“An Amazing Experience”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I have visited most of the culinary and exquisite locations in Italy, Spain, France, Portugal, USA to name a few. However, dining @ Origen @ 820 Miguel Hidalgo in Oaxaca, Mexico was a pleasurable experience. we had several meals between lunch and dinner and thoroughly enjoyed every bite in every dish. We would certainly visit Oaxaca again just to enjoy having lunch and dinner @ Origen. The staff and the management are professional, friendly and helpful in explaining the menu choices and its ingredients which are all fresh organic brought directly from farm. The atmosphere of the restaurant is tasteful and unpretentious. This was the highlight of our vacation.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

After reading the great reviews of this place, I had to check it out. Started off with a tostada of fried sweetbreads, avocado, and pasilla chiles. Delicious. Main course was a crispy pork belly over rice and beans, topped with a mango and red onion slaw. Out of this world. The pork belly was nice and crisp on the outside, while maintaining a warm and tender center. Pair that with a glass of syrah, and I had a perfect meal. My friend had the squid ink pasta, which was also very good. Attentive service, a great view into the open kitchen, and when the bill arrived I couldn't believe what a great value it was. Kudos to the chef!

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were a group of 6 with a baby in a stroller. They sat us at a brightly painted picnic table.The bench was very heavy, almost immobile, so some of us had to climb up to sit down.The six of us started off with 3 appetizers, all delicious, and scraped the plates clean. The main entrées were delightfully prepared, using local ingredients, colorfully presented, but there was still room for dessert. We shared three desserts, but nobody complained of being stuffed, i.e. food was light and portions were satisfying. We finished off with a coffee, and all agreed that the food was tasty and original. I didn't think the wine list was very interesting; there was nothing that caught my eye. Service was nice. The chef asked us how things were, and was interested in our reactions. We easily shared that the food was excellent. This restaurant is definitely about taste and presentation. Top notch and original, just like the name.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We came upon the Origen quite by chance - the entrance is not obvious and the restaurant is small.
The rib-eye and duck we had were quite superb. There was also a wide choice of local Mexican cuisine and a good wine list. Understated but very classy and excellent service. It is difficult to understand why they do not promote themselves more obviously on the street. Well worth looking for.

1  Thank scirocco21
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Chef Rudolfo Castellanos takes the amazing variety of ingredients available locally to a new level. Seriously good food well presented. I enjoyed a lovely piece of dorado, atop rice, surrounded by a chorizo broth. Terrific flavors and the best excuse for drinking red wine with fish. Origen also offers a cheese plate with four Oaxaqueno cheeses accompanied by a tart/sweet tomato 'jam'. Great wine selection and a good tempranillo by the glass.

Best restaurant meal on my trip to Oaxaca.

1  Thank fls35