“Cooking class”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Origen

Origen
Ranked #10 of 461 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
texas
“Cooking class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

We were with a private group of 12 visiting from San Miguel de Allende with chef Michael Coon. He and his wife Valerie organized an afternoon class and lunch with Chef Rodolfo and Pastry chef Gabriele at Origen Oaxaca. It was the best class I've attended and everyone else agreed as well. Chef Rodolfo's passion for Oaxacan cuisine is infectious. He is a very calm, interesting, organized and talented instructor chef. The class kitchen allows everyone to be "hands on" and work all the stations. The meal was fabulous - moles, salsas, a soup, quail, rib eye steak, chile rellenos, and much more made from everything fresh we shopped for earlier at the market. This would be a highlight of a Oaxaca visit for anyone who loves adventures in dining!!! I highly recommend!

Visited March 2014

“Inventive cooking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Wonderful, wonderful ceviche. Maybe the best I have ever had. All choices are interesting. This is truly a place for a sophisticated diner. Not to be missed if you care about great food. Also, lovely atmosphere and good service.

• Visited March 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Excellent, interesting food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

The food is interesting and tasty, not the standard Oaxacan fare. I had quail - well spiced - and goat confit, for example. In addition to individual menu items they have a tasting menu which requires that the whole table order it. The ambience is comfortable and the service excellent. It is on the second floor and requires that a diner be able to climb stairs to get there.

• Visited February 2014
Bucerias, Mexico
“Excellent choice in Oaxaca”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

We arrived at 6:30pm with a group of eight people without a reservation for dinner and they were able to accommodate us. The restaurant rapidly filled up after that. We were all looking for something a bit different and Origen provided that - the selections were a nice twist on the more traditional Mexican dishes... sort of a Mexican fusion menu. The menu offered a large variety of choices, the wine menu was extensive. Everyone chose a different dish and we were all very pleased. Everything was well presented and the service was excellent. Origen is a bit more expensive, but certainly still reasonable. We enjoyed a wonderful evening. It is worth a try.

• Visited February 2014
Long Beach, California
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

I had a wonderful experience here. I was told that they open at 1pm on Saturday and I arrived alone and without a reservation. 1pm is early for lunch in Mexico and I was the only one there until about 1:45pm people started arriving in droves. My waiter, Oscar, was very attentive and knowledgable about the menu. I started out with the ceviche and had the chicken dish (sorry, I don't have exact name from menu) for my main course. For dessert, I had "chocolate bolillos" with a scoop of strawberry and mint ice cream. Best meal I've had in ages. Everything was fresh, and presentation immaculate. I walked out of Origen a very happy customer.

• Visited January 2014