TripAdvisor

James S
Excellent School!

516briann
Portland, Oregon

All reviews two weeks learn spanish home stay real world mexican spanish four hours juan jose thought possible significant improvement just returned from a two week taking classes listening skills fellow students similar level the study class sizes are small spanish conversation
Selected filters
Reviewed September 8, 2019

I first attended the Espanol Interactivo Language School in 2016 while on vacation in Oaxaca. Since that time, I visit the school at least twice a year. I really liked the smaller class sizes and the individual attention I received. Studying a language in a city where you can walk out the door and practice your new skills is a big plus. The school is centrally located near several points of interest. After returning home after my first classes, every week for one hour I video conference with one of the school's instructors. This really helps keep my skills sharp. I have confidence and feel comfortable wherever I travel in Latin America. I highly recommend this school in person or on-line.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed September 8, 2019

I took a week of classes at an advanced level, 4 hours per day. The first day I had a classmate but the rest of the week it was just me.

These folks do a good job of assessing your skill level and pairing you with someone at a similar level. Erica pretty quickly spotted my weaknesses and we worked on them while having real conversations. It's a good way to learn. Although I couldn't absorb and integrate everything in just one week, between the lessons and the study guide I took away, I am continuing to improve two weeks later.

This school has some really excellent learning aids which students get a copy of. Mine has one of the best summaries of how and when to use subjunctive I've seen. It's compact enough to make it easy to use, yet thorough enough to make it useful over the long run.

While we were in Oaxaca, someone staying at the same hotel as us took a one week private class specifically to prepare her to make a specific kind of presentation in Spanish. They worked with her pronunciation (she spoke European Spanish), how to add in some "Mexicanisms" since her presentation was going to be to mostly Mexican audiences, and made suggestions about word usage given part of the audience would be adolescents. Their input was thoughtful and she was pleased with what she learned and with the suggestions they made to help her polish her presentation.

The school is a family affair with 3 of the key staff being the mom (the owner) and two of her daughters. This is a great school and it's well worth the money.

Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

This was the perfect place to put the grammar and vocabulary I’ve studied over the past several years into an actual conversation in Spanish. I feel like I broke through a barrier during the three weeks of classes. The classes were structured but in a way that naturally flowed. My teacher, Sandra, introduced topics that were interesting and the class materials helped me learn common expressions that make conversation easier.

The staff all encourage you to relax and not worry about mistakes; this is important to take to heart! They give you a chance to catch your mistakes but correct you if you don’t. Also, the 4 hours of class each day went by really fast! All in all, a great experience.

Reviewed September 4, 2019

I am a language teacher, and was so glad when I discovered Luz and her perfectly named school. This is communicative, supportive and challenging language learning for both the beginner and the advanced student. I loved the smart, integrated program -- interesting conversation, scaffolded language, and real-world exploration in the great city of Oaxaca. I had a wonderful homestay, and appreciated the congenial, welcoming air among the teachers, staff, and my great fellow-students. Español Interactivo has been a fantastic experience for me, -- with special appreciation for my multilingual, multicultural online teacher, Erika. Recommended without reservation.

Date of experience: February 2019
Reviewed September 3, 2019

Hello seekers of Spanish language proficiency ! I visited this school's physical location in December of 2017. Since then I have taken many classes via Skype with my teacher Erika. Virtual classes are a great way to keep things going, and continue learning and practicing on a weekly basis for those of us who cannot get back to Oaxaca City in person.

Erika is always on time, ready to interact, energetic, curious about everything and brings an attitude that just makes learning and conversing fun. Erika's pleasant and happy disposition is infectious ! I very much look forward to my classes ! Coordinating and scheduling classes is easy too.

I highly recommend trying virtual classes regardless of your ability level and even if you never plan to make it to the school in Oaxaca City. I can guarantee that just one class with Erika will make you want to learn more Spanish and gain a better understanding of the magical world of Oaxaca City and Oaxaca's many wonderlands.

You can see my original review here : (you can see my review here : https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150801-d2547110-r566299083-Espanol_Interactivo_Language_School-Oaxaca_Southern_Mexico.html)