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Private, in-home cooking class”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I took a cooking class with 2 family members. The class was private - just the 3 of us. Agustin was a generous host - he took us into his home and over several hours enthusiastically led us through several recipes, then set us up to eat an incredible amount of delicious food with beer and mezcal provided. It was a lot of fun.

1 Thank canadiantraveler38
Bar Harbor, Maine, United States
“Cooking in Mexico with Passion”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We love cooking and food and my sister discovered Augustino's cooking school in Oaxaca. We spent a wonderful afternoon, first touring the markets as he purchased ingredients and then back to his apartment to spend the afternoon cooking. We learned a lot about different Mexican foods, all the ingredients in Molé and how to use the five basic sauces to make just about any dish. I had no idea what all the ingredients there were in molé and I was surprised to learn what some of the 30 different ingredients were. Augustino emphasized technique and presentation in the dishes we made. At the end of the class we left with almost a gallon of molé sauce which we've enjoyed the rest of our trip.

Ashland, OR
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great way to spend the day!”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband and I are in Oaxaca for 10 days and came across this very friendly man in front of Santo Domingo church who was offering cooking classes in his home above his family restaurant. We were so fortunate to run into Agustino! For a very reasonable fee he gives you a personalized cooking class, a tour of the main market in Oaxaca (which we had no idea about!), and great company to talk and laugh. He provides cerveza y mezcal (homemade) and we were very full and satisfied and the end of our class (approx. 4-5 hours). As others have stated in their reviews here, he has traveled to many countries, speaks many languages, and is a highly talented chef. We will gladly take another class in the future!