“Posada de Chencho is my home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Posada de Chencho

Posada de Chencho
Ranked #67 of 113 Hotels in Oaxaca
D.C. area
“Posada de Chencho is my home away from home”
Reviewed February 26, 2006

I traveled alone to Mexico; first time there, first time traveling alone. I don't speak Spanish. Chencho's place was recommended to me by an American woman. I'd recommend Posada de Chencho to anyone. The breakfasts were always a delicious suprise, with nice Mexican music and friendly service in a very comfortable dining area. Chencho is a wonderful host; he speaks English, has lived in Oaxaca his entire life, and ha his been in the business for over 40 years. The place is secure; I felt so safe while there. Chencho's grown kids work there too, and were always eager to help me. The rooms are very nice, and room 20, where I spent one week, enjoys the morning sun. Other than an occassional barking dog, no noise problems. If you stay there, make some time to sit and chat with Chenco, he's a very nice and ineteresting gentleman. And be sure to visit the local Policia Turistika base. I made friends with a few of them, and they are eager to assist and to practice their English. One of them served me as a tour guide ... much, much cheaper than the local tour agency. Chencho will tell you all about it. Tell him Katie sent you.

8 Thank Lokum

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Seattle
Reviewed January 5, 2006

We have stayed at Posada de Chencho several times over the past seven or eight years and have always enjoyed the experience. I disagree with the other reviewer's analysis of the neighborhood--I have never found it scary and have often walked "home" from the zocalo alone at night even though I am a petite female. It is simply a working class residential neighborhood. We have always found the neighbors very nice. Quite frankly, it is enjoyable to be away from the tourist atmosphere that often surrounds the zocalo and other areas where there are a concentration of hotels, and to live where real people live.

Stayed February 2004
6 Thank paokano
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2006

My wife and I and our two teenage daughters stayed at Posada de Chencho for five nights over X-mas in two rooms. The experience was mixed;

Pros:
Reasonably priced (but see below)
pretty and secure retreat from the city
Nice sitting room with lots of books
very sweet and friendly staff
High quality breakfast with great service
very clean
we were welcomed and felt part of the family

Cons:
The rates were higher than those listed on the website, or quoted on the phone. Breakfasts were charged at about $7 american and Mr Chencho claimed that was part of the room cost. If you go, get this clear before you book. No charges for breakfast are posted. We did not challenge him too hard as our bus was waiting and it would have made a big scene. No credit cards accepted.
Very little lukewarm water available in our room
Rooms downstairs near the entrance are noisy
Mr. Chencho knows a lot and really offers his help, (in good english) but every piece of information he gave us was a little wrong. - check the facts
The neighborhood is not the best, it was a bit scary walking home at night. It takes 15 minutes from the Zocalo fast walking

Visher

• Stayed December 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 18, 2004

Supremely charming B & B with excellent, clean food and accomodations and beautiful garden. The owner speaks perfect English and is a font of information on all things Oaxaca. "Chencho" is a "yoda" who will enchant you and make you want to come back.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member