“Wonderful experience, fantastic food”

La Cocina Oaxaquena
Ranked #6 of 19 Food & Drink in Oaxaca
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: La Cocina Oaxaquena is a cooking school devoted exclusively to Oaxacan cuisine and specializing in local dishes. The Chef Instructor Gerardo offers comprehensive hands-on cooking classes in a sunny traditionally decorated Mexican kitchen. Two 5 hours cooking classes are available everyday at 9am or 3pm. Pick up and return from your hotel. Price of the class MX$800.00 (USD$60.00) per person.
New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
“Wonderful experience, fantastic food”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The family was very warm and welcoming to us upon arrival. I attended classes with 6 friends from the United States (New Jersey) to learn traditional Oaxaquena cuisine. We made Aztec Soup and chilli rellenos, both were delicious. The home that the classes are held in was beautiful.

Personally, I just started learning Spanish 2 months before coming to Mexico so it was a bit of a struggle. But with cook Gerardo helping with translating made everything a lot easier. Socorro (the head chef) was very patient with my Spanish, and that enhanced the experience. We had a blast learning the ingredients and cooking together. I highly recommend taking a class or two if you are in the area!

Visited June 2012

Warsaw, Poland
“Mexican Home Cooking School - perfect for me”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I went to the school in March 2012 by myself and felt well taken care of and safe. This trip satisfied my two loves--cooking and colonial Mexican towns.The cooking instruction was fun, informative and delicious. The class was perfect for me, cook Gerardo and his mum was a professional.It was true learning experience. The combination of their beautiful villa, their warm and gracious staff, their generations-old knowledge of authentic Mexican cuisine, and their wonderful stories and humor make this vacation enjoyable and informative

sylvia&pawel from Poland

Visited March 2012
Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Look elsewhere for cooking classes.”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Firstly, the son that everyone's review raves about wasn't present so perhaps my cookery class would have been completely different if he had been.
As it was, the hostess was his mother and she brought an interpreter who left an hour and a half before the end of the class.
I'd been learning Spanish before arriving but was assured that the class would be completely in English. As it is, I only know basic Spanish it made for a very awkward end to the class as the hostess speaks no other languages. There was another student who happened to speak some Spanish so we spoke via her.
Even so, the hostess had an amazing kitchen and it was wonderful to see the traditional Oaxacan style.
The male member of our group who was also British got to do the lion's share of the cooking which left myself and the other female student just standing on the sidelines. We were allowed to chop and that was it. I knew how to chop pretty proficiently from being about 12 years old so I found it incredibly patronising that I wasn't allowed to do anything. The male member of the class seemed embarrassed and at one stage even said, 'Can another student help with this.' At which point the hostess shook her head!
Several times during the class the hostess mentioned via the interpreter that someone staying in her guest house had an upset stomach. She went on to say that she didn't use pork any more as everyone had an ups. As you can imagine this doesn't exactly give one an appetite. This unease about eating in her kitchen was increased when she picked up cooked food from the floor and placed it back in the dish!
The hostess was abrupt and verged on being rude. At the end of the class she counted students' fees several times before allowing us to leave to make sure we weren't ripping her off! The cost of the class was around £35 each. When you think about how far your money goes in Mexico then this is completely disproportionate. I've seen full time jobs advertised here which pay less than £100 per week.
I tried so hard to enjoy the class as I'd read the rave reviews and spent all of my budget for the day on the class. Ultimately it was incredibly disappointing.
The end result was some stuffed chilli peppers which were very tasty alongside some lack lustre mole.
At the end of the class we did get a recipe folder which earns the kitchen an extra 1/5.

Please try one of the other many classes in the area.

Visited July 2012
3 Thank petitflam
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My girlfriend and I attended the cooking class, making Mole Verde, Aztec Soup, some stuffed chilli peppers and tortillas. Unfortunately we found the experience underwhelming - we were not so much 'making our own lunch' as much as we were doing odd jobs of making a lunch for the class, e.g. chopping tomatoes, stirring a soup. We didn't really find the teaching method to our liking - but perhaps the language barrier was the factor here.

The food was traditionally Mexican, which is a plus if you're looking for that experience, but we didn't find the food particularly praiseworthy (it was a bit bland), though this can be down to individual taste. We find it peculiar how almost all of the ingredients are simply blended to make a sauce... it seems such a shame when you have such a large variety... but that's simply how you make the dishes.

We did however enjoy the visit to Oaxaca's busy market, but it really is an assault of smells and can make you queasy if you're not used to it. We were given a good amount of information about the ingredients and it does set you up to have an exciting cookery class, but it ultimately fell a bit flat once you spend the first 15 minutes cutting up tomatoes.

The cost was very high compared to what else is on offer in Oaxaca - $700 pesos per person - which the hostess did well to count three times over before we left.

Overall, if you're REALLY in to Mexican cooking and food then you'll enjoy it. If you're looking for a new culinary experience then you'd be better off spending the money on some of the fantastic restaurants Oaxaca has to offer.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank David J
Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great cooking class!”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

There are so many cooking classes in Oaxaca, and this one is excellent. Gerard and his mother are fantastic hosts. We made mole coloradito, aztec soup, chiles rellenos and tortillas; they offer many other recipes, too. The class was hands-on and so much fun. Gerard speaks excellent English and also works as a guide, and I would highly recommend his services.

Visited June 2012