“high expectation....disappointed by the high reviews on trip” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 399 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Sao Paulo, SP
“high expectation....disappointed by the high reviews on trip”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

the place is unfar from the zocalo and if you get in the old mansion it looks really cozy and nice and gives you a good first impression. The menu choice and the food and wine carte disappointed us truly. I dont understand why they are top listed. They only serve European and mostly Italian wines. I am fond of Argentinian and Chilean wines and beeing in this part of the world you expect to have at least a choice. The salads ( octopus and a cesar) were really disappointing. The combination of the consistence was badly choosen. We left disappointed and went to buy an ezquite on the main square to at least something nice before getting back to the hotel. Not worth the visit unless you like to have a glass of italian red wine.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Ronaldo S

Mexico City, Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food, must try!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I loved Origen, the menu is amazing and the food is truly fantastic, I haven't had such great food in a while. The reason I don't give it 5 points is because for me is necessary to give impecable service to get it, and it wasn't the case. While it wasn't terrible it certainly wasn't on the level of the place (in terms of quality and prices), I think the waiters need a little more training since we asked for recommendations and they didin't have any clue about the food or the way it was cooked or anything like it. I recommend the lamb and the banana tacos. Amazing!

• 4 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Canada
“Complex but subtle flavours in an upscale but home-style atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We went to Origen Oaxaca just a few hours after arriving in the city for the first time. I had heard great things about how the chef puts a new take on traditional Oaxaca food, and this was certainly the case. The sweetbread tostada was delicious, as was the tongue carpaccio. My lamb loin and chop with Mexican grits was incredible, and the bites I had of my husband's sous-vide chicken with peanut and chile sauce was tender and delicious. The set up is a little odd in the way that there is no obvious host/hostess to greet guests when they come in, but don't be deterred... simply stand in the first dining room until someone comes to talk to you to enquire about a table. We say a few people come in, and not knowing where to ask for a table, shrug their shoulders and walk away. Too bad for them!

• 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank EatnDrinknRoamn
Toronto
“An Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have visited most of the culinary and exquisite locations in Italy, Spain, France, Portugal, USA to name a few. However, dining @ Origen @ 820 Miguel Hidalgo in Oaxaca, Mexico was a pleasurable experience. we had several meals between lunch and dinner and thoroughly enjoyed every bite in every dish. We would certainly visit Oaxaca again just to enjoy having lunch and dinner @ Origen. The staff and the management are professional, friendly and helpful in explaining the menu choices and its ingredients which are all fresh organic brought directly from farm. The atmosphere of the restaurant is tasteful and unpretentious. This was the highlight of our vacation.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Unforgettable meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

After reading the great reviews of this place, I had to check it out. Started off with a tostada of fried sweetbreads, avocado, and pasilla chiles. Delicious. Main course was a crispy pork belly over rice and beans, topped with a mango and red onion slaw. Out of this world. The pork belly was nice and crisp on the outside, while maintaining a warm and tender center. Pair that with a glass of syrah, and I had a perfect meal. My friend had the squid ink pasta, which was also very good. Attentive service, a great view into the open kitchen, and when the bill arrived I couldn't believe what a great value it was. Kudos to the chef!