“The best mix of solitude and proximity to cultural sites!!!!!!!”

Hotel Hacienda Los Laureles Spa
Ranked #56 of 108 Hotels in Oaxaca
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I was in Oaxaca for the Day of the Dead weekend. At first I was put off by the seemingly far distance from the city center, but ohhhh boy, was I wrong!!!! It is barely a 5 minute cab ride from the hotel to the city center, 8 minutes with heavy traffic. The location couldn´t be better because you get none of the noise and all of the beauty. The rooms are simple but well equipped and the amenities are to die for!!! All natural!!! One other thing you have to try is the amazing restaurant. I´ve been coming to Oaxaca for over 10 years now and it gets a little tiresome to have every single restaurant serve you Oaxacan food. It is amazing cuisine, don´t get me wrong, but it is on the hearty side of world cuisines and after a while you kind of need a break. The hotel´s cheff has put together an excellent mixture of Oaxacan and International dishes on the menu. You have to try the pumpkin flower soup, it is to die for. Last but not least, the service, it is personalized enough not to be invasive which makes the best to go and relax. As a family, as a couple, or just as a nosey lonely tourist, you have got to try this hotel!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Walter R
There are newer reviews for Hotel Hacienda Los Laureles Spa

Reviewed July 24, 2012

My husband just had a wonderful visit to Oaxaca and we recommend it to everyone who loves
culture, Art, Architecture, food, music and wonderful people.

We stayed at Hacienda Los Laureles, it was fun to ride the cab and arrive at this wonderful Hacienda. I love hotels with character. This hotel offers that and beautiful gardens. We were there kind of off season so there were a few guests there and we decided to sleep with our windows open and sleep and wake up to the birds singing, and the smell of the garden and fresh air. The staff including Louise, Fernando Martinez (all one name:) the door man were extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful. Great ambiance, and the restaurant has great food, and is in a great green house setting an extension of the gardens, is very nice. Rooms are spacious, they have a nice pool (we didn't really use it, we were out sightseeing for most of the day), they had a spa and a nice work out room. It is about a $5.00 cab ride to the city center and the restaurant was closed in the evenings, so if you are planning on eating dinner at the hotel be sure and check their hours prior to leaving for the day, again we were there at off season. The water pressure was low in the shower, but they have a safe, hair dryer all the things you get with a higher end hotel. Upon our arrival we had welcome laid out on our bed with flower petals, and every night got a card with a great quote, and candy on the bed. The front desk booked us tours, made restaurant reservations, called us cabs, and even changed our money, they were all very helpful and great! We also met the owner Peter, on our last day which we had shopped so much we were in need of extra luggage and he gave us a suitcase, actually dropped off a suitcase for us so we were able to bring all that we bought home.
It felt like we were in Latin America, and got great personal service.... so we recommend this hotel by all means....and Oxaca is fabulous....it's a must! Massey and Don....L.A

Room Tip: It seemed to me like all rooms were the same. If you go during their busy season and like to hear t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Massey S
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This is an excellent hotel, great food and service, the staff is excellent the rooms are spacious and everything looks better than advertised. Beautiful architecture. I loved it. I will come back to this hotel if I come back to Oaxaca.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Pedro R
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Def not a 5 star hotel, but considering the very limited choices hotels in the city of Oaxaca have, this is one of the best. Rooms are clean and rustic in decoration. You can see hotel needs some updating (water leaks and humidity). Restaurant is very good and I would say it is their best asset. You will enjoy food here. Hotel has a parking lot which in my case helped tons because I'm travelling with my own vehicle in this city. Don't expect the rest of the hotels downtown to have one. This place is a bit off downtown but not too far away. It is though, a bit overpriced for what it offers. Pool is NOT heated and it hasn't been cleaned in a while.

• Stayed: September 2011
7  Thank mrsregino
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Way over priced! About $225 dollars per night. Rented four rooms. Did not give room type reserved on one room and had to be moved. One room did not have handle on toilet to flush, another room had stopped up toilet, another room had broken latch on door window. Restaurant service extremely slow. Swimming pool dirty covered with leaves. Occupants of two rooms couldn't sleep due to excessive noise from street traffic and asked to be moved with no response from hotel staff. Only provided drinking water on first day and must purchase on successive days - $225 dollars per night should provide customers with drinking water. Would never stay here again. Discovered Hotel Victoria is a true 5 star hotel for about 2/3 the price of Los Laureles. This hotel lost the opportunity to host multiple groups in the future that we send. Hotel staff did not seem to care that we were not satisfied.

• Stayed: June 2011
4  Thank Zapataboy
badhonnef123, General Manager at Hotel Hacienda Los Laureles Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2011

Dear Clients response to visit June 11th 2011
This are no exuses but facts in regards to your negative but harsh comments.
and my self like toextend my apolocy to your non sactifatory experience
even so . Ritz Carlton or Four Season have problems on arrivals my I say so.

First I my self attended to your need once mention that the Door panel giving your privacy the fixing the same evening. The W/C was fixed the same hours with no waits
The rates were discounted rates my I mention from Junior Suites

I also mention that we had acrisis at the week time , that a big storm knoked down a 200 year old tree and did damange to the hotel and homes in front of the hotel and the closure of the hotel for a few days, to attent to the $30,000.00 USD damage with all my staff and there may have neglated by paying atention to your rooms

Again sorry for your problems

yours Peter Kaiser

Reviewed April 30, 2011

My wife and I with our two children (5 and 8 year old) stayed at the Hacienda during the Easter week. Wonderful place, gorgeous garden, great meals and friendly service. We have enjoyed this peaceful oasis which is just 10 minutes by taxi from the bustling city center of Oaxaca.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank fregalia
Reviewed March 17, 2011

I stayed a week on business in Oaxaca with my business partner and was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful this hotel was. We were treated wonderfully, the gardens were spectacular, the food amazing, second to none. We utilized the spa as well, which was professional and clean. The staff was attentive, very friendly and polite and could not do enough for us. I came home relaxed and with fond memories. Can't wait for my next visit to Oaxaca! It is a very special place.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business