“Awesome Class!”

La Cocina Oaxaquena
Ranked #6 of 20 Food & Drink in Oaxaca
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: La Cocina Oaxaquena is a cooking school devoted exclusively to Oaxacan cuisine and specializing in local dishes. The Chef Instructor Gerardo offers comprehensive hands-on cooking classes in a sunny traditionally decorated Mexican kitchen. Two 5 hours cooking classes are available everyday at 9am or 3pm. Pick up and return from your hotel. Price of the class MX$800.00 (USD$60.00) per person.
San Diego, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Awesome Class!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had a wonderful time with the hosts. They were gracious, generous and very accomodating. Felt like I was at home. Class was well presented and the food was incredible! One of the best meals of our trip.

Strongly recommend!

Visited October 2012

Panama City, Panama
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“You never want to stop eating”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Oaxaca food is simply spectacular. From the various Moles to the chocolate and grasshoppers. It is one of the richest cuisines in the world.

My favorites:
Try the black, green, red and yellow moles. My favorite is the black one as it is not very hot.
Tlayudas: tortilla base with black beans and your choice of meat
Quesillo: fresh cheese, you want to eat it in every single dish
Chocolate: organic chocolate that can be enjoyed in a hot/cold beverage or simply in slices.
Mescal creme: similar to the Tequila, Mescal is originally from Oaxaca. It is a strong liquor but you can try the creme which will be something like the Bayles

Try all you can but go slowly. Oaxaca food is spicy (not necessary hot) and lot of tourists mix liquors, food and sweets which might cause stomachache. Make sure you drink lots of water.

Visited October 2012
New Brunswick, New Jersey
“Delicious Food, Great Atmosphere, and a Beautiful Kitchen”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

As part of a month long study abroad trip to Oaxaca, Mexico I took a cooking class at La Cocina Oaxaquena with several of the other people from my group:

Overall: A fun experience that ends in delicious food!

Food: We made Sopa Azteca and Chili Rellenos and both were delicious. Also, I'm a vegetarian and it was no problem for Socorro (the main chef) and her son Gerardo to adjust to my dietary preferences.

Instruction: Some of the comments complain that they didn't really get to do anything or that the language barrier made things awkard, but that wasn't my experience at all. I felt involved in every step - so much so that I even dared to make a similar dish on my own when I got back to New Jersey (and I'm no chef). Also, for those people concerned about language barrier, Gerardo speaks English fluently so there is no issue if someone in the group doesn't speak Spanish.

Atmosphere: The kitchen and the house itself are beautiful - It is covered with artwork and there is a open air patio in the middle of the house (the kitchen itself is covered so no worries if it rains). The family is very warm and friendly and seems to try to accommodate its students in any way possible.

Visited August 2011
New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
“Wonderful experience, fantastic food”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The family was very warm and welcoming to us upon arrival. I attended classes with 6 friends from the United States (New Jersey) to learn traditional Oaxaquena cuisine. We made Aztec Soup and chilli rellenos, both were delicious. The home that the classes are held in was beautiful.

Personally, I just started learning Spanish 2 months before coming to Mexico so it was a bit of a struggle. But with cook Gerardo helping with translating made everything a lot easier. Socorro (the head chef) was very patient with my Spanish, and that enhanced the experience. We had a blast learning the ingredients and cooking together. I highly recommend taking a class or two if you are in the area!

Visited June 2012
Warsaw, Poland
“Mexican Home Cooking School - perfect for me”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I went to the school in March 2012 by myself and felt well taken care of and safe. This trip satisfied my two loves--cooking and colonial Mexican towns.The cooking instruction was fun, informative and delicious. The class was perfect for me, cook Gerardo and his mum was a professional.It was true learning experience. The combination of their beautiful villa, their warm and gracious staff, their generations-old knowledge of authentic Mexican cuisine, and their wonderful stories and humor make this vacation enjoyable and informative

sylvia&pawel from Poland